• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majoras Mask 3D - Review Thread

TheMoon

Can't post until tomorrow, sorry didn't think I'd be able to post it until tomorrow

I think this is a perfect opportunity to drop some song of time/reversed song of time references. ;D

It's kinda perfect this is happening with THIS game. hahah

Rich!

Just got to snowhead temple. Just over three and a half hours played so far according to my 3DS activity log.

I'm gonna blaze through the four dungeons then take my sweet time doing the sidequests and getting all the masks and heart pieces.

Can't wait to get the Great Fairy Sword and actually be able to use it properly this time (as it will be equippable to Y rather than being restricted to the shitty C buttons on the N64!!)

karma2578

This my first 3DS and I was playing some MM....man time flies by, thought I'd only been playing 30 mins and looked up and 3 hours had past!

Great game!

Rich!

"The Best Way to Fail at Majora's Mask," by Richisawesome

Totally the best way! It was the way I did it back on Christmas day 2000!

Reading all the issues of N64 Magazine right from its announcement as Zelda Gaiden up to release helped me with my first play through a lot, I have to say.

kubus

Yes, if several people have the game, it's fine to post it. If it's just one person who got it early, then probably not.

Does this also apply to the New 3DS OT then? I pmed Seda earlier today and he said I can post the OT tomorrow at 8 PM GMT, which is fine with me, but if I can post it earlier I will. (still won't be until tomorrow noon though).

The situation is the same as here, Nintendo UK store sent out all New 3DS orders yesterday so lots of people already received their unit today. And even more were shipped out today by other online retailers so there will be even more N3DS owners tomorrow.

Rich!

Does this also apply to the New 3DS OT then? I pmed Seda earlier today and he said I can post the OT tomorrow at 8 PM GMT, which is fine with me, but if I can post it earlier I will. (still won't be until tomorrow noon though).

The situation is the same as here, Nintendo UK store sent out all New 3DS orders yesterday so lots of people already received their unit today. And even more were shipped out today by other online retailers so there will be even more N3DS owners tomorrow.

I would say yes.

I mean hell, the N3DS has been available to buy in the UK on 365games.co UK since November. Ive had an EU PAL unit since November as have many others! I know that's not quite the same, but throw in the Ambassador Console and the early shipping of the launch units from the official Nintendo store....and well, uh.

Also, I did the Australian N3DS launch OT. I posted it two days before launch day.

kubus

I would say yes.

I mean hell, the N3DS has been available to buy in the UK on 365games.co UK since November. Ive had an EU PAL unit since November as have many others!

Also, I did the Australian N3DS launch OT. I posted it two days before launch day.

Haha yeah but I reckon import units aren't really seen as part of the official EU launch :p.

Also the bolded part is interesting. Did you get permission to do that or did you just post it that early and get away with it? :p

Anyway don't want to do anything reckless without a mod's approval so I'll just post at 8PM unless Aeana gives me the go ahead to post earlier!

Rich!

Also the bolded part is interesting. Did you get permission to do that or did you just post it that early and get away with it? :p

Well I kinda cheated due to timezones. Bear in mind New Zealand is a good few hours ahead of Australia! And Australia is almost a day ahead of the UK!

I was like, well fuck staying up to 3am to post this. I asked a mod, and posted it early. But that was a bit of an odd case.

Kriken

Okay, I MAY have found a way to post it tonight, just wish I knew this before I left work :/

I make no promises though

Edit: I feel terrible for letting you guys down ;_;

Neiteio

Richisawesome, if you're not going to post your impressions here because a few people complained about potential spoilers, maybe you can PM me them or something

Really enjoyed reading what you've noticed is different. I consider you the board's expert on this game. :)

Rich!

Okay, I MAY have found a way to post it tonight, just wish I knew this before I left work :/

Title:

Majoras Mask 3D |OT| use the song of reverse time

Post content:

Its R L Y R L Y. Yes, rly. It slows time. Use it for fucksake.

Done, now you can throw your OT away and post mine. Its flawless.

don't do this

kubus

Well I kinda cheated due to timezones. Bear in mind New Zealand is a good few hours ahead of Australia! And Australia is almost a day ahead of the UK!

I was like, well fuck staying up to 3am to post this. I asked a mod, and posted it early. But that was a bit of an odd case.
Gotcha. Well I'm gonna get some sleep now and see what happens tomorrow :).

@Kriken: hype! Looking forward to all the #new3dsday OTs :D. Tomorrow's gonna be such an awesome day.

TheMoon

nah keep the impressions coming.

nobody is talking about the reviews anyway. if you wanna know if it's good, read the reviews in the OP!

Rich!

Richisawesome, if you're not going to post your impressions here because a few people complained about potential spoilers, maybe you can PM me them or something

Really enjoyed reading what you've noticed is different. I consider you the board's expert on this game. :)

Heh thanks

But oh man I don't feel like an expert right now...I purposefully haven't played the game for the last five years.

I mean, I've got to Snowhead and got the Goron mask in under four hours playtime. That's good, I guess! But even so - I'm gonna have trouble remembering how to get all the heart pieces and a couple of the masks!

Oh and also, I fell down the hole into a cave in north Termina field, the one with the gossip stones. Its full of waterfalls and it looks beautiful.

TheMoon

Heh thanks

But oh man I don't feel like an expert right now...I purposefully haven't played the game for the last five years.

I mean, I've got to Snowhead and got the Goron mask in under four hours playtime. That's good, I guess! But even so - I'm gonna have trouble remembering how to get all the heart pieces and a couple of the masks!

Rumor has it there is a gang in Clocktown that has the scoop on things like that. Might be worth checking out. ;)

Neiteio

Heh thanks

MM has like a bajillion Pieces of Heart since there are only four Heart Containers found in the dungeons. I'm going to struggle remembering where they all are, as well. But collecting them all is so satisfying! Although I remember some of them being a bitch (in particular, one involving the swamp boat ride, if I recall correctly).

Rich!

I don't mind Rich's posts, but if you're going to do a play by play, maybe use tags. You are literally going in order of play :p

Heh its just neat changes I picked up on

I'm just amazed at how much they've changed. And all of it works. Even the nerfed deku hop isn't that bad, really.

Its just so surprising just how much effort has been put into this compared to OOT3D. Not just in terms of adjusting the core game, but new menus, new map system, entirely ridiculously over the top notebook system, severely overhauled graphics in some areas and even the controls feel more refined. And then you have really nice touches like the world map of Termina, which is a real 3D version of a paper map, which is all brand new assets that changes depends on time of day...compared to OOT3D which just used a basic ass scan of the Hyrule map from the booklet artwork.

Never ever ever thought Nintendo would put this much effort into Majoras Mask. And its nice to see they've put more effort into it than they did with OOT3D. As they should.

Jackano

MM has like a bajillion Pieces of Heart since there are only four Heart Containers found in the dungeons. I'm going to struggle remembering where they all are, as well. But collecting them all is so satisfying! Although I remember some of them being a bitch (in particular, one involving the swamp boat ride, if I recall correctly).

Yep, I think MM is the Zelda game with the most pieces of heart in it. Maybe TP is close or have more, but I think it doesn't count, as in TP you need 5 pieces to make a full heart container, and not 4 IIRC. / Checked and MM have no less than 52 of them!

Neiteio

Yep, I think MM is the Zelda game with the most pieces of heart in it. Maybe TP is close or have more, but I think it doesn't count, as in TP you need 5 pieces to make a full heart container, and not 4 IIRC. / Checked and MM have no less than 52 of them!
TP had so many dungeons (and thus heart containers) that they probably made it five pieces per container just so there would still be a decent number to find.

Rich!

TP had so many dungeons (and thus heart containers) that they probably made it five pieces per container just so there would still be a decent number to find.

TP is the only Zelda I have ever played where I just absolutely cannot be bothered finding everything.

Its just dull as hell. Its tedious and the reward is low. In other games its either fun (lttp) or there is significant reward (mm, OOT with the skulltulas, links awakening, link between worlds, minish cap).

TP was like...gah. Just drab. I liked the dungeons but ehhh

TheMoon

TP also had heart pieces inside of dungeons. The only game that did that, if I'm not terribly mistaken.

Kinsei

Banned
TP also had heart pieces inside of dungeons. The only game that did that, if I'm not terribly mistaken.

Technically there were two you got from the dungeons in Link to the Past but I guess they don;t count because you have to leave through a secret exit to reach them.

Rich!

Technically there were two you got from the dungeons in Link to the Past but I guess they don;t count because you have to leave through a secret exit to reach them.

Yeah, those are in the overworld (like the one outside Desert Palace). You can get pieces of heart from a chest in dungeon areas (caves, houses and other building interiors are classed as dungeons in the ROM) but no actual dungeons contain any of those or solo pieces of heart.

I know its not attached to a dungeon but I always forget how to get to the solitary rock above dark death mountain with a heart piece and a staircase going down. Its silly how I always get stumped by that, even after twenty years.

Neiteio

TP is the only Zelda I have ever played where I just absolutely cannot be bothered finding everything.

Its just dull as hell. Its tedious and the reward is low. In other games its either fun (lttp) or there is significant reward (mm, OOT with the skulltulas, links awakening, link between worlds, minish cap).

TP was like...gah. Just drab. I liked the dungeons but ehhh
Yeah, the dungeons in TP were incredible, but the only place I liked outside of the dungeons was Agitha's house, and the approach to Snowhead (I found the place haunting, and it was quite epic snowboarding down the mountain and seeing the mansion in the distance). Everything else was OK, but a bit "drab," like you said. Castle Town in particular was 50 shades of grey, whereas in OoT it was bright and colorful.

Rich!

They changed some stray fairies locations, this is going to mess me as I almost know where they all were.

Yeah, the one under the bridge in the water in woodfall was gone. That was a real awwwwwww shiiiit moment for me

Snowhead is gonna be tricky if they've changed them there too...

Edit: I feel terrible for letting you guys down ;_;

Title:

Post content:

Its R L Y R L Y. Yes, rly. It slows time. Use it for fucksake.

Done, now you can throw your OT away and post mine. Its flawless.

don't do this

-MOOOOOOONNNNN!!!
-The Groundhog Day of Zeldas
-We Must have played the Song of Time
-Skull Kid is a Jerk!

Anth0ny

Title:

Seriously. No room for a clever pun in the title this time. This is Majora's Mask we're talking about here. If Nintendo isn't going to make it obnoxiously obvious that this song is damn near required for newcomers of the game, then the NeoGAF title must inform players of this information.

We also need a "How to complete dungeons in Majora's Mask (for newcomers)" graphic in the OT.

Step 1. Reach the dungeon, activate the owl statue near the entrance of the dungeon.

Step 2. Warp to Clock Down, deposit rupees at bank, play song of time.

Step 3. Play inverted song of time. Now warp back to the entrance of the dungeon. You now have three full, slow days to complete the dungeon. If that's still not enough time, git gud.

sfried

I don't understand this condescending attitude towards people who found Majora's Mask difficult. It's a tough game. The first two dungeons were easy enough, but the latter two are pretty damn hard. People that aren't Zelda purists probably found it pretty tough to beat the Stone Head temple in one go, whether you had one hour or three. I know I did upon my first playthrough, and it's my favorite Zelda game.

The game can be obtuse at times, and for many that's part of the fun, but others aren't so patient. There's no reason to condescend to people who aren't the absolutely greatest gamers.

Nothing condecending with pointing out that Reverse Song of Time was meant to give people the appropriate amount of time to explore and finish a dungeon.

neoism

Holy shit at that gametrailers review......I now remember why I haven't went to that site in a few years... First time in my 25 years of gaming where "Too many save points". Is bad... -_- Infinite FACEPALM..

Jackano

Link's Awakening had 2 or 3 pieces only accessible by ways starting inside a dungeon, if that counts. But the pieces weren't technically inside the dungeons.

http://nzgamer.com/reviews/2216/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3d.html

6/10 from NZGamer. I wasn't going to post it... until I read the part where the reviewer directly challenges the consensus:

Ben Wilson said:
What's surprises me is how many people don't (or didn't?) question this system. Some will say Majora's Mask involves time travelling - more accurately it entails doing things over again. I get told fleeting remarks like "it's all part of it", "just stick it through", or "you'll get use to it". None of those are a point in its favour. I see very few reasons why it should be part of the game or why I should tolerate it.

I'm sure some of you Zelda fans here could offer a fine rebuttal.

Guru-Guru

Banned

6/10 from NZGamer. I wasn't going to post it... until I read the part where the reviewer directly challenges the consensus:

Considering how he hates how there is only 1 hour to complete everything before you have to reset time, it's clear that he didn't learn the heavily hinted inverted song of time. That is a game changing miss on his part, and would definitely ease a ton of his criticisms. I'm surprised people, especially a game reviewer, somehow can miss it.

Sometimes I question whether or not these "journalists" actually play the games they're supposed to be reviewing.

Ben Wilson said:
Only by completing one of its four dungeons or playing the song of time to keep some of your items will you maintain any progress.

1) Completing a dungeon does not save your progress
2) Playing the Song of Time in the 3DS version does not save your progress
3) There are dozens of Feather Statues scattered throughout Termina which allow you to save at any time

I don't fucking care if he gave the game a 1/10. Blatant misinformation should not be allowed on Metacritic.

Sometimes I question whether or not these "journalists" actually play the games they're supposed to be reviewing.

3) There are dozens of Feather Statues scattered throughout Termina which allow you to save at any time

I don't fucking care if he gave the game a 1/10. Blatant misinformation should not be allowed on Metacritic.

This is just...dude didn't play it. Anyone who has would never type that. I just don't understand it.

TheMoon

Yea that just is ridiculous. I'd go as far as calling this lying.

Sounds like one of those cases where a modern gamer wants things dumbed down to the point where there is no difficulty, the game never constructively punishes you, etc., and the game practically plays itself.

Top Bottom