• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAJOR Gran Turismo 5 Rumors (2009 December Release?)

Niks said:
Can someone please post the image of GT5 features "roadmap" from one of the KY presentations?

This?

dorv6d.jpg

Cruzader

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Am I the only one that thinks many recent issues in the gaming industry (pricing, value, quality) can be directly attributed to a post like the one I quoted?

So, I should shut up about any pricing complaints I personally may have because Sony will sell a lot of copies and make a lot of money?

EDIT: if I misread you I apologize, but I don't get what else your point might be

Just because you dont like to pay for certain things doesnt mean the fans of said game wont pay up for premium content. Based on the 'free wipeout w/austrian account thread', seems you'd like everything for free.

Firewire

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Am I the only one that thinks many recent issues in the gaming industry (pricing, value, quality) can be directly attributed to a post like the one I quoted?

So, I should shut up about any pricing complaints I personally may have because Sony will sell a lot of copies and make a lot of money?

EDIT: if I misread you I apologize, but I don't get what else your point might be

The die hard fans of GT will pay whatever for a new GT, these are the people that will still be playing GT5 years from now. The not so die hard, the ones that might play this for a few months at best will be given the option to choose a cheaper version.

If this premium content package is tied to DLC content and possibly a track editor than it won't really appeal to the more casual fans of the series. The way I figure it Polyphony is being somewhat reasonable with this, why force someone to pay for features they might not use?

There really is no wrong in this, because I'm sure if you choose the cheaper version and decide you want the bells and whistles of the premium package you'll be able to get it in the form of traditional DLC.

And lets be a bit honest here, we are unlikely to see DLC in the first 6 months after GT5's release, most of the casuals will have moved on.

CHRP718

Banned
Day 1 for the Premium Gran Turismo 5.
Its been a long time but my favorite franchise will return :D
E3 is going to be huge
for SONY

mrbagdt

kenta said:
I tried to think of a better way to phrase that but it would have been too long and pedantic so I just left it. I think you understand what I'm trying to say, though

The word "franchise" certainly comes to mind. :lol I get what you're saying though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
At this point, I'm more excited for Need for Speed Shift than GT5. Just my honest opinion.

If Polyphony puts Lamborghinis in GT5 to compliment the Ferraris, though, I may give it a shot.

I never played a GT game. What makes it different than other racers? Could it outsell Mario Kart? Although I'm guessing that GT5 cost 100x more to develop than Mario Kart.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
RavenFox said:
Which copy did you just play? Oh wait you didn't right? Also this is GT not some BS where idiots ram into your car all day like a derby of sorts.

No, this is GT where idiots ram into your car to slow down around turns or ram into your car with no repercussions. When was the last time you played a GT?

I will SHIT BRICKS if this is true (Dec). My racing wheel is permanently sitting infront of my recliner in the basement waiting for this game.

I hope they are careful releasing two sku's so they dont confuse customers into thinking the expensive copy is the "real" copy. I will be all over that version though, its like paying a lifetime membership in a MMO.

Leon S. Kennedy said:
I never played a GT game. What makes it different than other racers? Could it outsell Mario Kart? Although I'm guessing that GT5 cost 100x more to develop than Mario Kart.
Mario Kart is a lot more fun(Personal opinion), but it's also easier and not meant to convey any realism. GT is the exact opposite of that in every way. It's a lot harder but much more satisfying when you win and work your way up.

As for sales, the franchise has always been a high seller, if not the highest.

mr_nothin

Banned
Leon S. Kennedy said:
This WHOLE post is a joke right?

Ranger X

gantz85 said:
5. Two release versions, one SKU where you pay a large amount of money that allows you free excess to all future vehicle DLCs and another SKU which you have the option to purchase singular DLCs for.

