• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man buys motel specifically to spy on his guests and document their activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Wonder what this guy's kids think of this? The article says he's kept it secret from them for all these years, but now they would know. Would be weird to find this out about your dad. But maybe they've suspected something all along. He seems like a weird dude in general.

gutshot

I was just thinking this might be something made up by the writer

The writer is a pretty well known journalist and author. I don't think he would make up something like this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Talese

There is also this blog post about the writer trying to track down the Jane Doe murder records, with Gerald Foos in toe. http://blogs.denverpost.com/books/2...d-in-aurora-with-hints-of-a-secret-life/9553/

I do think Foos probably made up some of the more outrageous stories he claims to have witnessed. But if we assume that the writer is a reliable witness, the claims of him having an attic where he spied on his motel guests seems to be true.

Despite how despicable it is to spy on people like that, observing people in motels does seem like an enlightening study. But that guy's perversions skewed the data.

entremet

The writer is a pretty well known journalist and author. I don't think he would make up something like this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Talese

There is also this blog post about the writer trying to track down the Jane Doe murder records, with Gerald Foos in toe. http://blogs.denverpost.com/books/2...d-in-aurora-with-hints-of-a-secret-life/9553/

I do think Foos probably made up some of the more outrageous stories he claims to have witnessed. But if we assume that the writer is a reliable witness, the claims of him having an attic where he spied on his motel guests seems to be true.

Gay Talese is very well regarded.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
I can only wonder if he might not have done even worse than watch since he admits to stalking some of the women to their homes. Extraordinarily creepy.

completely insane, definitely feels like Gerald Foos is the type to exaggerate and fabricate parts of his life in service to his ego, but there's enough of a core there that i believe most of what was written.

i'll be on the look out for that book.

I read this few weeks ago, really crazy and interesting read. It really solidifies my belief that cheap motels are mainly used for creepy sex and hookups.

I'll be waiting for the movie.

He was never caught and only told his wives and this author who signed a confidentiality agreement. Only recently did he decide to go public with his "research" and waived the confidentiality agreement. This story is the first any one has heard of this.

And 18 years after the last act of spying, so the stature of limitations had most likely run out.

Though the murder might be more problematic.

Edit: Also apparently a movie is coming:

http://www.westword.com/news/steven-spielberg-sam-mendes-to-make-movie-about-aurora-voyeurs-motel-7774920

Just read the whole thing, very interesting article.

Curious about that book that the author is writing, might have to check it out later

Clefargle

Read it, of course this guy is unethical and disturbing and unnerving. But one quite was really profound:

My observations indicate that the majority of vacationers spend their time in misery. They fight about money; where to visit. . . . All their aggressions somehow are immeasurably increased, and this is the time they discover they are not properly matched. Women especially have a difficult time adjusting to both the new surroundings and their husbands. Vacations produce all the anxieties within mankind to come forward during this time, and to perpetuate the worst of emotions. . . .
You can never really determine during their appearances in public that their private life is full of hell and unhappiness. . . . This is the “plight of the human corpus,” and I’m sure provides the answer that if the misery of mankind were revealed all together spontaneously, mass genocide might correspondently follow.

Skux

You can tell this Foos guy loves the sound of his own writing.

My voyeurism has contributed immensely to my becoming a futilitarian, and I hate this conditioning of my soul. . . . What is so distasteful is that the majority of subjects are in concert with these individuals in both design and plan. Many different approaches to life would be immediately implemented, if our society would have the opportunity to be Voyeur for a Day.

Conclusion: I am still unable to determine what function I serve. . . . Apparently, I’m delegated the responsibility of this heavy burden to be placed upon myself—never being able to tell anyone! . . . The depression builds, but I will continue onward with my research. I’ve pondered on occasion that perhaps I don’t exist, only represent a product of the subjects’ dreams. No one would believe my accomplishments as a voyeur anyway, therefore, the dreamlike manifestation would explain my reality.

Maximo

Man the dude fucking watched someone strangle a women to death and didn't do anything about it, this is really interesting but also really weird.

Foos never got over his first love, a high-school cheerleader named Barbara White, who, along with crowds of onlookers, cheered from the grandstands after he had hit a home run or scored a touchdown. This was in 1953, his senior year, and I saw clippings about him from the Greeley Daily Tribune, which regularly printed his picture and described his achievements. “Foos made a beautiful run, escaping a couple of potential tacklers at the line of scrimmage and plowing on after being hit again at the 10,” read one story. Barbara White broke up with Foos when she discovered that he had a foot fetish.

why am i not surprised

Hjod

Banned
The dude is really of his rockers but at the same time it's a really fascinating read.

I just finished reading The Hilliker Curse and having a motel to spy on people would be James Ellroys wet dream.

U2NUMB

Have not read it yet.. at work and will later but my initial question is did he never cough? Did he never sneeze? Or is any noise in a hotel easy to dismiss due to so many people being around you.

Creepy as hell but while he though human behavior was amazing to watch I think his behavior is the really interesting part.. wow

Fascinating read. While the act of voyeurism is despicable, I do appreciate the second-hand look into the human psyche.

Will read the book and watch the movie.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Have not read it yet.. at work and will later but my initial question is did he never cough? Did he never sneeze? Or is any noise in a hotel easy to dismiss due to so many people being around you.

Creepy as hell but while he though human behavior was amazing to watch I think his behavior is the really interesting part.. wow

He actually yelled at some guy through the vent because he saw him wiping his greasy chicken fingers on the bed linen.

The guy looked around the room and out the window... apparently then when he didn't see anyone he got back on the bed and continued eating his chicken and wiping his hands on the linens.

He actually yelled at some guy through the vent because he saw him wiping his greasy chicken fingers on the bed linen.

The guy looked around the room and out the window... apparently then when he didn't see anyone he got back on the bed and continued eating his chicken and wiping his hands on the linens.

Ok, this is hilarious.

MogCakes

Another big revelation is just how disgusting and shady motels are. I already associated them with roach-fests and the like, but damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom