• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson interview with Phil Spencer

Majine

Banned
In hindsight, it's easy for the 'new boss' to say that his 'old boss who is no longer part of the company' made mistakes.

Mattrick was right in the center of the shitshow last year. Remember the "We got a system for people with no internet. The 360" quote?

I meant stuff like that.

sublimit

Banned
They have really been trying to shift their PR focus since that abysmal tv,tv,tv,sports,tv conference and tbh i think they are doing a good job so far.

I think Spencer's bigger challenge is to convince people that their "commitment to games" will continue until XB1's final years and will not stop after 3-4 years from now as it was the case with the 360.

Yaqoub

The whole admittance of their bad messaging and mistakes coming from the head is where I stand in respect for this man.

Good stuff. Bring on E3. So happy to see this.

That's awesome and yet scary that NeoGAF has a huge influence on the actual industry at large.

I think they peruse a lot of the forums looking for ideas that aren't generated internally.

However, they know that Neogaf and the like are an extremely small subset of the target audience. Thus, they must balance their decisions based on what will appeal to the hardcore fanbase but not alienate the majority of the market nor hit the required ROI.

It's why neither MS or Sony will fund a Shenmue 3. Spencer even confirmed that this week.

TRios Zen

I felt like in past E3's, MS spent too much time speaking to a non-core audience; sounds like Spencer understands this and is going to change it.

Looking forward to his time leading Xbox, starting with this E3.

geordiemp

Same phil was not in charge a couple of years ago, am sure the xbox one would be a different proposition than the one he has inhereted

Dunkers92

Really looking forward to E3 this year. Was impressed with Microsofts presentation last year (apart from the price of the One) and loving what I am hearing from Spencer. Nice to see them admit they made mistakes, much more refreshing compared to previously. They definitely have the right guy heading up Xbox. It made too much sense from the start.

It feels like the culture of Microsoft in general has changed for the better since Satya became CEO

Hyb

Banned
I'm really like the fact Major Nelson is asking questions worth watching these videos for.

Yeah i agree. Like i said in my comment. Had the feeling he was being interviewed by a gamingsite and not MS itself. Very fresh compared to all the other Xbox vids.

alienator

Being from europe where the x1 still isnt available (sept.2014) , i could not care less who they shove upfront in this freakshow. , ms is still the company that tried to violate my rights as a customer deeply, shove drm thru my throat, did so many spinning that it made my head hurt, they lied about this, they lied about that.

at this point mahatma gandhi could be their xb1 spokesperson , and i still wouldnt trust them.

monome

Then again...

ZL9hwif.gif

Did you have rape for breakfast?

TS-08

I'm really like the fact Major Nelson is asking questions worth watching these videos for.

I was surprised to see him mention some things people are asking for like a cheaper SKU. Not that Phil would have ever directly answered that, but it was still something I wouldn't expect to see acknowledged in a video produced by MS.

Bsigg12

I'm really excited for the future of Xbox. Microsoft seems to understand it now and have put the right guy in place to really drive them forward. Now we just have to wait and see how this goes.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Seems like a genuine guy, but as I had said before in another thread, actions speak louder than words. Telling people you've changed and learned from your lesson last year doesn't mean shit until you have the actions to back it up. We got like 9-10 weeks until E3. Pre-E3 and E3 are your first chances to bring that fruition. Don't fuck it up.

jelly

I was surprised to see him mention some things people are asking for like a cheaper SKU. Not that Phil would have ever directly answered that, but it was still something I wouldn't expect to see acknowledged in a video produced by MS.

Yeah, that was rather suprising but seems clear they will need to sooner rather than later so no harm off the cuff.

Ape

Banned
I don't have anything against Larry personally, I really don't. But I can't stand his face.

GoaThief

Phil came over well indeed, there is hope yet.

Looks more and more likely I'm going to jump back on the Xbox train at some point, needs a price drop and/or no Kinect, all digital is fine with me also. However, the power disparity is too much to ignore, what with the weaker being more expensive and all, now VR is in the mix too. Something has to change with the Xbox One for it to gain back some lost ground.

Seems like a genuine guy, but as I had said before in another thread, actions speak louder than words. Telling people you've changed and learned from your lesson last year doesn't mean shit until you have the actions to back it up. We got like 9-10 weeks until E3. Pre-E3 andE3are your first chances to bring that fruition. Don't fuck it up.

Since when has E3 mattered? (in the context of separating pre-E3 and E3)

Practically 99% of all the stuff that matter gets announced pre-E3, not during E3.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Another good step in the direction but anything MS lately has certain stink that only time and reality wash away for me. Until phil brings back what I love about og or 360 both big and small games but also a very friendly social environment I will keep what I have.

The fact this guy wants MS to have a good E3 is getting my attention already.

I think they peruse a lot of the forums looking for ideas that aren't generated internally.

However, they know that Neogaf and the like are an extremely small subset of the target audience. Thus, they must balance their decisions based on what will appeal to the hardcore fanbase but not alienate the majority of the market nor hit the required ROI.

It's why neither MS or Sony will fund a Shenmue 3. Spencer even confirmed that this week.

Which explains the developers shift to using games as a storytelling medium and using tropes that existed in movies. People in the mainstream will easily know what they like and don't like. It all seems very similar to the old Hollywood development business model.

While I appreciate that devs and publishers are getting inspiration from forums like NeoGaf, Id be upset if I found a dev taking my ideas, implementing them, and receiving the praise and money for said idea. Idk if I could've made a better or lesser game or even been able to develop it with my own team and retain creative control, but I'd like to be credited and compensated at the least.

As far as Shenmue 3, I doubt any publisher would recoup their investment and hit a nice ROI with that IP. Is the fanbase that big for Shenmue?

iceatcs

Good guy, but it isn't stress-free job, so good luck.
Look forward what he can provide for us and over the problem with their lack customer approval.

Yeah, that was rather suprising but seems clear they will need to sooner rather than later so no harm off the cuff.

Pretty much. Given all the bundles and price-cuts they've done lately, I highly doubt they're going to go back to $500 with no game.

But yeah. I really like what I heard, but I want to see how it actually plays out in practice.

No mention of Rallisport Challenge 2 or Phantom Dust? Lame. Guess we'll see at E3.

XboxP3 and Phil Spencer are two different entities.

The former is 'don't believe his tweets (that mention unannounced games)'. The latter is his rational minded self that speaks with clarity but properly PR-vetted, but occasionally spills his XboxP3 spaghetti out in public.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Since when has E3 mattered? (in the context of separating pre-E3 and E3)

Practically 99% of all the stuff that matter gets announced pre-E3, not during E3.

Buh!? You're joking right? You must have not seen last E3 (and really post E3 when MS shit the bed) where both Sony and MS got praised and lambasted for their decisions. This is the first E3 since both consoles have released. You can be damn sure the eyes of the world will be fixed on E3 this year and for good reason.

Dusky

This is good stuff. Positive attitude is what I like to see, keep up the good work Phil can't wait to see what they have in store for E3.

E3 is going to be great, I wonder if Phil will introduce those unannounced studios there.

mstudios85s5s.png

And, of course, I want to finally see what Lift London have been working on.

I think they have realised constructive criticism is worth listening to and the sales performances of course. I thinking hiring people who are ignorant of the consumer base is a mistake every company should take note of, Microsoft learnt the hard way.

There is nothing wrong with offering entertainment such as apps and fitness and so forth but when you can't balance that with what the main userbase is there for then what do you expect ?

I personally won't be judging him at this years E3, it's far too early.

Buh!? You're joking right? You must have not seen last E3 (and really post E3 when MS shit the bed) where both Sony and MS got praised and lambasted for their decisions. This is the first E3 since both consoles have released. You can be damn sure the eyes of the world will be fixed on E3 this year and for good reason.

Ah, you meant 'post-conference' management.

I thought you meant pre-E3 as in the usual 'Sony/MS/EA/etc pre-E3 press conference', where they held their shows to announce EVERYTHING before E3 actually opens doors the day after.

Coolade

2HhhHpc.jpg

I'll never forget last years E3. Low key feel bad for Phil Spencer. They might have invested in creating a console that was more games focused if he was running things from the start, maybe strip away the kinect and drop the price point. Let kinect for TV/Menu Navigation use be an optional purchase. Not seeing many 3rd party publishers showcase X1 footage exclusively. Can't wait to see their 90 min lineup though, they might impress this year.

It's about time Xbox division had some likeable and non-arrogant people running things and being the public face. Even Major Nelson isn't so bad when he isn't tasked with defending horrible MS policies and people like Mattrick. X360 had something really great going, hope to see them steer back towards that.

EL CUCO

The humility was refreshing.

Im curious to see how it translates into the actual consumer products.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Seems like a genuine guy, but as I had said before in another thread, actions speak louder than words. Telling people you've changed and learned from your lesson last year doesn't mean shit until you have the actions to back it up. We got like 9-10 weeks until E3. Pre-E3 and E3 are your first chances to bring that fruition. Don't fuck it up.

They actions since the initial reveal have been mostly positive. They just need to keep going in the right direction.

Top Bottom