What the fuck does this bullshit mean? lol

iceatcs

Valkyr Junkie said:
Hoping for:

A) Realtime time of day progression
B) Realtime weather
B) No damage
Sound perfect for Le Mans 24, in realtime 24 hours. You don't want your car get damage/crash at 23rd hours

Cruzader

Banned
Ranger X said:
What the fuck does this bullshit mean? lol

Well its like a premium service + game. You only pay once and you'll get all the DLC.(just like Qore membership) while if you dont pay for the premium membership(sku) you'll have to buy the DLC seperately like all games have now. (basic sku)

Ranger X

Cruzader said:
Well its like a premium service + game. You only pay once and you'll get all the DLC.(just like Qore membership) while if you dont pay for the premium membership(sku) you'll have to buy the DLC seperately like all games have now. (basic sku)

Ok I understand. This is actually a nice option then. I certainly won't buy the premium since there's nothing to gain in this case.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ranger X said:
Ok I understand. This is actually a nice option then. I certainly won't buy the premium since there's nothing to gain in this case.

There very well may be. If the DLC packs are say 5 bucks a piece, and there are 4 in the first year, but the premium version only costs 15 dollars more, you will have already gotten a pack for "free".

Its all in the amount and frequency of DLC that would make this worthwhile or not.

iceatcs said:
Sound perfect for Le Mans 24, in realtime 24 hours.
Why would anyone choose to do something this tedious? I once did a real time F1 race in a PC game and that was bad enough.

(Not to mention that by the end I had already lapped everyone 3x over)

Cruzader

Banned
AndyD said:
There very well may be. If the DLC packs are say 5 bucks a piece, and there are 4 in the first year, but the premium version only costs 15 dollars more, you will have already gotten a pack for "free".

Its all in the amount and frequency of DLC that would make this worthwhile or not.
Exactly.

The premium sku will only be relevant to get if theres plenty of DLC released within the year.

Firewire

Banned
squatingyeti said:
No, this is GT where idiots ram into your car to slow down around turns or ram into your car with no repercussions. When was the last time you played a GT?

And what racing game doesn't have idiots playing it?

If you really want the racing experience you have to play with the die hard. These are the people that don't bump, they know how to take corners, they know the tracks and they don't race down the track backwards just to have a head on collision with others.

Every racing franchise I've ever played has the true racing fans that won't do that crap, hell I always played RR7 with the die hard Japanese fans, they frowned on the littlest bump in a corner, and they where the first to congratulate you on a excellent run or time.

The fact is you won't find these guys racing against idiots, they want the challenge from those that seek the best lines and who crave shedding 1/10 of a second off there track record. And in case your wondering these people don't give a shit about damage and collision effects because they aren't racing like that.

Ranger X said:

Well I assume it would be cheaper to buy the premium version compared to x amount of DLC, that would be the incentive, for the person planning on buying all future DLC. Think of it like an MMO, you could pay 200 for a lifetime membership which is like 1years worth, that is definitely worth it for diehard players.

I agree with Melfice as well, along with a proper penalty system ofcourse.

Firewire

Banned
Leon S. Kennedy said:
Could it outsell Mario Kart?

The series has sold more than 50 million units. In terms of anyone GT game going up against a Mario Kart game who the hell knows, who the hell cares?

Firewire said:
And what racing game doesn't have idiots playing it?

If you really want the racing experience you have to play with the die hard. These are the people that don't bump, they know how to take corners, they know the tracks and they don't race down the track backwards just to have a head on collision with others.

Every racing franchise I've ever played has the true racing fans that won't do that crap, hell I always played RR7 with the die hard Japanese fans, they frowned on the littlest bump in a corner, and they where the first to congratulate you on a excellent run or time.

The fact is you won't find these guys racing against idiots, they want the challenge from those that seek the best lines and who crave shedding 1/10 of a second off there track record. And in case your wondering these people don't give a shit about damage and collision effects because they aren't racing like that.
I think he wants to mention "another" game.

Cheeto said:
You want this?

But not that? wtf?

Not everyone cares about damage. I only want it in so people will stop complaining about it. But it's nothing that i'm personally looking forward to using so i'll just end up turning it off.

Firewire

Banned
Cheeto said:
What racing game's physics make ramming into someone a viable way to take a turn?

Go look at some video's of other racing games, just because damage is involved it doesn't stop idiots from doing it, you just have to be a bit more careful. Seriously I don't know why people race against such turds it totally destroys the purpose of a racing game.

iceatcs

Psychotext said:
Why would anyone choose to do something this tedious? I once did a real time F1 race in a PC game and that was bad enough.

(Not to mention that by the end I had already lapped everyone 3x over)
Weak! :p
You think I would doing that all the time, no man can do that even 24 hours driver don't do that. That's why they have 3 drivers in this race.

But good idea for party game swap someone and see if the last 6 hours will be manage after many boozes lol.

Firewire said:
Go look at some video's of other racing games, just because damage is involved it doesn't stop idiots from doing it, you just have to be a bit more careful. Seriously I don't know why people race against such turds it totally destroys the purpose of a racing game.
They though playing FPD that's why!

Cruzader said:
Just because you dont like to pay for certain things doesnt mean the fans of said game wont pay up for premium content. Based on the 'free wipeout w/austrian account thread', seems you'd like everything for free.

You completely missed my point.

It's hard to not gleam at least the gist of what someone is saying when it's only two sentences long and in well formed english, but congrats, you did it.

Night time tracks would look glorious on the GT5 engine.

Weather conditions would be really cool too, but it would probably be too much to handle.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Firewire said:

I only race against my friends in Forza, we're certainly not hardcore gearheads but we're gentlemanly drivers overall. Damage adds a lot to the game, it really ups the stakes if you want to try an overtake or something. Plus it's just cool coming around the next lap and having to contend with a fender on the road. And it makes for some cool screenshots as well. :)

I certainly hope they add damage (and weather effects a la PGR4).

avaya

Do not want any form of shitty acrade damage in this game. At all.

The computing power is not there to pull off damage in any acceptable fashion.

I'm safe in the knowledge Kaz agrees with this and will not include damage.

As posted real time time of day progression and real time weather is all I really want in addition to better collision phsyics.

Driving model is pretty much spot on, maybe a few tweaks here and there but if you actually drove some of these cars in rela life you would realise the driving model is the best on console.

1-D_FTW

Firewire said:

Because they wanna race at their convenience and not join some racing forum where they coordinate race times for all to play.

The more a game penalizes players for shitty driving tactics, the easier it is to get into a game that's enjoyable. You can still have both. Games that are easy to join and reasonably enjoyable. And coordinated games among those who you know are serious.

Ranger X

Lion Heart said:
Well I assume it would be cheaper to buy the premium version compared to x amount of DLC, that would be the incentive, for the person planning on buying all future DLC. Think of it like an MMO, you could pay 200 for a lifetime membership which is like 1years worth, that is definitely worth it for diehard players.

I agree with Melfice as well, along with a proper penalty system ofcourse.

I would assume the same if you consider that you would buy all the DLC anyways. In the end it will all depend on the price of that sku. If it's 10$ more I would probably take it because i'm sure there will be at least 10$ of worthy DLC down the road.

But if the sku is significantly more expensive I won't risk it because I will only buy some very specific DLC anyways.

Forsete

avaya said:
Do not want any form of shitty acrade damage in this game. At all.

The computing power is not there to pull off damage in any acceptable fashion.

I'm safe in the knowledge Kaz agrees with this and will not include damage.

As posted real time time of day progression and real time weather is all I really want in addition to better collision phsyics.

Driving model is pretty much spot on, maybe a few tweaks here and there but if you actually drove some of these cars in rela life you would realise the driving model is the best on console.

I would be happy with Burnout style damage, only it would affect the car waaay more. Isnt the damage in Burnout pretty dynamic as well?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
A version of the collision time penalty system from GT5P which actually works would be great, based on international touring car regulations. I really hope they do that instead of waste time on damage modelling which could have been used on tracks, cars, features, etc.

Come on people, when do you ever see hard enough ramming to cause dents in a live race? One small collision and they're out. They don't drive around with dents in the car. :lol

Cruzader

Banned
Forsete said:
I would be happy with Burnout style damage, only it would affect the car waaay more. Isnt the damage in Burnout pretty dynamic as well?

Yea man cuz Criterion put real cars in its game right? PD should also take out the human models from the game too right! Sounds awesome and lifelike!

Top Bottom