• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora is Nintendo's greatest villain

Having played Majora's Mask for the first time only after having beaten Twilight Princess, I saw a bunch of similarities between the "Dark Interlopers" and the "Dark Tribe". Especially in that one cutscene (you know the one I mean) and in the parallels between the designs of the Fused Shadow and Majora's Mask.

It kind of makes me want Skyward Sword to share Majora as a villain so it can be as f*cked up as Majora's Mask was.

Teknoman

I like the idea behind majora and how crazy he was. His final/true form was pretty cool...but he faught like a total doofus. Seriously, a giant evil deity prancing around like a giant kid? Unless that was the point...that he was still a child.

Also it had the false Link:

bfowg6.png

Now that I think about it, the majority of the character designs from Oot and MM were really creepy.

I...I guess I would have to agree. I can't really combat it with much other than my opinion, but factually, it may be exactly right. He isn't better than Luca Blight or anything, but still...

As far as Nintendo goes, I just might have to agree.

I think Mama's argument in the OP pretty much destroys any arguments I've seen for villains, including FF6's Kefka.

Also, Majora's Mask has a much better representation of Link as a hero than OoT does, and you really feel like Link is a true hero in Majora's Mask largely because of how messed up Termina is. The combination of great hero and excellent villain make Majora's Mask truly epic to me.

Anth0ny

Agreed. Just another reason why Majora's Mask is the greatest game of all time. Majora is one creepy mother fucker.

But...

2MYXQ.png

Gary Oak is a close second.

MisterHero

GhaleonQ said:
Fire Emblem's 3rd party?
He's asking if they're only considering EAD games which is wrong because HAL and Intelligent Systems are Nintendo.

Also LOLOLOLOLOLOL @ Gary comic

EmCeeGramr said:
Porky is a spoiled, pathetic, and thoroughly human brat who senselessly destroys the lives of other people without even thinking about it.

I'm glad someone else really likes Porky. This is kind of a weird thing to say, but I think Porky is a really great and well-developed villain. It's not often you see such an interesting villain in a game. You could even go so far as to say that he was fairly deep, although that might be overthinking it.

I only read some of it, but I have a feeling that this OP may spoil things a bit for me(haven't played Majora's mask). It sounds so promising that I'll just bookmark this thread so that I can be amazed at it's brilliance after I beat the game. It's the only way to enjoy the OP and the game at their best.
Anth0ny said:
Agreed. Just another reason why Majora's Mask is the greatest game of all time. Majora is one creepy mother fucker.

But...

Gary Oak is a close second.
I fucking love Pokemon!

wwm0nkey

Here is why Gary Oak is the good guy
In the original Pokémon Red/Blue, when you encounter your rival in Lavender Town he asks whether or not you know what it’s like to have one of your Pokémon die. At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate that he used in previous battles. Your rival battle before this took place aboard the S.S. Anne. Your rival’s Raticate sustained serious injuries from the battle… but, because crowding and confusion on the luxury liner, he was unable to make it to a Pokémon Center in time and the Raticate passed away. The real reason your rival is in Lavender Town to begin with is to lay his deceased friend to rest. Despite all of this, your rival never outwardly tells you that you’re responsible for the death of his Pokémon. He hides his grief and instead channels that energy into the motivation he needed to continue his quest to become Indigo League Champion. The death of his Raticate effectively destroys your rival’s impish, childhood innocence. Although he tells himself that he doesn’t hold you responsible, he subconsciously holds a great deal of resentment towards you which further fuels his ambitions. Tearfully swearing upon his Raticate’s grave to not fail in what he set out to do, he trains hard in hopes of becoming better than you… defeating you… and to eventually make it to the Pokémon League. Mere moments after he became Indigo League champion, he was defeated… by you. Although he fulfilled his promise to his fallen Pokémon, it was only for a painfully brief instant. In the end, your rival is scolded by his grandfather while you receive the professor’s praise. During the course of the game, you steal your rival’s innocence, crush his dreams, and ultimately snatch away the love of his own grandfather. Oh, and by the way, your rival doesn’t have any parents. He’s an orphan.

Teknoman

That comic was awesome and 100% true.

By the way...what was so great about Luca Blight? Granted I havent played Suikoden II ( or any for that matter, but I via PSN and III are in my backlog) but looking at a video someone linked awhile back...he didnt seem that evil.

Luigi87

DrForester said:

Well, I think that ended the thread...

As for the actual topic at hand, I never really thought of Majora like that, but when you list everything like that... damn.

... If only Majora's Incarnation wasn't so... weird.

Forkball

Majora is basically just a destruction loving trickster. He's pretty original for a villain, but I don't think he is as deep or interesting as the OP says. He's basically just a demon that was worshiped in ancient times, got owned, and then sought revenge. He does some pretty effed up things though, I don't think he's a bad villain at all.

Gary Oak is a good one, although I wouldn't call him a villain. He is more like an anti-hero. He does fight Team Rocket or it is at least mentioned that he does. His goal isn't malevolent and is in fact the exact same as the hero's. But he is always one step ahead of the player and accomplishes the player's goal first and gloats about it. Yeah, you eventually beat him, but he did it first. In the sequel, he shows up as a gym leader. Is he humbled by his experience? No, he is still a douchebag with an annoying gym gimmick.

I'd have to give it to Ganondorf. He has many iterations, but they're all pretty interesting and in almost every game he appears in, he actually does manage to conquer Hyrule in some way. I can't think of another villain who is more successful unless you count Bowser kidnapping Peach as successes.

kai3345

Banned
Fuck. This combined with the Lone Tree screen from the "Unexpected moments of serenity in games" thread really makes me want to play Majora's Mask.

WHY OH WHY DID I SELL THE ZELDA DISK THAT CAME WITH MY GAMECUBE :(

Teknoman

Forkball said:
Majora is basically just a destruction loving trickster. He's pretty original for a villain, but I don't think he is as deep or interesting as the OP says. He's basically just a demon that was worshiped in ancient times, got owned, and then sought revenge. He does some pretty effed up things though, I don't think he's a bad villain at all.

Gary Oak is a good one, although I wouldn't call him a villain. He is more like an anti-hero. He does fight Team Rocket or it is at least mentioned that he does. His goal isn't malevolent and is in fact the exact same as the hero's. But he is always one step ahead of the player and accomplishes the player's goal first and gloats about it. Yeah, you eventually beat him, but he did it first. In the sequel, he shows up as a gym leader. Is he humbled by his experience? No, he is still a douchebag with an annoying gym gimmick.

I'd have to give it to Ganondorf. He has many iterations, but they're all pretty interesting and in almost every game he appears in, he actually does manage to conquer Hyrule in some way. I can't think of another villain who is more successful unless you count Bowser kidnapping Peach as successes.

Isnt that Ganon the same guy in everyone Zelda? He really is the most successful villain in gaming aside from Kefka and Exdeath. Bowser kinda gets props for destroying the universe though.

I'd say Link is pretty evil, entering caves and killing Moblin and Bokoblin families for an empty bottle, Wiping out an entire species of Skulltula for a big bag of money, invading properties and breaking valuables, abusing chickens, killing nesting Kargaroc, stealing his grandmothers life savings, shoplifting and changing the seasons and the coarse of time for mere amusement. Dude has no moral standpoint.

sillik

Banned
Between this thread, and the "most creepy gaming moment" one it feels that certain fans of a certain company are blissfully ignorant/terribly shortsided when it comes to gaming experiences.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I remember seeing the first screenshots from somewhere on AOL and thinking how weird it looked, especially after OOT.

This thread is making me want to play it again :3

apana

sillik said:
Between this thread, and the "most creepy gaming moment" one it feels that certain fans of a certain company are blissfully ignorant/terribly shortsided when it comes to gaming experiences.

I don't really see what you mean. This is a thread about Nintendo's greatest villain, not neccesarily the greatest villain in general.

markot

Banned
I never finished MM >_<....

And I really cant stand the old graphics/fps to play it. I would looooooooove a remake of it in the OOT vein.

MM had such awesome characters, such an interesting story and set up.... and no game depressed me more then the final hours before the moon hit the world. It was all done so well.

.... well, maybe not the save system.

sillik said:
So Nintendo's greatest villain isn't from a Nintendo game?

Ezalc

Quick question since my memory is failing me, does Majora or Ganon ever actually manage to kill link?

EmCeeGramr said:
So Nintendo's greatest villain isn't from a Nintendo game?
Evidently, Nintendo's greatest villain is Valmar... or Big Boss. I can't decide LOL

Ezalc said:
Quick question since my memory is failing me, does Majora or Ganon ever actually manage to kill link?
In-game? Heaps of times. Canonically? Never.

Ezalc

EmCeeGramr said:

And this is why they will never compare to Manfroy. He manages to kill the game's hero, Sigurd, which is just the tip of the iceberg of fucked up shit he does. Sigurd's son had to come in almost two decades later to finish the motherfucker off.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Having played Majora's Mask for the first time only after having beaten Twilight Princess, I saw a bunch of similarities between the "Dark Interlopers" and the "Dark Tribe". Especially in that one cutscene (you know the one I mean) and in the parallels between the designs of the Fused Shadow and Majora's Mask.

It kind of makes me want Skyward Sword to share Majora as a villain so it can be as f*cked up as Majora's Mask was.
Could be, its supposed to be before OoT and tell the tale of the Master sword I think.

Could be the "what happened to Majora that turned him into a mask" story. I would prefer they explain certain villains over just making new ones.

demolitio

I never got to finish Majora's Mask so I'm a little sad I missed out on the story. I ended up beating the water temple and then my save got corrupted and made me start the game over but I never felt the urge to replay through the beginning again.

I wish I could find a save that was right after that water temple so I can finally beat it once and for all. I bought it on Wii VC and still couldn't take replaying it all since I just want to beat it first.

Anyone know where I could find a save like that by any chance?

Neiteio

Can't believe the OP praised the villain of my all-time favorite game but forgot to post what he looked like before he was reduced to a mere mask:

Majora_(Manga).gif

Majora_manga.jpg

Majora's beast form, from the manga. As the legend goes, he ate every warrior who ventured into his realm to challenge him, until one warrior brought a pair of bongos (if I recall correctly) and played a beat that caused Majora to dance... and dance... and dance, until after 72 hours he collapsed of weariness and the warrior (the Fierce Deity) carved up Majora's carapace and made the mask, in which Majora's essence survived.

Meanwhile, the dance-to-death explains why Majora's Incarnation (the second form) dances all over the place, from the moonwalk to the can-can. It's a very cool origin story and one I wish they explored in the game proper. It would be cool to see Majora restored to his beast form in a future Zelda someday... Call him Majora's Hunger, since eating warriors is what he did. :)

Anth0ny

Neiteio said:
Can't believe the OP praised the villain of my all-time favorite game but forgot to post what he looked like before he was reduced to a mere mask:

[img ]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/zelda/images/8/80/Majora_(Manga).gif[/img]

[img ]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090906092634/zelda/images/8/8e/Majora_manga.jpg[/img]

Majora's beast form, from the manga. As the legend goes, he ate every warrior who ventured into his realm to challenge him, until one warrior brought a pair of bongos (if I recall correctly) and played a beat that caused Majora to dance... and dance... and dance, until after 72 hours he collapsed of weariness and the warrior (the Fierce Deity) carved up Majora's carapace and made the mask, in which Majora's essence survived.

Meanwhile, the dance-to-death explains why Majora's Incarnation (the second form) dances all over the place, from the moonwalk to the can-can. It's a very cool origin story and one I wish they explored in the game proper. It would be cool to see Majora restored to his beast form in a future Zelda someday... Call him Majora's Hunger, since eating warriors is what he did. :)

IS THIS THE REAL LIFE?

Never seen this before, and I love Majora's Mask so much I fuck it.

Top Bottom