• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man fed up with nagging wife hides in forest for 10 years

And? I was not talking about those posts.
So you decided to make a blanket statement of “here comes the casual misogyny” because of a single post rather than quoting and responding to that post? Yeah, ok then. We both know you were trying to imply more than that post and now you’re trying to handwave it away, all the while calling the guy a nutcase.

The premise of the entire thread is casual misogyny; that's baked into the duplication of the Daily Mail headline as the title of the original post. Even though the thread backfired somewhat, it's not inappropriate to remark on the ease with which that misogynistic caricature was swallowed and even, to a small extent, amplified.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It seems a strange thread to call out "casual misogyny" when mostly the opposite was happening here.
"Here comes __" = "oh look __ is starting", not "we are being overwhelmed with ___"

What's with the ridiculous defensiveness in this thread now

So you decided to make a blanket statement of ”here comes the casual misogyny" because of a single post rather than quoting and responding to that post? Yeah, ok then. We both know you were trying to imply more than that post and now you're trying to handwave it away, all the while calling the guy a nutcase.
Not a single post, no, I spotted at least 3.

I have no idea what the rest of your post is on about. And yes, someone who disappears for 10 years, even ghosting his own sister, is clearly a deranged person.

The premise of the entire thread is casual misogyny; that's baked into the duplication of the Daily Mail headline as the title of the original post. Even though the thread backfired somewhat, it's not inappropriate to remark on the ease with which that misogynistic caricature was swallowed and even, to a small extent, amplified.
Well said.

I feel that folks are focusing on the thread title and ignoring this part of the statement;

Sounds like the guy was in abusive relationship due to his wife being a controlling person.

Seriously? The dude say he was working and not having time for his family but somehow in your mind his wife is the issue?

You think a women requesting her man to spend time with his family is abusing him? Really now? Have you actually read that during their marriage everything was fine until he started over working and not being available to his spouse at all?

Do you think any spouse will accept to barely see or spend time with their significant other? What world do you live in?

Windam

Scaley member
ExcitableGeneralEyas-max-1mb.gif

It's actually the premise for a book
51eQlDAQPOL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Shit, I remember this book. Kid tamed a falcon and lived in a tree.

Keri

This man sounds mentally ill and it's a shame this article is making the rounds on the internet. The phrasing of the title suggests the wife was the problem, rather than whatever mental illness caused him to have such an extreme reaction to his wife's request. This article is basically: "Women can be unbearable, am I right? What with all the nagging." Instead of: "Mentally Ill Man Who Abandoned Family for 10-Years, Reappears." Which is what the title should be.

This man sounds mentally ill and it's a shame this article is making the rounds on the internet. The phrasing of the title suggests the wife was the problem, rather than whatever mental illness caused him to have such an extreme reaction to his wife's request. This article is basically: "Women can be unbearable, am I right? What with all the nagging." Instead of: "Mentally Ill Man Who Abandoned Family for 10-Years, Reappears." Which is what the title should be.

"I just upped and left, I got fed up with her because we used to get so many arguments.
'It took me three weeks to get back to London.

Yes, so mentally ill. /s

A mentally ill person, would not have a rational reaction. He just has wrong on his actions and he should have just said: "I can't stand you, I wanna get divorced".

This thread is hilarious. Y'all had a brother second guess if i even knew what misogyny meant because of such a dramatic turn in tone here!

I guess the headline/article is up to interpretation. When i read it, It never dawned on me until some of the responses that the guy was the 'victim' here. Even typing it seems laughable. The headline is definitely manipulative and poorly written, but the guy being a loser is pretty clear cut.

Guess i'm just not understanding sympathy for the guy here, and I'm DEFINITELY not understanding the gender reversal argument.

Where's the abuse here? Man OR Woman walks out on their obligations when their lives aren't in danger, is a loser.

Abuse? Because of differences in priorities and opinions? Isn't that just the HARD part about relationships of any kind? Working out differences through communication, consideration, and sacrifices? If no treaty can be found, aren't there societal arrangements that we've come up with that serve both parties? Mediation? Divorce? Whatever??

Even as I type this, it feels so silly....but at what part is walking out for ten years without any communication part of the societal pact? Hell, once upon a time we would consider those friends that don't return calls and close off from the rest of the world for a few weeks 'assholes that we tolerate'. This guy's a low-key hero...AND A VICTIM, though.

Ah Gaf.

... People are seriously, legitimately taking the man's side here? How more clearly insane does it get past a man running to live in a forest for a damn decade?

And my god did I really read "we've all thought about it, he was just the only one brave enough to do it"... What?! Literally running away to hide instead of facing your problems is now being brave?!

What the hell thread did I walk into here I feel like I'm losing my mind myself, hopefully I don't end up in a forest.

Keri

Yes, so mentally ill. /s

A mentally ill person, would not have a rational reaction. He just has wrong on his actions and he should have just said: "I can't stand you, I wanna get divorced".

Yes, a mentally ill person does not act rationally. Disappearing without providing any notice to your family and hiding in the forest for 10-years, because your wife asked you to cut down your working hours is not rational.

gogosox82

What? Why not just talk to your wife or just get a divorce instead of living in the woods for 10 years? And not telling your family and letting them think your dead for 10 years is really selfish and irresponsible.

"Here comes __" = "oh look __ is starting"

But there were no signs of "__" "starting" and "__" didn't "start."
There were a few of them, overwhelmed by the majority opposing them.

What's with the ridiculous defensiveness in this thread now

Not "defensiveness."
"Accurate description of what is happening."

Well said.

So you agree then that the issue is with the article itself?
Great - most people here think the same thing.
So we're mostly on the same page.
Glad to hear.

Astral Dog

What? Why not just talk to your wife or just get a divorce instead of living in the woods for 10 years? And not telling your family and letting them think your dead for 10 years is really selfish and irresponsible.
Yeah super drastic but sometimes people need a change on their lives to find happinesd and living on the woods is super brave.man was not happy.

Goes out for a pack of 10 smokes.

Comes back 10 years later:
"Honey, it turns out they banned 10-packs. Do you want me to get you get a 20-pack?"

Aske

No one in this thread has made the obvious connection. Man loves gardening. Wife wants him to garden less. Man refuses, and sneaks away to live in the forest.

The guy is having sex with plants. It's a tale as old as time.

It's actually the premise for a book
51eQlDAQPOL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Jean Craighead George. Jean. Craighead. George.

Top Bottom