• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: "We Are Listening!"

Brashnir

But at that time the rumors were a 3 minute connection check. They probably thought once every 24hours was good enough.

It's certainly possible. I wouldn't put it past them to think the issue was with "always online," and to reduce that in a very semantic way to the word "always," when that wasn't really the issue.

People don't want this type of thing at all - I don't think the check frequency was ever the real issue for many people.

watership

I doubt we're going to get any game changing answers from him. We're going to have to wait till E3. Microsoft have been very good at avoiding answering any real questions so far.

They have to avoid it. I bet they had a huge of "WE NEED TO STOP SHITTING THE BED WITH OUR COMMUNICATION. EVERYONE SHUT UP." So they are avoiding answering for now. Yet so has Sony. I don't remember reading that there will be No DRM and used games on the PS4. Everyone is asking those questions, cheering Sony's response that they are a gaming console, while people are demanding more answers from MS, who clearly stated "Wait for E3'.

Can you imagine how different things would be if MS kept quiet about Online checks, Kinect camera and Account ownership of games? I might be reasonable to assume that because of all the leaks about alwaysonline/usedgames they might have decided to take the shit now, rather than hide it during the reveal then dump it as a surprise at E3. That would have been a little more like they were hiding it.

Actually I think SONY can't introduce any DRM/Used game policy now. After all the shit MS got, and how they have responded to the community and said "The PS4 is a games console." to come out with those things intact would be seen as super slimy.

untitledytupg.png

No answers today.

Excellent, sounds like this might just turn in the consumers favour.

So MS PR is still scrambling round trying to find a way to spin them into something that sounds reasonable, then. If they knew their plan was acceptable, it wouldn't be taking this long. I mean "Does your system allow used games and if so, are there associated fees?" is not a difficult question to answer.

I wouldn't say so. I mean it's possible, but it's also possible they are scrambling to remove those features or at least disable them so they can claim there's no anti used DRM at launch.

I also wouldn't be so sure about deals with publishers, it seems the CEO of the one of the biggest third party publishers (Take Two) didn't even know MS were planning to do this...

Perhaps I'm just overly optimistic? I believe things might be turning around.

Lynn616

So MS PR is still scrambling round trying to find a way to spin them into something that sounds reasonable, then. If they knew their plan was acceptable, it wouldn't be taking this long. I mean "Does your system allow used games and if so, are there associated fees?" is not a difficult question to answer.

Same can be said about Sony.

Probably just as likely they're discussing plans with publishers, and they're still not finalised.

LMFAO!

Rounding up answers?

As in trying to gather some kind of tangible response from all the evasive, embiguous and outright contradictory statements M$ keeps making?

Good luck with that!

Yeah they are listening, too bad they ain't actually hearing anything.

I'm sure you believe the Sony side right? With them saying they're listening.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I tweeted Xbox support with a video I did last week, which is more or less the same points people have been making on GAF, and they claimed they would watch it.

I have my doubts

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Honestly, what can they do?

If the system does require every game to be installed on the HDD in order to do that fast switching between The Price is Right and your game; not using some kind of CD-Key authentication will lead to rampant cases of people just lending a game to someone else or buying and then returning the disc while keeping it on their HDD.

They could make it so that you must install the game, but it requires the disc to boot (like PC games did before Steam).

This is the so obvious answer.

They've said it'd be up to publishers while also saying the equivalent of "no comment". Not as bad as MS but still somewhat conflicting.
Vague and conflicting aren't the same thing. The key here is that they kept their vague stance instead of giving incomplete and/or wrong info.

MS PR on the other hand threw shit on the ceiling fan and then asked us to pretend we didn't see that.

Raist

Banned
They've said it'd be up to publishers while also saying the equivalent of "no comment". Not as bad as MS but still somewhat conflicting.

They've said:
- Used games can be played on PS4 (whether that means without any kind of restriction - even if it's just online passes - is unclear)
- the PS4 can be used completely offline
- we won't require you to activate your games online. Other publishers might, it's up to them.

Months later, when Kotaku asked again, the answer was "No change from what was said previously" which was somehow spun into "Sony declines to comment" by Kotaku.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01snxy9/ report begins around 38 minutes.

General discussion is "we don't know what is happening but it won't play your 360 games, it won't play used games unless you pay a royalty and it looks like the PlayStation will do the same thing"

Interview was a bit of a mess but it's worth noting that Radio 4 has a big readership with older people, people likely to have kids and not keep up to date on consumer electronics. As noted on Twitter: PR disaster for Microsoft.

I tweeted Xbox support with a video I did last week, which is more or less the same points people have been making on GAF, and they claimed they would watch it.

I have my doubts

The main thing I took from your video is that you don't wear your hat like a douche. Great job! That's an old school rim right there on a hat.

You see that new school kids with your fat rims not bent!!!! Break that cap in and bend that rim! That's how it's supposed to be. I hate that non bent bro'd out rim on a hat that all the youngsters wear these days. Damn whippersnappers.

Oh, and I'm here in Huntington Beach Cali, I see that douche look a lot!

Nice video hope they listen, and way to rock a ball cap the old school way!

I don't think they are listening. If the were, they wouldn't have screwed up so bad the day of the announce. They had indications this would happen after their employee leaked always on on Twitter to a huge negative reception that resulted in him getting canned.

GenericUser

I think major nelson is one of the good guys at microsoft and he has my attention when it comes to this.

Really hope microsoft understood that xbone, in its current state, is not going to be accepted by the customers, you can not even shove it down their throat and hope for the best.

Looking forward to good news on the ms drm/used games front and I sure hope for some good gaming related news during e3.

Salaadin

So if all publishers that made PS4 games have to connect to online at least once per play, that would be pretty much the same thing right?

Sort of.
XBO is getting beat up right now for two separate DRM related reasons:

-Internet required because of 24 hour checks.
-Inability to trade, share, or privately sell your games because of profile locks and full price "fees" (if we listen to what Harrison and Booty say)

The first issue is bad because not everyone has access to good or stable internet but I think the second issue is what has most people really riled up because its just a way to gouge more money out of us.

If Sony requires internet (and if we trust what they say, they already said that it wont) then thats definitely a knock against them.

Marleyman

Banned
Sony PR hasn't been running it's mouth with conflicting info.

What do you call this? Clearly conflicting information.

Yoshida - "So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ock-used-games

Yoshida - "More distressingly, when asked about online registration for used games, Yoshida said that the decision was up to individual publishers, and that Sony is "not talking about that plan" for its own first-party games."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...fied-just-yet/

Gara - "Well, first of all, we haven't stated that second-hand games... we haven’t made a statement on the second-hand games question," Gara said. "The answer to the pre-owned question isn’t clarified just yet and we’re working through that and we’ll announce our position in more detail as and when we can."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...fied-just-yet/

Sort of.
XBO is getting beat up right now for two separate DRM related reasons:

-Internet required because of 24 hour checks.
-Inability to trade, share, or privately sell your games because of profile locks and full price "fees" (if we listen to what Harrison and Booty say)

The first issue is bad because not everyone has access to good or stable internet but I think the second issue is what has most people really riled up because its just a way to gouge more money out of us.

If Sony requires internet (and if we trust what they say, they already said that it wont) then thats definitely a knock against them.

Not to damage control, but you wouldn't necessarily need a good or stable internet connection for the 24hr check in. I assume it's as simple as logging into XBL and letting it refresh the licences and then you're free to go back into offline mode. something like that wouldn't, or more accurately, shouldn't take more than a minute.

That's just an assumption though.

bill1148

Banned
"Rounding up answers" made me think of this Mark Twain quote: "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

atomsk

Party Pooper
Also, you didn't buy the N-GAGE? You monster.

I would have been Sidetalkin' had it gotten cheap enough, but being a cell phone prevented that from happening. In Box QD's still go for 100+ on ebay. No thanks.

I do have a copy of Super Monkey Ball N-Gage I got for 5 bucks right after the system tanked. The console just never got cheap enough

E3 is the deadline for me. If I don't have straight answers by the time E3 is over, whether from their conference, media interviews, official statements from Major Nelson, whatever, I'm done.

"Rounding up answers" made me think of this Mark Twain quote: "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

Yeah. That was the general thought that kept going through my mind last week as Microsoft fumbled over it's answers time and time again.

I would have been Sidetalkin' had it gotten cheap enough, but being a cell phone prevented that from happening. In Box QD's still go for 100+ on ebay. No thanks.

I do have a copy of Super Monkey Ball N-Gage I got for 5 bucks right after the system tanked. The console just never got cheap enough

Yeah, this was pretty annoying. It all but tanked as soon as it was released and yet it still managed to keep its ludicrous price.

bah.

Kimawolf

Don't believe either Sony or MS until you have verified reports. All this spin and "we're listening" crap is just that, crap. They will implement these features, as others have said they just need to find a good way to make it NOT sound like DRM. We're talking about a company in Sony who used to say the PS2 was powering some countries nuclear weapons, and in MS who says the "cloud" will make their system go from 10 to 40 times as powerful as the 360.

Get real.

Top Bottom