• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson interview with Phil Spencer

I still think there is an element of slight of hand with all this. I will say however, im pretty much convinced that when a Kinectless Sku gets pushed out the door, Ill be happy to pick up an xbox one now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Phil Spencer has gotten me excited for the Xbox division for the first time in years. If he can sort out the pricing and beef up the exclusive line up, especially from first parties, I'm in. I think it'll still be a few years but it's been a while since I thought they were moving in a direction that would get me back on board.

Fox Mulder

I'm glad they're using a completely different tone than before launch. I hope they actually learned from their mistakes, but they can only shine a weaker console that wasn't designed for games first so much. Shareholders are also going to still be there crying about ditching it entirely and they can't go back to the wildly unprofitable days.

interested to see what they do with the console, I'm still on the fence because the ps4 doesn't have anything I want yet.

He needs to announce a game by doing a Hulk Hogan shirt rip, he will never match Peter Moore until he can do something that will compete with his tattoos

hgoWOtk.png

I'm glad they're using a completely different tone than before launch. I hope they actually learned from their mistakes, but they can only shine a weaker console that wasn't designed for games first so much. Shareholders are also going to still be there crying about ditching it entirely and they can't go back to the wildly unprofitable days.

interested to see what they do with the console, I'm still on the fence because the ps4 doesn't have anything I want yet.

yeah the keyword for them now is "GAMES" which is good they should keep that forever.

Wow, this guy is a very smooth talker. I really like his focus and vision for Xbox. Games first. : ) Can't wait for there E3. Maybe it will convince me to get a Xbox One, depending on the games. : ) (It'd be great if Spencer could drop the requirement of needing gold for netflix and the other stuff it restricts besides multiplayer)

With Phil Spencer heading the Xbox ship, I'm certain that Microsoft will deliver. Even though the One was supposed to be a multibox, it's great to see that he's reinforcing that games and gaming is the main priority. That wasn't as clear before.

They really haven't delivered on anything else other than hardcore games thus far:

• Where is the elusive Halo Spielberg show or any Nancy Tellem production for that matter?
  • Where's the promised HBO GO app with a new Game of Thrones season starting?
  • Where's the WWE app?
  • Where are interactive live TV events like they promised?
  • Where are the new Kinect experiences for casual or core gamers?

You have to give the Xbox One team a pretty low grade thus far on delivering anything other than just core games. The most promising thing beyond games I'd give them credit for is Xbox Fitness and TV control with voice. Everything else has been just standard issue hardcore gamer console. Not very revolutionary thus far even though the potential is obviously there.

My biggest hope for Xbox comes from Terry Myerson and the Windows division running the Xbox show now. Universal Windows apps, Cortana personal assistant, Kinect for Windows Store apps, and wearable technology are all coming from outside of the Xbox division now. If Spencer can't strike big deals outside of the games industry then hopefully Myerson, Elop, Tellem, etc. can do it.

I think there's a lot of room for someone like Phil Spencer to improve Xbox Live though. He can remove the paywall on apps, drive subscriber growth/sustainability by matching or exceeding PS+, and increase the appeal/competitive pricing of digital downloads.

Alx

Seriously, I don't understand all the "glad it's all about games now" reactions. When did it stop being about games ? That's all they've been talking about since last E3. I can't believe people are still stuck with the "TVTVTV" meme when all of it happened during less than one hour, almost one year ago. Talk about being stuck on a first impression...

They actions since the initial reveal have been mostly positive. They just need to keep going in the right direction.

You have to consider many things, first off Microsoft deserved a lot of flack launching the system. Since then they've been trying to regain confidence from gamers and I think they'd find well so far. Trouble is you have a collection of doubters and haters in the mix who are still very vocal. Will they ever turn around? Who knows but I'm just happy Sony is forcing their hand which is why real competition can be good.

Seriously, I don't understand all the "glad it's all about games now" reactions. When did it stop being about games ? That's all they've been talking about since last E3. I can't believe people are still stuck with the "TVTVTV" meme when all of it happened during less than one hour, almost one year ago. Talk about being stuck on a first impression...

well hopefully this years E3 clears that up to the point saying those subliminal jokes doesn't even make sense anymore, I think this years E3 is going to be amazing for gamers for all consoles.

I dont disagree but I think its quite hard for Major Nelson to talk to him any other way on camera, might have just been better if he had gone on his podcast. Its also difficult for Phil because its not a situation where theyre going to announce things so it was just his way of reaching a certain audience and letting people know the sorts of things he's hearing feedback about.

He was on the IGN Xbox podcast this week too where he did a telephone interview and said similar things.

I would expect something with a bit more substance when the time arises to actually announce things.

He did: https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/451833881113542657

kmax

The first impression is usually the one that sticks. Many lost confidence in Microsoft after they presented a not so focused vision which alienated many gamers. By appointing Spencer as head of the Xbox division, they're making a statement that gaming is where it's at , and by sending a strong message that reinforces that, Microsoft's scoring points with gamers, whether they're old fans or completely new to Xbox. They need that pull, and Spencer's just that.

Major Nelson

Neo Member
I've got a 32 minute audio interview with Phil that will be included in my podcast later today - in it he covers much more vs what was in this video. I'll tweet a link out when it is posted.

LastNac

I've got a 32 minute audio interview with Phil that will be included in my podcast later today - in it he covers much more vs what was in this video. I'll tweet a link out when it is posted.
Major, do you know if MS does still indeed have the rights to Crimson Skies?

Kacho

Seems like a genuine guy, but as I had said before in another thread, actions speak louder than words. Telling people you've changed and learned from your lesson last year doesn't mean shit until you have the actions to back it up. We got like 9-10 weeks until E3. Pre-E3 and E3 are your first chances to bring that fruition. Don't fuck it up.

Pretty much.

That said, he's certainly doing wonders for me as far as getting excited about the Xbox again. If he can deliver in the next few months I'll be very pleased. Right now I have faith in him.

the day I see your Display picture change to somehting related to phantom dust i'll do 50 backflips,lol.

This.
The interview is pure PR piece. The fact they mentions forums on there is a clear indicator that they saying what they believe core gamers want to hear. Spencers a cool guy and all but he still has a boss he answers too. MS wants to fix the xbox divisions image and judging by some of the almost orgamsic responses they picked the perfect guy for the job. One would have to be blind not to see that went with Spencer b/c his image is the exact opposite of Don Mattrick.
Well yeah, of course. And it's a good thing they are saying what gamers want to hear, it's about time. They needed someone who didn't come across like a slimeball, and it seems like they found the guy to do it. It's the same reason a guy like Shu is so vocal and engaged on Sony's front, as they know he's a likeable and personable guy and can help generate good will for Playstation. It's impossible to dislike him. Same thing here...It can be PR yet genuine as well, and Phil's gaming knowledge makes me think its both.

Chettlar

Banned
Which explains the developers shift to using games as a storytelling medium and using tropes that existed in movies. People in the mainstream will easily know what they like and don't like. It all seems very similar to the old Hollywood development business model.

While I appreciate that devs and publishers are getting inspiration from forums like NeoGaf, Id be upset if I found a dev taking my ideas, implementing them, and receiving the praise and money for said idea. Idk if I could've made a better or lesser game or even been able to develop it with my own team and retain creative control, but I'd like to be credited and compensated at the least.

As far as Shenmue 3, I doubt any publisher would recoup their investment and hit a nice ROI with that IP. Is the fanbase that big for Shenmue?

Then why the heck are you posting them on public forums?

If he is reading, i will post it again.........

Shenmue 3
Crackdown 3
Banjo
Perfect Dark
Kameo
Conker
Voodoo Vince 2
Blinx 3
Viva Pinata 3
Bloodwake 2
Midtown Madness 4
Project Ghotam 5
Rallisports Challenge 3
Age of Empire 4
Phantom Dust 2
Kotor 3
Crimson Skies 2
Psychonauts 2
Deathrow 2
Amped 4

Please..........

XBox winner of generation......
Let me add a few more

Jet Set Radio!
Otogi 3
Panzer Dragoon (Or Crimson Dragon) Saga
Get the Fasa guy to port Mechwarrior and Shadowrun to xbone
Announce a comeback partnership with Level 5 and bring back True Fantasy Live Online

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am glad my thread has helped Phil. Genuinely. I want all systems to be healthy this generation, and if my thread is a part of a new dialog starting between gamers and Microsoft, we will all benefit.

You know what is more important then the answers to our questions, the fact that they are back the MS/XBOX of early 360 years where it was:

COMMUNITY FIRST !
and listen to what the "core" has to say about the product that they want/have paid for.

That is for me more important then the details of the answers right now.

Top Bottom