• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magnitude 7.9 earthquake off the coast of Costa Rica, Caribbean-wide Tsunami Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
San Jose (capital city) is pretty much unharmed.
But there are news of damaged buildings while getting close to epicenter zone.
Still not a report of a single death which is encouraging.

523116_10151005231092854_615754197_n.jpg

San Jose (capital city) is pretty much unharmed.
But there are news of damaged buildings while getting close to epicenter zone.
Still not a report of a single death which is encouraging.

Yes! I'm so happy. It felt incredibly strong where I live. You have no idea. I'm so happy there are no reported death. This one was strong enough to kill many. Luckily and thankfully it failed to.

Ok, so 2 deaths reported now. A woman who died from a heart attack from the scare and a guy who was crushed by a wall that fell on him.

Wow it relieving to know almost everyone is ok considering the magnitude. Haiti's earthquake was 7.0 on richer

Fireblend

Banned
Costa Rican here (hello CR-GAF!). I'm fine, the earthquake was pretty strong but I'm nowhere near the epicenter (San José) and the place where I work was unscathed. I'd never actually evacuated a building before today though, and tremors/earthquakes are pretty common around here. Seems like this is nowhere near a tragedy though, we were very lucky.

Also, I've been collecting some pictures:

More pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/fq7oJ

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Guys I'm still in shock. I had never felt anything like this. I'm sorry, I'm to emotional right now. It lasted so long. It hapened just like at 40-50 kilometers from where I live. I was able to get out my home and mmy house is made of wood. It looked like rubber. I was sure it was going to fall. Many people lost everything. I just got the power back. It was a nightmare.

Make sure to get your home inspected for structural and foundation damage when you get the chance. Strong earthquakes can do some nasty things to standing structures that isn't always obvious to the naked eye.

Charles, have you or your neighbours contacted Comision Nacional de Emergencias (Costa Rica Civil Defense Agency)to request for assistance?

no. Everyone seems to be ok. just some structural damage. and things like people losing their tvs, but nothing much, not close at least. I it's incredible when I think about it.

Fireblend

Banned
no. Everyone seems to be ok. just some structural damage. and things like people losing their tvs, but nothing much.

It might be good if you fill out this USGS survey, I already did but your experience seems to be much more significant, being closer to the epicenter and all. Hope you're ok, man. Stay with your close ones, and beware aftershocks, specially if there was any significant structural damage.

Here's some more pictures and videos, courtesy of a local newspaper: http://www.nacion.com/MenuEspeciale...px?id=2191&type=Galeria&sid=1&section=El+País

Fireblend

Banned
Fireblend, where are you?
I'm in Tibas and it felt really strong.

Do you have the day off? lucky bastard!

I'm in Curridabat and no, no day off :( my gf works at UCR and she got the day off though!
lucky bastard

Seriously strong quake indeed, as I said I have never actually evacuated a building before due to a quake, and I've lived here all my life.

dacuk

I'm in Curridabat and no, no day off :( my gf works at UCR and she got the day off though!
lucky bastard

Seriously strong quake indeed, as I said I have never actually evacuated a building before due to a quake, and I've lived here all my life.

I work from home (Hatillo) and my wife and me ran to hold the TVs while containing our dogs from going crazy.

Well, most likely I will go to work (hate it). I am from Heredia. The earthquake was really strong, was playing guild war 2 with the GAF guild, at the time.

Its sad that when I see a thread like this I now thing "Only a 7.9? Meh not a big deal".

Megadisasters have desensitized me.

You know, I had just woken up and was siting by the computer checking gaf when it happened. At first I was a bit startled and when it didn't stop I got up and run to open the door. I was glad I never lock it, the wall were bouncing. I got out and run to the clear patch on my front yard. The house looked like rubber. it was amazing. I never thought a house could move like that.

It might be good if you fill out this USGS survey, I already did but your experience seems to be much more significant, being closer to the epicenter and all. Hope you're ok, man. Stay with your close ones, and beware aftershocks, specially if there was any significant structural damage.

Here's some more pictures and videos, courtesy of a local newspaper: http://www.nacion.com/MenuEspeciale...px?id=2191&type=Galeria&sid=1&section=El+País

I filled it. Estimated intensity VII

someone in that town south of you, near the epicenter filled in one with a IX rating. Think they're over egging it, or is it seriously fucked down there?

It was very very strong. Obviously I don't know much about the intensity of earthquakes and how a 9 such feel, but it felt incredibly strong.

My house looked like jello during the earthquake. I don't undestand I practically lost nothig. The tv was inches from falling. An aunt lost 4 tvs.

I was in Heredia during the cinchona earthquake, but it felt nowhere near this one. Actually this is the first one I experience where I actually thought to myself so this is qhat a true earthquake feels like.

7.6 is pretty strong.

Since the 7.6 earthquake in Costa Rica, a volcano in nearby Nicaragua called Apoyeque has been having some volcano-related tremors. Large earthquakes in the past have been shown to trigger volcanic eruptions later.

Local volcanologists are planning to travel to the volcano to investigate.

Some trivia:
Apoyeque, with a volcanic explosivity index (VEI) of 6, the second highest, had one of the largest explosions known in history, last erupted in about 50 BC.

With a history like that, hopefully it's not waking up again.

mv3Zi.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Really glad that most of Costa Rica is safe.
My grandparents live in Naranjo and I have lots of family spread out there.

I was in a small quake there as well when I was young. Also scared me very much.

Well, I don't know if it was triggered by the earthquake, but another volcano in Nicaragua, different from the one I wrote about above, has now erupted.

San Cristóbal

422671_433825236667721_1100335600_n.jpg

557492_433825443334367_1051911869_n.jpg

386230_433850036665241_1866651431_n.jpg

3,000 have been evacuated and there are no reports of injuries thankfully.

pestul

Yikes, I hope that big one doesn't go off. VEI 6 is huge and bad news for the region and perhaps a part of the Northern Hemisphere.

Just had another earthquake. It felt really strong. Since the big one we've had a couple of 5.4 ones, but the one that just happened was much stronger. Small quake have't stopped happening since the 7.6 one. I feel at least 3 a day and much more the first few day. It's midnight here :/

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just had another earthquake. It felt really strong. Since the big one we've had a couple of 5.4 ones, but the one that just happened was much stronger. Small quake have't stopped happening since the 7.6 one. I feel at least 3 a day and much more the first few day. It's midnight here :/

Damn, hope it settles down soon and this hasn't caused any damage :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom