• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson interview with Phil Spencer

Just saw this on Major's page. Great interview that tackles some good questions. XBOX division headed in a great direction.

Danny 117

Love this guy. He came off as a car salesman last E3 to be honest, but I think most of that was down to the fact he was left to announce the price of the XBO. Tough thing to do, those reactions!

It's great that he's seemingly scrapping the TVTVTV bullshit and shifting the focus to the games!

7kXxAn2.gif

Likeness is uncanny.

If only he had to job back in 2008. Xbox would be an amazing place right now and 360 would have probably been better with exclusives at the end. Sigh.

flkraven

They should immediately greenlight a game starring Phil Spencer (or a lookalike) as the protagonist, tasked with saving the Xbox from certain death.

Mugatu

I wasn't always a fan of Phil Spencer but he seems good now and best of luck to him.

Very nice to see him and Larry at least mention things many others would have not even brought up (like price drop).

LNBL

Looks like he wants to really shine at this E3 and he wants to show the direction Xbox will go towards under him.

RoKKeR

Stealth NeoGAF reference in there about 1 minute in when talking about "forums".

Noticed that! Haha

Love how much he is pushing towards E3, it really is going to be sort of his coming out party if you will to show the way that he wants to take Xbox. Let's hope they deliver.

Majine

Banned
The E3 stage doesn't do him justice. When he gets to speak freely, he's a really smart and down to earth guy.

Mugatu

The E3 stage doesn't do him justice. When he gets to speak freely, he's a really smart and down to earth guy.

I noticed that too - he's a lot more relaxed here, he seems too stiff at E3 and other official events. I hope he's more like this in the future - the way he presented was one of the things that always put me off a bit before.

E3 stage are rarely being down-to-earth, it's about the showcase of achievements and great moments.

I noticed that too - he's a lot more relaxed here, he seems too stiff at E3 and other official events. I hope he's more like this in the future - the way he presented was one of the things that always put me off a bit before.

Extremely tight structure ( 90 minutes of non-stop content and reveals ), the forced need to ham up marketing bullshit lines ( first on Xbox, console exclusive debut, exclusive to blahblahblah ), stress/concern of on-stage demo failures, etc do that to people.

Mechazawa

I still can't believe they got this guy to head up the entire Xbox division. It makes too much sense, so Microsoft should've naturally blown it.

Hyb

Banned
Wow great vid. Larry and Phil were both honest with questions and answers. And that coming from a official Xbox video. For a moment i thought he was being interviewed by Kotaku or something.

E92 M3

I am really happy with how Microsoft have turned things around. I wish them a lot of success if they keep going in this direction. Yes, media is nice, but let that be a bonus feature not the prime. It's all about the games - have a good product with tons of good games and the people will follow. With social media these days, you need to have the community on your side.

samar11

Spencer looks like Bill Compton from the show True Blood. Bill was one of the nicest vampires in the entire show, being the most human and extremely nice and unvampire-like. As the show went on, he became very evil.

Ok i get the reference now, but comparing Spencer to Bill is an insult, an insult to Bill lol.

jelly

Makes me feel more positive about Xbox which I haven't felt for quite a long time. Tone is like original Xbox. Now just follow through. Fingers crossed at E3 for proper changes.

Feindflug

Phil said all the right things, can't wait to see what they'll show at E3.

Also happy to hear from him that last year MS made some wrong decisions. ;)

E92 M3

Phil said all the right things, can't wait to see what they'll show at E3.

Also happy to hear from him that last year MS made some wrong decisions. ;)

Yes, contrary to popular PR belief, admittance of mistake only brings more goodwill from the people. Nonetheless, many companies are still behind on that notion.

Thought he spoke well there

I think it's important to give the man time to put his take on things and not judge him overall after only a few months

I'm skeptical of MS being totally devoted to games as they once were with the original Xbox and the early years of 360 as that is when I believe Xbox was at its strongest and best. When they get it right they do it aswell as anyone in my opinion but there has been too many inconsistent strategies and when they get it wrong it really is a sight to behold.

Good luck Phil, I wish you all the best

The_Monk

Thank you for posting fellow GAFfer.

As always, I'm curious about E3 (for both Sony and Microsoft) but I would really like if they could start showing that they are serious and that they care about their upcoming markets that will be having (officially) the Xbox One, which is in September.

We are not that far from that date and I would like to see some work around the consumers, how will they communicate with them and how will they grab their attention when some of these countries (like mine, Portugal) have a very notorious Sony install base. If they want to grab some of them they need to focus more. Sure, we are not a big market like the US and it shows by only releasing the Xbox One now but gathering new consumers, is always a good thing, they should work closer to them and see how culture can impact on selecting a console for the new generation we are in. Marketing and communication are keys in here, something I love to discuss/work for.

I would love to see and even participate in this to be honest. I like a good challenge and this can be a tough one. I went to Microsoft HQ last year for a casual meeting and I left the building with an amazing recommendation letter which is something very rare for them to write to someone "just like that". I'm always humble and I work hard so I'll be checking their progress and I hope for the best in September (because what I really like are playing the games instead of console wars).

And that is something you would never hear from Don Mattrick.

In hindsight, it's easy for the 'new boss' to say that his 'old boss who is no longer part of the company' made mistakes.

As far as Spencer's roles/responsibilities in the whole XB1 story is concerned, he has nothing to do with the problems associated with Xbox, since he's only about first-party development and publishing. Content-wise, XB1 is good right now. It's just his late-360 era output that leaves much to be desired.

We'll see if Spencer admits any mistakes that stems from his leadership in the future.

Top Bottom