• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magnitude 7.1, 6.4 earthquakes strike Kumamoto in Kyushu, Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://www.ibtimes.com/japan-earthquake-62-magnitude-kumamoto-rocks-western-end-country-2353721
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...itude-6-4-earthquake-strikes-kumamoto-kyushu/

A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.4 struck Kumamoto Prefecture and surrounding areas in Kyushu Thursday evening, the Meteorological Agency said. No tsunami warning was issued.

The quake, which logged the highest 7 on the Japanese earthquake intensity scale, jolted Kumamoto at around 9:26 p.m. Places around Kumamoto also recorded strong jolts ranging between 3 and lower 5 on the Japanese scale, along with several aftershocks.

NHK footage showed cameras set up on top of buildings swaying hard as the temblor hit the region. The weather agency said the earthquake is believed to have struck at a depth of 10 km.

JR Kyushu suspended all operations on the Kyushu Shinkansen Line following the quake. On the Sanyo Shinkansen Line connecting the Honshu mainland and Kyushu, power was lost between Hakata and Kokura stations but operations later resumed at around 9:40 p.m.

Following the quake, Kyushu Electric Power Co. said it found no abnormalities in its Sendai nuclear plant in Kagoshima Prefecture. The operator said it is further looking into any possible damage.

As far as I can tell, no deaths, tsunamis, or other major disasters reported, so have some Twitter destruction photos:

CgAMv1UUkAAAxcV.jpg

CgAM-pMUMAExMcw.jpg

Pachinko parlor mess:
https://twitter.com/infinity77777/status/720590280383004672

e: Ignore dumb different-situation lion photo, sorry!

RoKKeR

Felt a little bit of it here in Tokyo. Hope everybody down there is alright. 7 on the scale is pretty crazy, thank God there is no tsunami.

I was getting notifications from facebook all day yesterday that my friends/relatives were marked "safe" in regards to the earthquake in Myanmar. Unless it went pretty far I dunno why because I don't have any family in Myanmar

Even felt it here in Osaka. We are on the 14th floor so we got light swaying for about 20 seconds. Always surprising when we can feel noticeable tremors from so far away....

At least this time it wasn't off the coast or at a depth to cause a tsunami and it doesn't seem like there were any deaths or major injuries. Yay for Japan building codes!

In Kagoshima prefecture under Kumamoto, we felt it and are still feeling aftershocks.

Not as bad as Fukuoka or the epicenter but certainly has been shaking quite a bit. Seems to have calmed down a bit and hopefully nothing major to disturb everyones sleep. Though there has been some structural damage and fires in Kumamoto. The camera footage shaking like crazy and of all the dust getting rocked off the castle was pretty amazing.

hiro4

Damn, can't remember the last time there was an Earthquake in Kumamoto.
Hurricanes in the summer aren't unusual though.

Gonna check up on friends who live there.

Piichan

Banned
Huh, my gf claimed to feel an earthquake at that time here in Tokyo, I didn't feel it though. Very far away but strong enough.
I'm on the east side of Tokyo. Felt nothing, but I was too focused on Bayonetta 2 too notice maybe lol.

My friends in Kyushu seem to be fine. Hopefully it'll just be limited to material damage... And no after quakes please...

FuuRe

Hopefully no one suffers in Japan due to this

Funnily enough here in Chile we woke up to a 5.3Mi one today

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom