• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man fed up with nagging wife hides in forest for 10 years

Daaaamn, the lengths some people will go to in order to not have to communicate with their SO. Of course we're missing a lot of details about the marriage, how many hours he worked, etc but I'm thinking someone who just packs up and goes camping for 10 years with no word to friends or family because his wife nagged about his working hours, maybe could have been prone to spending a little too much time away from home.

Did this start as a GAF post from 10 years ago?

At one point I did think it read like someone taking the worst joke answer from a GAF relationship thread seriously.

This is a fantastic story with a great ending. The guy knew things weren't getting better, so he chunked the deuce.

He's a man among men.

Buddy, if that's what "being a man" is to you, then you should worry. From the description, his wife didn't really sound all that unreasonable, and agreeing to marry somebody means compromise.

The person I really feel for is the sister. Imagine a sibling just disappearing and you spending all that time combing shelters in the hope you'll find them alive.

Wife: "I would like if you worked less."
*Man hides in a forest for ten years*

...What.

These demands do not seem very... unreasonable on the surface if you're willing to hide in the forest for 10 years.

Wife: "You spend too much time away from home."
Him: "Bring me a beer and then hold it for the next ten years."

Maybe talk to your partner instead of dipping for a decade, guy.

What's the deal with the passive agressive posts around here? If you think a post reflects casual misogyny, have the courage to point it out, the minimum age here is 13, some might not be aware of the connotations of their posts.

Uhh, you often get banned if you're aggressive instead of just passive aggressive.

... It's pretty clear which posts she is referring to also.

This story seems to have been written from an original leaflet or newsletter from the charity, Emmaus. The original intention seems to have been to highlight the work they do to help homeless people. This guy deserted his home and ended up permanently homeless. Now they've helped him to make a start on reconnecting with his relatives who assumed he was dead. Great work.

Edit: now the ads are telling me I can have the garden of my dreams for £55, but I'm not chancing my marriage like that.

Smellycat

Guy in the OP spying on his family from the woods:

hMpqFvE.gif

Buddy, if that's what "being a man" is to you, then you should worry. From the description, his wife didn't really sound all that unreasonable, and agreeing to marry somebody means compromise.

The person I really feel for is the sister. Imagine a sibling just disappearing and you spending all that time combing shelters in the hope you'll find them alive.

No worries on my end. I'm good. Thanks for the concern.

Uhh, you often get banned if you're aggressive instead of just passive aggressive.

... It's pretty clear which posts she is referring to also.

How hard is it to find a middle productive ground there? And it isn't just this thread I've noticed posts like this in, just find it to be a self congratulatory way of posting without actually engaging in conversation. I say that with self awareness of this post!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's the deal with the passive agressive posts around here? If you think a post reflects casual misogyny, have the courage to point it out, the minimum age here is 13, some might not be aware of the connotations of their posts.
lol, "courage"

I didn't point them out because I felt they were obvious but maybe not. All the posts about what a hero he is, how his wife was the problem/abusive, etc.

Something else was obviously going on. You just dont leave like that over something so small.I can see why he didnt tell family though people can be ass holes and desevrve to be disowned. Not that the sister did anything wring he pribably had nore then ine family member at the time.

lol, "courage"

I didn't point them out because I felt they were obvious but maybe not. All the posts about what a hero he is, how his wife was the problem/abusive, etc.

There's exactly one comment praising the guy before your post. By a Junior. Most of the others are critical of the guy.

On top of that, if the roles were reversed, we'd absolutely be talking about perceived abuse from the runaway's perspective.

So where is the misogyny here?

rjinaz

This is a fantastic story with a great ending. The guy knew things weren't getting better, so he chunked the deuce.

He's a man among men.

Nah, dude's a piece of shit and a coward. Not somebody to be admired. A man among men, as you so call him, would have manned up and just got a divorce instead of hiding in the woods for 10 years and making the people that loved him think he was dead.

I mean, we've all dreamt of just leaving town one day without saying goodbye or telling anyone where we went. Only difference is this guy was brave enough to do it.

rjinaz

I mean, we've all dreamt of just leaving town one day without saying goodbye or telling anyone where we went. Only difference is this guy was brave enough to do it.

Speak for yourself.

It sounds like the guy was in a miserable marriage because he loved his work more than his wife so instead of being an adult and taking care of the problem, he just ran away.

I can say for certain I have never just wanted to leave without a trace forever. There are people that care about me and I them.

I'm a firm believer of trying your best to come up with a solution before choosing divorce, but come on! How did this guy get to that conclusion? Divorce would have been sooo much easier. Confront the problem. Don't just hide in a forest for 10 years!!!

Also I told my sister about this and she said she would have dumped me in the forest with no communication towards her or the family. Ouch. But fair.

Farsi

I'm not sure I would live in a forest for 10 years but if I were in his situation I would definitely run away without a trace so I sympathize with him.

There are more posts saying how messed up he is / how messed up what he did is / etc.

It's just poor journalism. Emmaus puts out a press release about a guy who ran away from home, journalist decided to make the story about his wife, because Emmaus helping poor feckless sods like this isn't interesting enough.

We know nothing about his wife, and there's no evidence that the journalist bothered to verify that he even had a wife. They were only interested in writing their clickbait story for their awful right wing tabloid rag, the Daily Mail. A Kiwi newspaper ran the story verbatim, and after a session of copy-paste by the original poster here we are all arguing about nothing.

lol, "courage"

I was being overly kind by using the word courage there, perhaps even a bit passive agressive. But no, I'm no mind reader, I don't know which posts you consider to be misogynistic. Different people have different sensitivities to these things after all, perhaps this is an opportunity for education and a higher level of discussion for the posters you deem to be engaging in casual misogyny. It is an unsual story.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
He’s definitely not well mentally to be that drastic. Divorce would have been the best solution to this problem.

Maybe best, but not necessarily easiest. Maybe not even best. You ever been through a divorce? Also don't know the intimacies of their relationship.

For better or worse, I gotta hand it to him. Few people just walk away and restart their lives doing what they actually want.

Wamb0wneD

That's some uh...dedication.

Please point these posts out instead of making blanket statements. I don't see where you're getting this idea from.

There's exactly one comment praising the guy before your post. By a Junior. Most of the others are critical of the guy.

On top of that, if the roles were reversed, we'd absolutely be talking about perceived abuse from the runaway's perspective.

So where is the misogyny here?

I hate seeing people on my ignore list popping up in quotes.

sephiroth7x

This genuinely feels like something that could have only happened in England... before I even clicked into the thread I knew it would be...

Glad I wasn't disappointed... only a mild mannered Englishmen would decide instead of doing the sensible thing and talking to his wife, he would instead walk hundreds of miles and live in a forest.

Top Bottom