• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Xbox One and 360 Were The Top Selling Consoles In December...in USA

Clockwork

PS4 is supply constrained. January should be interesting where both should be able to meet demand.

That's the thing. If you release the "Most Awesome Thing" and everyone wants one but you only produced 500k, you are going to sell out but you're still only going to sell 500k.

If you release the "Next Best Thing" and you produced 1 million it might very well sell more then the "Most Awesome Thing" but that's because it was there and available to buy. You could meet demand and still have some sitting on shelves.

Beyond that it means nothing.

In this case we know the demand for Xbox One was 908k. For PS4 demand could have been higher or it could have been lower. We don't know because they did not have units to sell.

I am just glad that the next gen is off to a really strong start regardless of platform.

Eoin

We have quite a lot of numbers/estimates actually.

US Nov (NPD)
US Dec (NPD)
UK
Spain
Germany
France

Extrapolations can be made for the rest of Europe. Keeping in mind that the dec NPD reports numbers until the 4th of January, the likelyhood that they sold over 3M through even before the end of December is rather low.

I know that. See above.

What was the France and spain total?

TyrantII

PS4 still has the lead in the US.
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb
Microsoft said the 360 beat the PS3, not the PS4.

“According to the latest NPD report, PlayStation 4 remains the cumulative leader for next-gen console sales in the U.S. since its launch on November 15,” Sony spokesperson Dan Race said in a statement provided to GamesBeat. “We sold every PS4 available at retail in the U.S. and were out of stock in December due to overwhelming consumer demand.”

Damn. Sony either did a lot better at launch and second shipment, or the past few have been larger than they seemed...

Staying ahead with zero on shelves is crazy. Especially when you can walk in and buy the XB1.

Amir0x

Banned
This goes both ways.

Senjutsu is always going to be Senjutsu. Just sit back and enjoy the show dragonbane. Things about to get tough for our fair Senjutsu in the new year.

Vyrance said:
I believe someone said between 680k and 908k

Thank you. Sony was reported to have diverted stock just to hit whatever number they did, and as we can see, demand is still not met. If they sold say 700k or 800k, and demand is not met, one has to assume that the demand for PS4 is still in excess of their competitor.

kinggroin

Banned
Exactly. So why are you running around excited and happy like MS won already?

Excited they won? The fuck I care, I'm going to own the PS4 next month.

And besides, I was more just getting friendly jabs since I got reemed for calling December numbers to be what they are.

Don't let it get to you.

Occam

How strange, I just made a post and it's gone...

OK, here we go again. The numbers for December alone aren't really all that meaningful. The real question is, which console sold how much since launch?

vpance

Yeah, benny_a clarified. So given what we know, for Sony to have still beat Microsoft's total in North America, what is the range they should have sold in during December? Do any mathematicians have an answer?

Xbone
Nov ~700k in US?
Dec 908k
1600k in 2013

PS4
Nov ~900k in US?
Dec 700k to < 908k

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I thought PS4 would have sold more?
wrong.gif

It's not a production issue per se. Sony is in over 40 markets now with the PS4. XBone is in..17 iirc. So overall PS4 is easily ahead of the XBone WW. It's just a different approach to take than focusing on fewer countries
Portugal is the country that tips the scale in favor of the PS4.

B.O.O.M

That's the thing. If you release the "Most Awesome Thing" and everyone wants one but you only produced 500k, you are going to sell out but you're still only going to sell 500k.

If you release the "Next Best Thing" and you produced 1 million it might very well sell more then the "Most Awesome Thing" but that's because it was there and available to buy. You could meet demand and still have some sitting on shelves. Beyond that it means nothing.

It's not a production issue per se. Sony is in over 40 markets now with the PS4. XBone is in..17 iirc. So overall PS4 is easily ahead of the XBone WW. It's just a different approach to take than focusing on fewer countries

The salt and spin in this thread is amazing. Can't we all just concede that Microsoft had an amazing month, particularly impressive in the face of the price and 720pgate.

Clockwork

The same philosophy of availability not meeting demand still applies.

saw this earlier

According to the latest NPD report, PlayStation 4 remains the cumulative leader for next gen console sales in the US since the launch on November 15," said Sony's senior director of corporate communications, Dan Race."

Thanks. Found the source.

Well, that settles it . Xbox has lost its status as market leader in the US and UK and PS4 is now the current gen market leader in every territory in the world.

Amir0x

Banned
The salt and spin in this thread is amazing. Can't we all just concede that Microsoft had an amazing month, particularly impressive in the face of the price and 720pgate.

It is impressive. But what is behind the numbers is the interesting discussion. Just saying "awesome" does not an interesting discussion make, no? So what may seem to you as 'spin' is an attempt to see exactly how they are doing versus their competitors, and how sustainable it is. This is very important for determining where things will end up in this country.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I just realized the fact that the XB1 sold roughly the same in Dec. as it did in Nov, despite all reports and anecdotes suggesting there was ample stock, might be a little troubling.

Regardless, I cannot wait for January NPD now...

koutoru

To be honest, it doesn't look like the supply issue for PS4 will get much better this month either.

Expect much of the same report for January sales.

Alebrije

I just realized the fact that the XB1 sold roughly the same in Dec. as it did in Nov, despite all reports and anecdotes suggesting there was ample stock, might be a little troubling.

Regardless, I cannot wait for January NPD now...

Yep , January and February will show us a better trend , just wonder how the WiiU wil behave from now on....

B.O.O.M

The same philosophy of availability not meeting demand still applies.

Not really. Doesn't matter how amazing a product you have you are still bound by reality and the constraints of production. Sony sold over 1 million more than their competition last year. They just chose to do so across more countries than fewer. Within time and production constraints they did fantastic. I doubt any company would look at demand outstripping supply like in this situation and take that as a negative.

Raist

Banned
What was the France and spain total?

Between 50k and 90k sold in France (up to 15th of december).

The rest of for the whole of 2013:
30k in Spain.
100k in Germany.
360k in the UK.

Missing EU markets in which the XB1 has launched are smaller than Spain.

Phades

For some reason I keep reading the OT and thinking combined were the top sales leaders (IE B+C > A+D). It sounds like the 360 did damn well in December. The saturation of the Xbox1 just makes this a bit confusing comparitavely.

Senjutsu is always going to be Senjutsu. Just sit back and enjoy the show dragonbane. Things about to get tough for our fair Senjutsu in the new year.
I just want to protect him, show him the right path you know. It doesn't have to be this way :(

MS had a very impressive month. But if someone claims that MS already won the US market you should expect some serious resistance.

Mrbob

I love these one word replies. At least give a reason why you think differently.

They are good numbers for Microsoft even if they had more stock and Sony didn't. No need to get salty people, videogames are thriving.

Didn't realize it needed a big reply, sorry! PS4 is still very tough to find. XB1 is easily available everywhere.

It is impressive. But what is behind the numbers is the interesting discussion. Just saying "awesome" does not an interesting discussion make, no? So what may seem to you as 'spin' is an attempt to see exactly how they are doing versus their competitors, and how sustainable it is. This is very important for determining where things will end up in this country.

If you want to look at it comparatively, that's one thing. But on the first page:

Xbox one couldn't break 1 million even with all of that stock?

Isn't 900k low for a December with plenty of stock around? What were other consoles first December NPDs like?

Xbone numbers seem low to me.

With the plentiful stock it should have been better than simply steady with November.

Not saying it's the whole thread, c'mon!

I, for one, am glad to see the new consoles flying off the shelves. Millions of happy little gamers out there. :)

Dragon

Banned
Damn, Xbox One off to an incredible start for a $500 system.

Oh, and nice spinning to the guys attempting to find ways to somehow find a negative in this.

Do you not see the obvious contradiction in your two sentence post? Jesus dude.

Not saying it's the whole thread, c'mon!

I, for one, am glad to see the new consoles flying off the shelves. Millions of happy little gamers out there. :)

Millions? There's less than two million in the US...

Between 50k and 90k sold in France (up to 15th of december).

The rest of for the whole of 2013:
30k in Spain.
100k in Germany.
360k in the UK.

Missing EU markets in which the XB1 has launched are smaller than Spain.
3 million looks pretty unlikely with these numbers. There is a mistake somewhere...

MS had a very impressive month. But if someone claims that MS already won the US market you should expect some serious resistance.

Fair enough, but you cannot deny the salt in this thread. Some people are getting really defensive over sales numbers. If they have their console of their choice and are having fun with it, sales of their preferred console shouldn't matter.

So wait, even with a heavily supply constrained PS4 and abundant X1s in every shelve, they're still behind overall in the US? That doesn't sound very good for MS.

Where is the 3 million number coming from? it just doesn't add up.

Top Bottom