• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man buys motel specifically to spy on his guests and document their activities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright what the hell at this part?

Foos liked to strike up casual conversations with his subjects after he’d observed them. If he discovered that a guest lived in the Denver area, he would sometimes follow the person home after checkout.

Also, this might be more conclusive than offical research lol.

In 1973, he noted that of the 296 sexual acts that he witnessed, 195 involved white heterosexuals, who favored the missionary position. Over all, he counted 184 male orgasms and 33 female orgasms.

Ithil

norman_peephole.jpg

jmdajr

He also made note of guests whose behavior he found weird or upsetting: the guy who secretly urinated in his date’s bourbon; the obese fellow who checked in with a much younger man and then dressed him up in a furry costume with horns, saying, “You are heavenly; I have never seen a more beautiful sheep-boy.”

Furries man..even back then!

This creeps me out far less than it should. Guess, my natural exobitionist streak would get turned on by the idea of someone watching me fuck *shrugs*

What interested me the most is the voyeurs assertion that the pill gave men a reason to demand sex at any time. And that most men didn't seem to care about a woman's pleasure more than their own.

JoeNut

"These experiences prodded Foos to concoct an “honesty test.” He would leave a suitcase, secured with a cheap padlock, in the closet of a motel room. When a guest checked in, he would say to Donna, in the guest’s hearing, that someone had just called to report leaving behind a suitcase with a thousand dollars inside. Foos then watched from the attic as the new guest found the suitcase and deliberated over whether to break the lock and look inside or return the suitcase to the motel office.

Out of fifteen guests who were subjected to the honesty test, including a minister, a lawyer, and an Army lieutenant colonel, only two returned the suitcase to the office with the padlock intact. The others all opened the suitcase and then tried to dispose of it in different ways. The minister pushed the suitcase out the bathroom window into the bushes"

This is great, good post.

Spotted an interesting update on this story. The book hits shelves in less than two weeks and the author, Gay Talese, is disavowing it on the grounds he thinks Foos made a bunch of this shit up:

But Talese overlooked a key fact in his book: Foos sold the motel, located in Aurora, Colo., in 1980 and didn’t reacquire it until eight years later, according to local property records. His absence from the motel raises doubt about some of the things Foos told Talese he saw — enough that the author himself now has deep reservations about the truth of some material he presents.

“I should not have believed a word he said,” the 84-year-old author said after The Washington Post informed him of property records that showed Foos did not own the motel from 1980 to 1988.

“I’m not going to promote this book,” the writer said. “How dare I promote it when its credibility is down the toilet?”

But property records also show a series of sales and purchases of the motel from 1980 to 1988, none of which Talese said he knew about. In a series of interviews, he expressed surprise, disappointment and anger to learn about the transactions. He said he had not been aware of them until a reporter asked him about it on Wednesday.

“The source of my book, Gerald Foos, is certifiably unreliable,” Talese said. “He’s a dishonorable man, totally dishonorable. . . . I know that. . . . I did the best I could on this book, but maybe it wasn’t good enough.”

Some of the book’s timeline of events has already been called into question, particularly an incident that Foos said he witnessed at the motel in 1977. While secreted in the attic, he said he saw a man strangle a woman to death in the room below. He said he later reported this to police, without revealing he was an eyewitness. But Talese was unable to find any official documentation of this crime, and in the book and New Yorker excerpt, he dismisses this discrepancy as a record-keeping error by authorities.

The book makes only fleeting reference to a murder that did occur at the Manor House: the unsolved 1984 homicide of a man named James Craig Broughman, apparently by an intruder.

More at the link above. Foos is sticking to his story.

Vanish

Didn't Foos show Talese the spy ducts he had had in had in the attic? There's probably some little truth to it.

Didn't Foos show Talese the spy ducts he had had in had in the attic? There's probably some little truth to it.

Yes, and one of the other owners from the '80s has confirmed that he actually went up there with Foos on multiple occasions. It's not a complete fabrication, but this new information brings many of his individual stories into question.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This was both disturbing and fascinating. He's a horrible person, but human behavior, especially when no one is observing, is fascinating.

This Foos guy is off his fucking rocker. The ways in which he's justified his actions are amazing. He clearly believes he's done nothing wrong outside of failing to report the murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom