• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man pushed down onto train tracks by madman, killed. (Photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always afraid of this happening to me as a kid... being pushed into oncoming traffic, thrown over a bridge, etc. Creepy stuff.
http://i.imgur.com/YNrpF.gif[/img
(not video of the incident in this thread)[/QUOTE]
What the fuck!?

What is the story behind this?? Goddamn I hope they caught that fucking trash that pushed him ):

How the fuck could someone publish that photo when it's a testament to them not doing anything?

People know that getting hit by a train is potentially lethal. The circumstances around the accident is the news story. That photo is fucking trash

Train death for some reason is one of my biggest fears for whatever reason. I love trains a lot, and it will probably traumatize me a bit if I see someone die via train. It's also why I'll never consider becoming a train operator, which was my dream job when I was young. lol

It's a shame this happened...

I figured that if I somehow end up on the tracks, I'd lie in the canal between the rails. I'm surprised it's only about 2 feet deep, but it really depends on both the train and the station. I bet it's much deeper in some stations.

The headline, the people not giving a fuck and taking a picture...

Is right out of the first chapter of:

gantzkeikuronokazunar71rix.jpg

Damn... Oku was right.

First thing I thought of.

You stick with that then. Your judgments will correspondingly carry little weight.

and you're the judge of people's reactions in this thread?

Do these stations not have some sort of emergency alarm button? I would think that would work alot better than trying to "signal the driver" with camera flashes.

MTA don't even have money to fund their repairs man.

90 seconds is more than enough time to run to the end of the track and use the ladder. I'm sure panic played a role and possible intoxication or being stunned from falling onto the track in the first place. Pusher is a coward.

the train was already covering the emergency ladder as it was pulling in.

I suppose if he had just laid down flat on the ground he would have survived?

railcar_rescueu1pss.gif

each station in NYC MTA is different, one may have a gap like that but not others.

This metro is so 1900's.

fixed for you.

I was there yesterday. I was going to work from Brooklyn to Manhattan and usually I take the D train which leaves me closer to my job but I had missed it and took the N instead.
I was in the station a few minutes just gathering myself (don't ask me why)which leaves me at 49th street station.
I didn't see the actual moment he got hit (I was on the uptown platform) but did see the people scrambling. then I heard "oh shit!" "oh my god" etc. the thing is, you ride the trains long enough you know when they are coming, the air gets a bit cooler, you feel the wind.
and sometimes if there are workers on the tracks trains roll into stations slow. but no such luck this time.

the 49th street station has a bit of a gap in the middle of the track floor where someone small could MAYBE fit. but that's doubtful.
you could also run until the train stops giving yourself precious seconds, but it isn't a flat floor, it has gaps from the train tracks so you'd be doing an obstacle course.

you can't go on the sides either, not a big enough gap at this station. there is an emergency ladder but it's at both ends of the platform. the train already blocked one, the other is 5-600 feet (200 Meters) away at the other end. your only chance is to run to the gap in between the uptown/downtown platform and hold on to the light/signal switches are which the transit workers do all the time.

but you have seconds to do this. or hope someone alerts the subway token booth clerk and he can maybe signal ahead. I saw this at Brook Avenue(#6 train) in the Bronx. luckily that stations like all numbered train stations has a timer which tells you how long until the next train arrives. the letter lines except for the L train do not have this. (again MTA is broke)

Arsenic

*awesome post*

Thank you for explaining to those outside of NYC how these stations are setup.

Usually, if im waiting on a platform, I do scan the area and track bed for potential rescue/escape methods in case im ever in a situation. As said earlier, I saw someone get killed by a J train in queens, and have been doing this every trip.

I noticed every station has different setups, and trying to climb back up to the platform is usually the worst idea.

You know, I never stand in front strangers on subway platforms, specially when I'm close to the egde. I'm always super paranoid that someone will just push me unto the tracks and leave me for dead.

This is disgusting, though. The guy is just going about his day, doing what he does, and a few moments later he's in a losing fight for his life. Sad.

Dead Man

It's not just the tackiness of the cover, it is the way they comlpetley igonred that he was saving people from thte lunatic. If they went with some sensationailt headline about 'hero being crushed' it would at least have been something.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
surley some one or a few people could have grabbed his hand and lifted him up?
or didnt they have enough time ? :(

so I took the downtown tonight like I always do. no sign of blood or anything.
there was a woman's boot on the train tracks. so looking at the train station itself more carefully it has three tracks, the Uptown the Downtown and the middle express track which is not used during the day.

the man could have definitely saved himself if he had simply just gone to the middle track where the light/signal switches are (which were being fixed the night before)

giving people more than enough time to signal the conductor and the token booth clerk.
I assume when you fall in, your first instinct (assuming you didn't hit your head and aren't unconscious) is to try to climb right back up.

I don't mean to sound cruel but, people die on the tracks. workers, riders. it happens. it gets reported by all local papers. this one would not have been any different EXCEPT, the guy was helping people and the Post chose not to go with that angle because instead it had photos of what happened. they trail the Daily news and need all the readers they can get. that's what they do now, it's who they are. they didn't always used to be like this. they used to be nicer. now they make Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh blush.

Jinroh

All the new stations here are protected just like this, though:
I don't think you will ever see this in NY though. I don't know why the city doesn't invest in its metro system. In went there in 2005 and this metro was really prehistoric. It was even raining in some metro stations when the weather was bad.

antonz

I don't think you will ever see this in NY though. I don't know why the city doesn't invest in its metro system. In went there in 2005 and this metro was really prehistoric. It was even raining in some metro stations when the weather was bad.

City Government is more concerned with how much soda you are drinking or the salt in food.

Enron

Banned
I don't think that photographer could have saved that guy, but it is disgusting he figured "let me get a few photos of this and get PAID".

To those wondering "why didn't anyone help him" etc, those trains are faster than you think and to pull that guy up you'd be putting your arms and head inches from a speeding train - if you dont get him up and get clear in time, you are probably going to share his fate.

Before I went to go work in the wonderful world of Retirement Benefits, i did two years at the Federal Railroad Administration. I've seen photos far worse than this one :x

Dude Abides

Banned

The subway is over 100 years old and massive. You can't just wave a magic wand and modernize it. The MTA has a capital program for 2010-2014 over $20 billion.

City Government is more concerned with how much soda you are drinking or the salt in food.

The MTA isn't run by the City. Derp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom