• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magnitude 7.1, 6.4 earthquakes strike Kumamoto in Kyushu, Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
548483269.jpg

Time for the practice to pay off!

This made me cry

OT but seriously they were terrible at rescuing that Zebra

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Huh, my gf claimed to feel an earthquake at that time here in Tokyo, I didn't feel it though. Very far away but strong enough.
There was a strong-ish but very short earthquake in Tokyo a bit earlier than the big one in Kumamoto, but that's it. The interesting part is that Tokyo was the epicenter of the one here.

There was a strong-ish but very short earthquake in Tokyo a bit earlier than the big one in Kumamoto, but that's it. The interesting part is that Tokyo was the epicenter of the one here.

I felt the one in Tokyo, I actually thought it was a bomb or something at first because of how abrupt it was.

cj_iwakura

Was it in the middle of the night? Thought I heard a train at one point.

I'm not sure how some of you felt it in Tokyo. I'm in Osaka and didn't feel a thing.

I have a friend in Kumamoto, glad she's okay. Sorry for the loss of the others.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm not sure how some of you felt it in Tokyo. I'm in Osaka and didn't feel a thing.

I have a friend in Kumamoto, glad she's okay. Sorry for the loss of the others.
Like I mentioned before, shortly before that big one hit, there was a smaller earthquake with the epicenter in Tokyo, so people are probably confusing it with that.

Like I mentioned before, shortly before that big one hit, there was a smaller earthquake with the epicenter in Tokyo, so people are probably confusing it with that.

Tokyo is definitely a stretch, but a few of my co-workers felt it here in Osaka which is still kinda crazy.

My building is very tall (25 stories) and built to sway with earthquakes so it tends to be pretty sensitive to tremors.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Tokyo is definitely a stretch, but a few of my co-workers felt it here in Osaka which is still kinda crazy.

My building is very tall (25 stories) and built to sway with earthquakes so it tends to be pretty sensitive to tremors.
My biggest fear earthquake related fear is experiencing a big one while I'm at work, since I'm on a high floor and like you said, these things sway like crazy.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My biggest fear earthquake related fear is experiencing a big one while I'm at work, since I'm on a high floor and like you said, these things sway like crazy.

Yeah the worst part to me isn't even the swaying. It makes me a little queasy.

The creaking and popping sound you can hear though? That shit sends shivers up my spine.

The creaking and popping sound you can hear though? That shit sends shivers up my spine.

Ugh. Same here. I'm not living in Japan anymore but for 2 years after the Tohoku quake, the apartment we lived in would randomly pop and creak and give off slight tremors, sometimes even when there was no earthquake. It sounded like it was settling.

I was deathly afraid that the whole thing would collapse on me but since it was new-ishly built in 2005, there was probably not much cause for concern.

Davidion

Edit: oh goddammit, didn't read the whole thread and thought they got away without casualty...sorry to hear about the loss and injury of life.

CgAOm-AVIAA-mQi.jpg:orig

Tragic...

You people laugh...but how many of you would be PISSED if you were hungry and that was your ramen?

Piichan

Banned

Last time I had one at work, I was on the 19th floor, sitting right besides a window. Looking down outside while the building was swaying pretty hard was wild.

I also had earthquake once when I was in an izakaya on the basement floor. Earthquakes while underground are pretty strong too lol.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Seems like there was another one a few minutes ago, magnitude 7.1.
01:25 - 7.1
01:30 - 5.2
01:33 - 4.2

All around 10-13km deep. What the heck is happening there?

Also a tsunami warning. I hope this craziness will stop soon.

Lenardo

Banned
there is a VEI-7 volcano right there on the island too...

and it has been ~200yrs since it's last VEI-7 major eruption

last time it erupted...well lets just say,,, it was not pretty.

it was 1816...the Year Without A Summer.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm just praying that these are aftershocks, not preshocks, since according to wikipedia, the distinction is made after the fact and there doesn't really seem to be a way of differentiating them before.

Really scary stuff. For all its wonders, the Earth can be truly terrifying. Hoping things will settle down and no further lives have/will been lost.

7.1 This is major. 1 million + people around the epicenter. And very shallow. It happened around 2 am there so details are still sketchy.
Probably needs a new thread title.

B.O.O.M

Stay Safe Japan

Guys sorry for this Q which is probably a dumb one, can this affect residents in Nagoya? I know the places are far apart so it's unlikely but I thought I should ask. I have family there

Lucumo

Stay Safe Japan

Guys sorry for this Q which is probably a dumb one, can this affect residents in Nagoya? I know the places are far apart so it's unlikely but I thought I should ask. I have family there

So far, nope. Look at this map.

Also, another few just hit. 4.4, 5.X shortly before.

/edit: More data said it was 4.1.
(Showing during the quake was like 4.1->5.3->4.4. Guess I should wait for clear numbers.)

Unfortunately, Japan is one of the most seismically active areas on the planet. Earthquakes of this size aren't too uncommon there. Thankfully, the experience of this means Japan has some of the best practices for mitigating and minimizing damage from earthquakes. Still a disaster though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom