• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora is Nintendo's greatest villain

Ocarina-of-Time-ReDead1.png

This and the other thread really have increased (even more) my desire to see a Majora's Mask 3D. If 3DS end its life cycle without that game, I'll feel sad, very sad.

I mean, yeah, I have the N64 version to play whenever I want, but a facelift like OOT3D with improved models and textures, touch interface, 3D and better framerate would be a dream come true. Oh, and a Master Quest. That would be glorious.

JazzmanZ

ehh after playing Kid icarus uprising I'm going to have to say Hades is the best Nintendo villain, dudes got so much charisma.

Seik

Banned
Awesome OP, that was a great read and I gotta say that I agree with everything said.

Well done.

That might have been answered in the past, but does anyone know why Midna had one eye of the Majora's mask on her helmet?

midna.jpg

Always wondered about this too. o_o

SHAZOOM

Between this thread and the unintentionally creepy games thread, I'm dying for a MM 3DS remake.

I'm holding out for this, though this thread makes me want to cave-in and go VC. Early N64 Graphics can be a bit much. Conker/Kazooie on the other hand look damn good.

Link has to become a God to truly defeat him

555.jpg

Link has dispatched multiple Ganondorfs, at least three Vaati's, Aghanim, General Onox, the Sorceress of Shadows, Zant of the Twili, Twinrova, the Nightmares of the Wind Fish, and his own inner darkness personified.

But to completely defeat Majora, he had to become the Fiece Deity.

This is probably the most amazing piece of Zelda art I have seen. Also, OP wins the Internet. Majora is one of the scariest bosses in all of Nintendo, probably only Giygas rivals her.

Gravijah

Nope:

http://i.minus.com/jSFurZ553nbUN.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

yeah, pokey/porky is just on a whole 'nother level. he makes majora look like comic relief bowser.

[quote="InvincibleAgent, post: 38771632"]Good thread. But Link doesn't have to become Oni Link to defeat Majora. I never got the Fierce Deity mask, but I've beaten the game.[/QUOTE]

yeah, i was too lazy to get it in my playthrough, but i still beat majora.

OP gives a lot of great reasons why Majora is the most powerful/evil villain in a Nintendo game, but certainly not the greatest.

A villain being evil personified, with no motivations whatsoever besides "gonna fuck shit up" doesn't make for a good character. The best villains are the ones that have a personality.

As has already been mentioned, the best representation of Ganondorf was in Wind Waker, because they made him somewhat sympathetic, at least right at the end.

Hell, one of the reasons I found Link's Awakening so powerful is because
the reason the nightmares (bosses and regular enemies) are fighting you is because they're trying to stop you from wiping them out of existence by waking the Wind Fish. The last few bosses even specifically tell you this.

Kozak

Banned
Brag:

I beat Majora without Fiece Diety and I only ever had the first energy bar because fuck collecting 15 fairies every temple!

Anth0ny

Brag:

I beat Majora without Fiece Diety and I only ever had the first energy bar because fuck collecting 15 fairies every temple!

1 up:

I beat it with 3 hearts and only the kokiri sword last week. I must have jump slashed Majora's Wrath at least 50 god damn times.

CorvoSol

This is probably the most amazing piece of Zelda art I have seen. Also, OP wins the Internet. Majora is one of the scariest bosses in all of Nintendo, probably only Giygas rivals her.

Hold up. Majora is a girl?

Also, I wanted to disagree, but the argument presented IS a good one. Majora might not have the class Ganondorf does, and maybe Vaati and Ghirahim brought some special stuff to the table, but Majora is definitely the most terrifying enemy in the series.

That said, Bowser still reigns king. He can fall in lava and come back from the dead. Walk on the surface of the sun, had an empire spanning multiple "galaxies" and, in his efforts to make one woman love him and defeat his rival once and for all, he destroyed the universe.

That's some big stuff there.

Levyne

Banned
Hold up. Majora is a girl?

Also, I wanted to disagree, but the argument presented IS a good one. Majora might not have the class Ganondorf does, and maybe Vaati and Ghirahim brought some special stuff to the table, but Majora is definitely the most terrifying enemy in the series.

That said, Bowser still reigns king. He can fall in lava and come back from the dead. Walk on the surface of the sun, had an empire spanning multiple "galaxies" and, in his efforts to make one woman love him and defeat his rival once and for all, he destroyed the universe.

That's some big stuff there.

Majora does sound like a girl when being attacked, though the gender doesn't really matter I don't think.

I always felt like you were supposed to feel more sorry for him than outright despise him (at least in Mother 3) since he's still just a kid. Sure in Earthbound he's a malicious prick but by Mother 3 you can see how the long time between the two games could mess a kid up a lot.

Ezalc

Every time this thread comes back it forces me to come back and put people in their place. The most evil villain in Nintendo history is Manfroy, until somebody outdoes him in one simple fact he wins.

Every time this thread comes back it forces me to come back and put people in their place. The most evil villain in Nintendo history is Manfroy, until somebody outdoes him in one simple fact he wins.

More like Manfroy and Alvis, but yes, the villain wins in Fire Emblem.

OP gives a lot of great reasons why Majora is the most powerful/evil villain in a Nintendo game, but certainly not the greatest.

A villain being evil personified, with no motivations whatsoever besides "gonna fuck shit up" doesn't make for a good character. The best villains are the ones that have a personality.

Pretty much. Video game writing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, great OP. Definitely convinced me. I need to replay this game.

Gilby

Second Favourite:

WtIsw.jpg

'Cause you can't say his name out loud without smiling.

Favourite:
Dk78V.png

C'mon! He's a muther-truckin' SPACE DRAGON!

The stone tower, the people's temple to the giants, had become vacant, the people had forgot about the giants who created their lands. Only the ghosts and dead filled this land. So they brought majora to punish the people, but also to be a sacrifice to remind them of the giants again. However, they knew the risk which majora would bring, and so to ensure the land would not be destroyed they also called upon the fierce diety.

Majora is merely the scrificial lamb, destined to fail, to be killed. The real villian in majora's mask is the people of the world. The creation of a new god and temple, the clocktower, for this a zora, a deku, and a goron were sacrificed, all so no humans had to die. Instead they were forced to find love or overcome the curses and will of majora. Each person link saved was a reminder of the humanity the giants had bestowed upon the people.

at least that's always been my interpretation. Majora was merely a tool of the giants, a means to save termina's humanity.

The best part of majora's mask is that you know the story, you feel it, without being told what it is.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, this thread has made me want to replay MM, did this ever come out on the wii? I lost the power adapter to my old n64 :/
Yeah, I'm 99% sure it's on the Virtual Console. I've been considering picking up a Wii just for the VC lately...

No, Majora isn't even the best villain in the Zelda series. Ganondorf is the best villain in the Zelda series honestly, despite being shallow in some of the entries.

OP said Majora would have won if not for Link? Well, Ganondorf breaks free of his seal after Ocarina of Time and straight up conquers Hyrule, and the people have to activate god mode to save the day. Took the divine intervention of the gods. Otherwise, he won. Plus, Ganondorf straight up kills the Hero of Time in one of the official timelines.

OP also basically said Majora is like The Joker in that he can't be reasoned with, he can't be bargained with, he just kills for the pleasure. Ganondorf can't be reasoned with, either. He does not care what you have to say, and he kills and destroys whatever is in his path. He had no problem beating the shit out of tiny little kiddy versions of Link and Zelda to get what he wanted in The Wind Waker. It didn't matter who was in his way, he'd kill without question to win. He is a deceiver, a thief, a liar, a murderer, and he is ruthless. He murdered his own people to get the Triforce, and plunged multiple realms, not just Hyrule, into darkness and despair as a result

Despite all this, he actually had a side that made me feel a bit sympathetic. Majora was an ancient evil trapped inside a Mask. Who knows what its backstory was beyond that, but it was a one-dimensional villain (not talking about Skull Kid, just the Mask). In The Wind Waker, we actually saw Ganondorf coveted Hyrule, grew up in the harsh Gerudo Desert, and actually originally only wanted to give his people a better life. Yet, he was corrupted by his desire for power and the Triforce, and he lost his humanity over the series and became a monster who eventually had no recollection of his former self. All he desired was Hyrule. Ganondorf's depiction in The Wind Waker is still one of the best treatments a villain has received from Nintendo ever.

I always thought Sephiran was one of the best Nintendo villains...

To be fair, that timeline didn't exist/wasn't known about back when the OP originally made this thread.

Oh wow, yea. Trolled by OP post date.

Ithil

Man, they were on some amount of drugs during development of Majora's Mask. Just look at the Moon stuff alone.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Man, they were on some amount of drugs during development of Majora's Mask. Just look at the Moon stuff alone.

The drug comments always come up with respect to Majora. I was doing some research on the game for my blog, and I've been seeing a lot of connections between MM and traditional fairy tales, where things are twisted and bizarre and morality is messed up. They come from the collective unconsciousness, the source of creativity, of art, of myth.

Zelda's always had a bit of that, but Majora takes it to a whole other level.

The drug comments always come up with respect to Majora. I was doing some research on the game for my blog, and I've been seeing a lot of connections between MM and traditional fairy tales, where things are twisted and bizarre and morality is messed up. They come from the collective unconsciousness, the source of creativity, of art, of myth.

Zelda's always had a bit of that, but Majora takes it to a whole other level.

majora's mask has more in common with the bible than with traditional fairy tails.

MAtgS

Boy howdy does OP ever remind me why MM is the most over-rated Zelda. Not saying its bad but my God do fans (especally on this board) blow it out of proportion.
I've been revisiting the amazing Majora's Mask recently, and I'm more convinced than ever that Majora is Nintendo's greatest, most evil, most competent, and most terrifying villain.

Let me explain my reasoning.

He's cannot be reasoned with.

Majora isn't after power or world domination. He isn't motivated by revenge, conquest, bloodlust or greed. His goal is murder-suicide. He's going to kill every single creature in the world, himself included.
Destroying the world is practically interchangeable with domination in cliched saturday morning villains. Hell he effectively has less depth than Marvin the Martian, at least Marvin had a motive.

& why would he have died? We 1st see him in Hyrule there's no reason he couldn't have hightailed there when the moon fell.

He's a depraved sadist

With only a few days left until his apocalypse triggers, he tortures the people of Termina through psychological manipulation, transfiguration and curses. He separates a loving couple, and destroys the soul of a boy's father. He finds Link, and takes away his body. He poisons the water and manipulates the weather, killing many.

He gains no material benefit from these manipulations. He does it because its fun.
What else was he gonna do for 3 days? sit in the bar?

He's competent

His plan is perfect. His imprisonment of the Giants before summoning the moon ensures that no one will have time to stop him. He doesn't hide behind incompetent guards in a castle, waiting for the hero to kill him.

His downfall is a complete out-of-context event - a visitor from another universe with a Time-Machine. He could not have planned for this.
& this is the part that really bugs me. He's the one that freaking brought Link to Termina to begin with. & trapped him in a form capable of natural projectiles. He didn't exactly thought that part out.

& he had to have suspected there was something to the OoT if that was the very 1st thing he grabbed.

Oh & he gave Link the Fierce Deity Mask. "Competent", huh?

Link has to become a God to truly defeat him

Link has dispatched multiple Ganondorfs, at least three Vaati's, Aghanim, General Onox, the Sorceress of Shadows, Zant of the Twili, Twinrova, the Nightmares of the Wind Fish, and his own inner darkness personified.

But to completely defeat Majora, he had to become the Fiece Deity.
Stated by others already but this is hardly true at all. Plus despite the name we don't really know the origin of the mask (except in the disputable manga) or if Link was really godlike at all.
Ganon
in FSA is probably the most powerful, with 4 Links it still takes a billion hits to beat him & he still lived.

In conclusion

So there's my reasoning. He's probably the most depraved villain I know of in gaming. Excessively sadistic, no goals except torture genocide and death, and outstandingly competent. Also very interesting, in a psychopathic kind of way.

If Ganondorf is the evil-dictator of the Zelda series, then Majora is its Satan. I think its about time he returns from Hell to wreak havok on the land of Hyrule.
Ganondorf committed depraved acts too. Cutting the gorons off from their food supply & later making them food is some sort of strange irony. In fact pretty much any villain is at least trying to commit heinous deeds even if they're stopped by their respective heroes.

apana said:
Nintendo's greatest villain is Dash aka Space Hitler:
I'd love to see the slow steady progress of how went from loyal fighter pilot to declaring war on his former planet.

CorvoSol

Some of your responses aren't. "What else was he gonna do, sit in a bar for 3 days?" That's not really a rebuttal to what he said at all.

Chunky

Before people started referring to SS in the future tense, I thought this was a new thread. Nice OP regardless.
Just got water temple and temple 4 to go before I finish MM for the first time.

dude

dude
Eh, I think him being just a depraved psychopath makes him a weaker villain. What the hell is interesting about a villain who's just after wold destruction?

EDIT: Just saw the data... :|

Top Bottom