• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majoras Mask 3D - Review Thread

Rich!

Thought I better start this. I will keep it updated as more come in when the embargo lifts tomorrow.

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-majoras-mask-3d-gets-first-review/

GameInformer - 9.25/10
Purists will decry the changes made to Majora’s Mask no matter how slight they may be, but I am seated firmly in the “change is good” camp. It’s everything you remember, but without the boredom or frustration related to the passage of time. Majora’s Mask was a game ahead of its time in 2000, and revisiting it under this new lens only confirms that sentiment. Whether you’re returning to Termina or visiting it for the first time, Majora’s Mask 3D is the ideal way to experience this classic.

http://www.gamereactor.es/analisis/214534/The+Legend+of+Zelda:+Majora's+Mask+3D/

Gamereactor.es - 9/10

Instead of the epic adventures around the meadows and castles of Hyrule, Majora's Mask is like one of those strange dreams that you have from time to time and where, for some reason, you want to return (...) It's like a B-side of a popular single; less ostentatious, more expressive.

http://gamesided.com/2015/02/04/legend-zelda-majoras-mask-3d-review-borrowed-time/
GameSided - 8.5/10
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D captures the heart of the original N64’s gameplay while updating its presentation for the 21st Century. Unfortunately, some of those updates include features that make the game demonstrably easier to play, at the potential risk of diminishing its cultural impact as part of gaming history. It’s no doubt the most technically advanced version of one of the best Legend of Zelda titles in the series. Whether it’s your first time dipping your toes into the cursed waters of the Southern Swamp or taking a familial dive back into the waters of Great Bay, you’re in for one hell of a three-day vacation!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/02/04/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3d-review
IGN - 8.7
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D proves that interesting game design and strong world-building never get old. Even 15 years later, it still delivers charming characters, tense resource management, and a world rife with personality. Despite some cumbersome menus and a single drag of a dungeon, Majora’s Mask is a great adventure that (repeatedly) stands the test of time.

GameXplain -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLR9TL0hKqU

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/The+Legend+of+Zelda:+Majora's+Mask+3D/review.asp?c=63671
Pocket Gamer - 10/10
Majora's Mask is basically a must-play game for Zelda fans. It's innovative, packed with good ideas, endlessly intriguing, and perhaps the most memorable adventure Link has ever undertaken.
This 3DS version is the best the game has ever been, though some changes - especially with the more lenient save system - will annoy purists.

Gamespot - 9/10
The Good
More comprehensive quest log more easily keeps track of things
New Song of Double Time lets you move forward individual hours
New Nintendo 3DS C-stick makes camera control more fluid
Tweaked battles and item locations make gameplay feel fresh

The Bad
Camera control is clunky on older 3DS models

http://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3d-review/
TechnoBuffalo - BUY IT
Long time fans of Majora’s Mask will swoon at the idea of playing a game they loved with mechanical improvements added. Fresh Zelda fans who never had a chance to try Majora’s Mask will finally be able to enjoy what’s certainly one of the darkest and oddest entries in the franchise.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D is a wonderful game, and it was so clearly redone by fans of the original. Lovers of Zelda, get excited for a refined trip down memory lane.

Gamesradar - 4.5/5
http://www.gamesradar.com/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3d-review/
Majora's Mask is still as much of a joy to experience as it was a decade and a half ago. Play it for the fancy graphics, the lighting, and the added portability if you want, but just make sure you play it. At first glance a sort-of sequel to Ocarina of Time that's long been seen as the quirky younger sibling that's not to everyone's taste, Majora's Mask blossoms into a sweet, scary, timeless tale that's a showcase of Nintendo's brand of creative genius at its most unconstrained. It might only be a remake - but it's only a remake of one of the most interesting, experimental games of its time.

http://www.examiner.com/review/the-legend-of-zelda-majora-s-mask-3d-review-welcome-to-moonside
Examiner.com - 5/5
Happily, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D retains pretty much everything that made it creepy, magical, experimental, and so ahead of its time back on the N64 while introducing a ton of welcome improvements that make it far more convenient and fun to play than ever. While not every tweak is a good one, the vast majority of them are and the net result is undoubtedly positive.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/4/7874951/zelda-majoras-mask-3d-review-legend-new-3ds-xl
Polygon - 9/10
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D is the best version of a game that’s still unlike any other game ever made. And that makes this remake something very few remakes are: Unconditionally fresh.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/legend_of_zelda_majoras_mask_3d
Nintendolife - 10/10
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D is a magnificent remastering of one of the finest Legend of Zelda games to date. The visual overhaul, the streamlined features and other improvements make this version an even more enjoyable and accessible experience than the original N64 release.

http://business.financialpost.com/2...e-shifting-adventure-classic/?__lsa=f62e-9846
Financial Post - 8.5/10
Majora’s Mask‘s time mechanic may still prove a little perturbing for players who don’t like repeating tasks or working under the stress of a timer, but there’s no denying the unabashed brilliance of its temples, nor its trove of fun and novel items and abilities. And it’s a nice little showcase for Nintendo’s new handheld hardware. By and large, this does not feel like a 15-year-old game.

Claiming people that dislike some of the changes are just purists is kind of a dick move.
Guess they are calling out people who got upset over swimming changes.
IDK personally, I will play it all the way before thinking one way or another.

Claiming people that dislike some of the changes are just purists is kind of a dick move.
Yeah, the time changes are for the better though, but a lot of other changes seem detrimental
But glad he liked it, i guess it means the changes aren't that bad

Purists will decry the changes made to Majora’s Mask no matter how slight they may be

This is a stupid non-statement and bad writing. Decrying any change whatsoever is what defines somebody as a purist. He basically just wrote "purists gonna purist."

Fireblend

Banned
This is a stupid non-statement and bad writing. Decrying any change whatsoever is what defines somebody as a purist. He basically just wrote "purists gonna purist."

Yeah, I was about to say, isn't that the definition of purist? :p

Anyway, all changes look great to me. Never played the original, so I can't wait for this.

Rich!

Which other changes are there?

Off the top of my head:

- you no longer save by returning to the first day. You make permanent saves at owl statues.

- song of double time allows you to skip to any point in the future, rather than strict 12 hour increments

- zora swimming speed has been reduced to shit and you can only go at the normal N64 glorious fast speed by using magic shield.

- bosses have been rejigged and Twinmold battle has been completely redesigned complete with wrestling style smackdowns

- Happy mask man now gives you the bombers notebook

- bombers notebook reminds you of character events now with notifications and shows you maps of where characters will be.

- the bank is now behind the clock tower.

- two new fishing areas!

I think that's all from memory. Dont think I missed any.

Jamix012

Yeah, the time changes are for the better though, but a lot of other changes seem detrimental

That's firmly debateable and I stating it as if it were a fact doesn't mean you're right.

Which other changes are there?

Swimming changes to Zora, Boss battles are changes, bombers notebook change, certain aesthetic changes and other minor things like the change to Deku's spin into water jump combo.

Rich!

All boss battles have been revamped

Actually no. They are all the same apart from the Twinmold battle which has been completely redesigned.

The only differences for Odolwa, Goht and Gyrorg is the boss models themselves. Battles are the same as before. There's videos of their boss battles online, but no one has been able to stream the Twinmold battle yet...

We can see in the Japanese direct that Twinmold battle is totally different and now has QTE esque wrestling style smackdowns.

jwhit28

Arguing the negative reaction to Majora's Mask from Gamespot is how I got into gaming forums. I think Majora's Mask is the Zelda game that will benefit most from people getting a fresh look.

Rich!

Thank god.

Read my post above. He's wrong.

Edit: here

All boss battles have been revamped

Actually no. They are all the same apart from the Twinmold battle which has been completely redesigned.

The only differences for Odolwa, Goht and Gyrorg is the boss models themselves. Battles are the same as before. There's videos of their boss battles online, but no one has been able to stream the Twinmold battle yet...

We can see in the Japanese direct that Twinmold battle is totally different and now has QTE esque wrestling style smackdowns.

Kinsei

Banned

Gyorg has also been changed. I think the way you damage Goht has also been changed.

Majestad

Banned

The reviewer is right though. Your experience of what the "ideal" version of a game is only yours, while others might find the changes much better.

Kiru

And what about that video that showed Odolwa blocking all melee attacks and you having to fly over him, land on his back and attack the eye ? Confused.

Rich!

No, you can still attack him with the Gordon roll once hes stunned as far as the video showed.

Hang on

Ah, that's a shame. Goht and Gyorg are really poor bosses, wish they improved those the most.

Hold your horses, I may be wrong:

And what about that video that showed Odolwa blocking all melee attacks and you having to fly over him, land on his back and attack the eye ?

Wait what

Did I miss this!? Show me the videos again, I want to be proved wrong. From watching the three first boss videos they all looked to play identical to before. I might have missed some crucial parts of the video

Off the top of my head:

- you no longer save by returning to the first day. You make permanent saves at owl statues.

- song of double time allows you to skip to any point in the future, rather than strict 12 hour increments

What is this shit...?

- bombers notebook reminds you of character events now with notifications and shows you maps of where characters will be.

For fucks sake... Nothing is sacred anymore.

emb

I feel like that's fine, since it's setting up for the contrast in the last half.

But I hate the way that sentence comes off as a whole. It makes it sound like the options are to hate any change or to think that all change is good. In the context of the larger review though, I'm sure individual changes are examined and evaluated.

Actually, I'll probably read some reviews for this to see what's up, rather than just looking at the scores. I had no idea we were so close to the New 3DS release until I saw this thread. Still hasn't registered with me yet, we're multiple days into February already. Cool, like a week and a half now.

The major change everybody seems to be upset about is the save change, and I don't see a problem with that. I would if the 3DS were like the Vita, and actually had a decent standby battery life, but it doesn't, and I don't want my game save to be at risk just because I couldn't find time while playing the game on transit to warp back in time.

I'm probably misremembering what owl saves used to do though...

Rich!

The major change everybody seems to be upset about is the save change, and I don't see a problem with that. I would if the 3DS were like the Vita, and actually had a decent standby battery life, but it doesn't, and I don't want my game save to be at risk just because I couldn't find time while playing the game on transit to warp back in time.

Uh...this is what you would have done with the old system:

Warp to dungeon entrance. Go outside. Meet owl statue. Press A. Save and quit. Turn off console. Resume whenever.

Rich!

Yep

jzhCFlzde2h6u.png

Off the top of my head:

This is great news! I was so frustrated when I got stuck in a dungeon and ran out of time and then was forced to start everything over since the owl statues are just temporary saves.

Uh...this is what you would have done with the old system:

Warp to dungeon entrance. Go outside. Meet owl statue. Press A. Save and quit. Turn off console. Resume whenever.
So what used to be the difference between saving at an owl, and warping back in time?

And how has that changed?

Video of Odolwa that shows you can still fight him with just the sword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwX3vInNizM

I can't find a Goht video.
Oh god, they didn't change what most people call one of the best boss fights in a Zelda game, did they?

Top Bottom