• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major VIdeogame Voice Actors Union Considers Strike With #PreformanceMatters Campaign

Those are great requests, they deserve them all. It's amazing what the industry has been able to get away with in regards to actors purely. The industry's growth has far outpaced its treatment of talent.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Shitty voice acting in AAA blockbuster = huge bonus
Great voice acting in B tier game = no bonus

Makes no sense
Yeah that's a good point. It'd encourage VAs to seek out likely-to-be-popular AAA games, instead of encouraging them to do give a strong performance. Still, I do sympathize with their plight and there isn't any simple solution, so who am I to say what they should or shouldn't ask for...

Nachos

Correction: SAG-AFTRA isn't a division of the Screen Actors Guild – it IS the Screen Actors Guild, following its merger with AFTRA (American Federation of Television and Radio Artists).

I'm all for regulations. Less so for residuals, since it seems there are bigger fish to fry outside of VO, and the voice actors likely to work in a blockbuster are also more likely to land consistent work.

Only 2/3 of them are unionized.
Technically all three are. It's just that North is a definite full union member, Bailey is definitely ficore, and Baker is at least ficore.

Stunt pay?! Haha. For vocal stress? That seems weird. I'm pretty sure Al Pacino doesn't get stunt pay when he yells on screen. Could be wrong tho.
You've no idea of how much irreversible damage the vocal chords can sustain if they're forced to yell in quick succession. Permanent voice loss is a very real possibility, and with it, the VO's livelihood. The vocal chords are very fragile in general – even just clearing your throat can put wear and tear on them, at least in the form of micro calluses and polyps.

Shitty voice acting in AAA blockbuster = huge bonus
Great voice acting in B tier game = no bonus

Makes no sense

It would be the same thing if the other professions got bonuses, too. Those who worked on a shitty game that sold at least 2 mil would get bonuses, but a great game selling poorly would not. Because it's all about the money.

If we pay them more will they suddenly do a better job? I doubt it.

However if this encourage more actors to enter the industry then it'd be good in the long run.

Most shitty performances are due to bad writing, bad voice directing, or in many cases both. A good example is Dinklage, a very capable actor, putting in a bad performance for Destiny. He couldn't do anything with writing and directing that badly.

Vocal stress is very real. Fun fact: Sean Schemmel and few other VA's who worked on the original dub for DBZ have actually blacked out from having to scream for so long.

Just so you are aware this is a rumor that Schemmel himself clarified, he only passed out because he miscalculated the amount of air he needed to do the SS4 transformation yell in GT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk2Ici4gG1Q (video quality does leave something to be desired)

On Topic: I'm honestly curious how much they are paid for their work, never actually looked too much into it.

Just so you are aware this is a rumor that Schemmel himself clarified, he only passed out because he miscalculated the amount of air he needed to do the SS4 transformation yell in GT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk2Ici4gG1Q (video quality does leave something to be desired)

On Topic: I'm honestly curious how much they are paid for their work, never actually looked too much into it.

The Polygon article on voice actors went into it a bit.

The best voice talents in the industry are lucky if they can negotiate an hourly fee that's twice the minimum wage guaranteed by their unions. (Voice actors are essentially paid $200 an hour to do up to three video game voices, while a TV commercial voice-acting gig would pay the same actor a minimum of $300 an hour, a bonus of $1,000 or more if the ad airs nationally and online, and offer them additional payments called residuals if the ad keeps running for a long time.)

Aske

All entirely reasonable requests. I hope the publishers acquiesce. The known quality of a game's VA is a major contributing factor if I'm on the fence about a purchase.

They should be happy with having a job and being part of this unique art form. If they want to be greedy, the door is right next to them. They can take that so-called "talent" somewhere else. I play games to PLAY--not to listen to some B-tier wanna be who couldn't make it in Hollywood.

"[Video] games are more like cars or books or comics. The creators aren't the focus. The creation is." --Danny O'Dwyer

daegan

I'm 100% in favor of everything for them except for sales-based bonuses. So few developers get royalties based on sales that it just doesn't feel realistic yet, but maybe someday.

SAG is an interesting wrinkle for studios because it really puts pressure on VO scheduling/budgets. There's no out to do a few dev voices to fill the gaps, save time, or whatever. You go all union, all the way.

The companies also proposed they be allowed to hire their own employees to play characters in video games without having to join the union.

Does this mean any mocap? Big studios will fight to the bloody end against that. I guess it depends where they draw the line between animation mocap and voice performance work mocap.

We structured our proposal to trigger at 2 million units, the point we would regard a game as a blockbuster.

er...huh?

No. You will not be able to work under the interactive contract while the strike is in effect.

So again I'm not aware of what happens in a SAG strike but does that immediately kill existing contracts? Joe can't come to work so joe's contract is dead and Company X can use scabs or internal actors instead?

myca77

The regulations on stress and so on are good. Residuals, lol no

Residuals could work well if it was in a similar way to some indie movies.

For example the actor gets paid full scale (or double scale) and gives away any rights of residuals, or the actor works half scale and will receive residuals if the game does well. But that would only probably work for smaller games, AAA titles not so much.

sensui-tomo

I wonder how gaf VA Feep feels about this strike. Then again, I'm not sure if Feep is union or not. IIRC the union was a reason why almost every cast member of MGS had to use a fake name.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They should have the same rights and compensation as television and film voice actors, regular actors not so much. I highly doubt people would buy a game or movie due to a certain voice actor appearing in it.

FyreWulff

Residuals could work well if it was in a similar way to some indie movies.

For example the actor gets paid full scale (or double scale) and gives away any rights of residuals, or the actor works half scale and will receive residuals if the game does well. But that would only probably work for smaller games, AAA titles not so much.

I'll say for a moment here - as a developer, I actually do make residuals/royalties off a couple of games I worked on. They're so fucking tiny though that they don't factor into my living and it just about costs me as much money to promote those games than I make back. A game I worked on recently made it to Steam. I will earn less than 3 digits off my residuals for it.

However, residuals for anything in the industry are just about unheard of, and are usually used to get someone for cheap now and pay them more later. It doesn't always work out. In fact, in many cases, it DOESN'T work out, and the studio goes under and you're up shit creek. Many actors pay more in dues than they get back from residuals. What residuals mostly provide jobs for is the accountants at the studios and the union.

Which is why I'm all for setting some good ground rules on labor time, stress, etc, but am parting out residuals. They're not all they're cracked up to be.

Also, using a variant of BlackLivesMatter is indefensible.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
On another forum I've frequented for far longer than GAF, people are just laughing at the VAs.

..I... think I've found my new e-home here.

So the residuals would be for all SAG members who worked on the project? Not just bigger, more known, actors? It's going to take quite the strike to bring that dream about - everything I've ever read/heard about publishers and the mere mention of royalties doesn't paint a good picture for SAG's changes.

I'm sure publishers would be more than willing to take non-union actors to make sure no one watching from the development side gets any ideas from a successful strike. I sure it's a similar situation where there is more development talent than open positions but if it could work for one group in a similar situation you never know...

That payment figure isn't accurate lol.

Not at all.....

Trying so hard not to make a polygon pie chart related joke.

You've got me curious now. Is there a better figure out there?

PsychBat!

Banned
They should be happy with having a job and being part of this unique art form. If they want to be greedy, the door is right next to them. They can take that so-called "talent" somewhere else. I play games to PLAY--not to listen to some B-tier wanna be who couldn't make it in Hollywood.

"[Video] games are more like cars or books or comics. The creators aren't the focus. The creation is." --Danny O'Dwyer

What

Pachinko

Last time there was a problem getting voice over work wishing SAG , every videogame just went to Canada for dubbing. This resulted in games like maverick Hunter X on psp as well as megaman powered up receiving a slightly more amateurish performance but I feel that SAGs demands will only lead to something similar in the future. I wish them the best of luck though , if the voice over work in a game is pretty bad I think it can lead to lower sales , atleast give VO people a deal comparable to radio work.

myca77

You've got me curious now. Is there a better figure out there?

I've no idea if it's common knowledge, so with NDAs and all that I probably can't say :(

But as I've stated earlier, voice actors who get a lot of work can do well for themselves, but not on the same planet as big time TV or film actors.

Probably the same. There's no reason for North to vote for this other than to support his peers. Because he's eating, as they say. He's constantly cast in stuff, (which is the element at play here that seems to be going unmentioned), so money is probably not a huge concern. It's a "don't rock the boat" situation. Him, Beker, Bailey; I wouldn't be surprised if game actors on that level didn't say a word about this.

Even the examples in the OP are voices you hear in comparatively less games, though that's not to make a statement of their talent.

I'm for it, though. People should stand up for what they're worth. It's not actors faults that developers are in a poor state as far as their own pay goes. It's a shame, but you also have to keep on keeping on.

North and the other actors who consistently get cast in major AAA titles stand to really benefit though. Troy Baker would be looking at near the max bonus for TLOU, Bioshock, MGSV, Arkham Knight, and COD AW.

myca77

Last time there was a problem getting voice over work wishing SAG , every videogame just went to Canada for dubbing. This resulted in games like maverick Hunter X on psp as well as megaman powered up receiving a slightly more amateurish performance but I feel that SAGs demands will only lead to something similar in the future. I wish them the best of luck though , if the voice over work in a game is pretty bad I think it can lead to lower sales , atleast give VO people a deal comparable to radio work.

IIRC the last time they tried this it was shot down, partly due to the way games sales are pretty much a big secret. Television has ratings which are common knowledge, films have box office receipts which are again common knowledge, whereas sales of games are hidden until PR needs a good headline.

Feep

Banned
I wonder how gaf VA Feep feels about this strike. Then again, I'm not sure if Feep is union or not. IIRC the union was a reason why almost every cast member of MGS had to use a fake name.
I'm in an interesting position, and I don't want to say too much here because I have friends on both sides of this argument. (I'm a game developer whose last project was a SAG-AFTRA production, featuring Wil Wheaton, Laura Bailey, and Yuri Lowenthal, as well a non-union voice actor who has worked in numerous video games myself.)

Vocal stress can be significant, and I fully support additional restrictions on hours with regard to battle reax and any shouted lines. Stunt coordinators...well, it's hard to draw the line. It seems ridiculous to hire one for performance capture for dialogue, for instance, or just walking around. How about a jog, or a run? But if the actor is doing anything that could be remotely considered a "stunt", yeah, there should be someone there.

Residuals are a tricky subject. Everyone says "actors should benefit if their project succeeds!" but no one says they should suffer if the project fails. In the end, residuals are just *more money*, but automatically entered into a riskier bet by the producers involved. Do I support higher pay for SAG AFTRA actors? A slight increase would sit okay with me, though there are currently no "tiers" for productions like there are for movies...there are "low budget" and "ultra low budget" options for films and television, and no such options currently exist for indies. Even though the actors are taking home a day rate of $800 for four hours, I would shell out around $1350 for four hours due to the union and agent's fee. Increasing that much higher right now is rough.

The union is fighting for its actors, true. And who could blame them? But animators almost never get residuals. Neither do 3-D modelers, or programmers, or people who, even in my opinion as a voice actor, matter far more to the final product.

ALL that said, the bonuses are low, and almost exclusively triggered by AAA titles. I generally support the Union's demands, here, even though I'm not personally a member (I'm eligible to join, but most of my current work is non-union). I'd like to see them introduce tiers to support lower budget productions, get rid of ficore entirely, and offer more flexible arrangements for performance capture and foley work. But whatever.

hie

VO actors can be paid quite well. Some even charge triple scale if they are in demand enough. I know Jen "Cortana" Taylor used to charge that awhile ago.

Everyone else in game development deserves a union before any voice actor. That's just my opinion.

Feep

Banned
VO actors can be paid quite well. Some even charge triple scale if they are in demand enough. I know Jen "Cortana" Taylor used to charge that awhile ago.

Everyone else in game development deserves a union before any voice actor. That's just my opinion.
I agree that other areas also need unions. I will point out that only the highest tier voice actors can ever charge 2x-4x scale, though, and even then, they'll still work for 1x a fair share of the time. A tons of projects pay less, as non-union.

Most VA's I know aren't really living it up.

I'm not saying I'm for or against the strike, but I really dislike the fact that if a game has 1 sag member as a voice in it then the rest of the voice actors must be sag members...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

The fuck is this?

Kinyou

I'm all for the actors getting paid, especially since through the rise of 'cinematic' games their performances have become more and more crucial.

Are they intentionally piggybacking on the blacklivesmatter slogan though? That would be kind of inappropiate

myca77

Of course they are, a couple of hours in a booth and a nice fat pay check for millions.

Oh wait, that would be Hollywood A-listers.

You are of course right, most VA's are jobbing actors going from one role or audition to the next whilst trying to land that big juicy role that pays really well.

hie

I agree that other areas also need unions. I will point out that only the highest tier voice actors can ever charge 2x-4x scale, though, and even then, they'll still work for 1x a fair share of the time. A tons of projects pay less, as non-union.

All true, but that's just because the gigs are not full time. Like most contract work, you have to hustle for jobs when your contract runs out. Most contractors of other disciplines do not have agents though like many VO actors do.

Nanashrew

Banned

Didn't know this. Still sounds like trouble though. Reading lines, passing out or even losing your voice from all the vocal work back to back.

Kiefer Sutherland was a mistake tbh.

She is pretty high profile. She went from voicing Peach, Toad and Birdo for Nintendo from 1999 to 2007 then straight into voicing Cortana.

anaron

Most shitty performances are due to bad writing, bad voice directing, or in many cases both. A good example is Dinklage, a very capable actor, putting in a bad performance for Destiny. He couldn't do anything with writing and directing that badly.
well that and the fact that a lot of actors just suck at voice acting. The same applies to theatre.

Fuck *insert most music artists here* they barely write their own songs or make their own music. Most of the songs are made and created by producers. So the people singing want money, they barely did any work. They want money while the producer gets the same shitty salary?

True and the producers/writers should get a cut, which is why Swifts recent strike against Apple was good for the industry...all be it focused more on the singers.

The difference with gaming though, is people aren't buying games for these voice actors...they are buying them for the gameplay experience the underpaid developer is creating.
Troy Baker is a man in demand, but it's not because he's Tom Cruise or George Clooney, he's not carrying those games. He's hired because he's multi talented (can also do mocap)and cheap. You remove the cheap factor from the equation and there's plenty of other people a studio can get in.

anaron

lmao

the fuck

myca77

All true, but that's just because the gigs are not full time. Like most contract work, you have to hustle for jobs when your contract runs out. Most contractors of other disciplines do not have agents though like many VO actors do though.

Most Voice actors won't have dedicated agents though, they will be on the books of one or more agencies that try to get them work. Like a contractor may join a recruitment agency to get work.

Zaventem

All this talk about other people in the industry when this topic is about voice actors. You know it's ok for people in their field to worry about what they do right? This all"x"matters bullshit is shitting up this thread. If you care so much make a thread for programmers.

Armadilo

Banned
Good if they deserve more money but I want variety in voice acting for video games not just the same two dudes who take turns with a glass of water.

First off, go fuck yourself. Secondly, the reason voice talent in games is inconsistent (although it gets better every year, with more and more stellar standouts) is because it's hard to attract better actors (or a larger variety of good actors) when you pay so little and treat them so poorly. Like it or not, there are so so so many people trying to act and only a small percentage of them are any good. If you want good actors to choose your project over the thousands of others out there you have to be willing to pay.

hie

Most Voice actors won't have dedicated agents though, they will be on the books of one or more agencies that try to get them work. Like a contractor may join a recruitment agency to get work.

I'm not aware of any agencies for any other discipline in game development though. Except perhaps QA.

Top Bottom