• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man pushed down onto train tracks by madman, killed. (Photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thabiz

Stop being outraged, take a breath and think. Please. Your judgment, if it means anything, can wait for more information. Or you can stamp your feet and yell. Whichever makes you feel better.

i have photographic evidence that the photographer is a piece of shit. I dont need anymore.

FinKL

Is that paper real???

First thing I said. I still dont think it is, until I see it on the news later today, I'm sure I'll see it then...

Trains move so fast, almost instantly to me. Although it was uncalled to get those photos published, I hope the photographer donates all the funds to the victims family or a reward to find the perp.

charsace

Part of the reason this happened is because the guy that did it is crazy. The guy that pushed him would have been in a mental institution in the past. Terrible thing to happen.

Um not even europe has those. I've traveled in the paris, madrid, london, berlin metros. All do not have safety barriers (I remember seeing some in paris but not at all.)

I am in favor of them though. I'm horrified of something like this happening.

Eh we certainly do some places (think all of our metro system but not normal trains), but yeah it isn't the standard at all, it wouldn't really be possible to have them everywhere.

HiiiLife

Is it bad that this is the sole reason why I refuse to get on any sort of train?

I'm too paranoid.

Terrible incident and such a disrespectful headline.

I think it's unfair to try and judge whether or not he could have helped the guy without being in his exact position. The speed of his train, the shock, etc means you can't say for certainty what you would do in his position.

Using the photos is scummy, but attacking the guy for not lending him a hand when you weren't there is scummy too.
If he didn't just stand there and take fucking pictures, then you might have had a point.

bob page

This whole thing makes me sick and I'll never touch a Post again. I work a few blocks away and saw the officials swarming the area yesterday- had no idea that this is what happened.

Fuck that photographer and anyone standing up for him.
I wouldn't help the guy either if I thought there was a chance he could pull me in with him or that crazy guy who pushed him in the first place is still around.
In the photo, you can clearly see that no one else is around, let alone the murderer. Reports also state the train was slowing down but he got pinned between it and the platform. I highly doubt it would have pulled anyone with him if it was slowing.

Directly from the article. The driver DID see it and tried to stop. It DID help try to save the man. I don't know why you want to blame this guy so much.

Give me that photographer with his flash if I'm on the train tracks instead of you. He clearly has more brains.

I think you need to read what you quoted. "Abbasi [the photographer] said the driver saw his camera flashing but told him he couldn’t stop the train fast enough." So for one we're taking the photographer's word for it but also it doesn't say anywhere that the driver hit the brakes solely because he saw a camera flashing.

Use some common sense. Do you think those photos look like they were taken with no time to prepare while someone was running?

t26

Part of the reason this happened is because the guy that did it is crazy. The guy that pushed him would have been in a mental institution in the past. Terrible thing to happen.

This. Ronald Reagan basically destroyed mental institution in the US.

LakeEarth

FYI, They hacked a death school girl's cellular phone just to listen in of left messages in the UK. Scum.
IIRC, she was still "missing" at the time, so they also gave false hope to the family (and the police) when someone noticed the messages had been accessed.

slnCb.png

From here

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Edit: Who knows I guess. Terrible either way. I'm surprised no one tried to pull him up. Or he didn't try to run the other way, would that have even worked?

Javaman

I don't think anyone could have safely saved him. A kid maybe, but a full sized man is more likely to pull YOU off too in his panic. Think about it. The best place to put your feet is right on the edge. That keeps the pull angle straight down to your feet. Most people would stand back a bit from the edge due to fear of themselves going in too. What's going to happen when someone with a death grip and panic pulls you at 30+degee angle? You're toast. Unless everyone is calm or you have 2 people working together, it's just going to get you killed. There should be some kind of emergency rope attachet to a wall or pillar to help someone out.

Camp Lo

Banned
I don't know what I would do in this situation but it would be taking pictures.

This crap reminds me of Princess Diana and those asshole photogs taking pictures of her wreckage.

I don't think anyone could have safely saved him. A kid maybe, but a full sized man is more likely to pull YOU off too in his panic. Think about it. The best place to put your feet is right on the edge. That keeps the pull angle straight down to your feet. Most people would stand back a bit from the edge due to fear of themselves going in too. What's going to happen when someone with a death grip and panic pulls you at 30+degee angle? You're toast. Unless everyone is calm or you have 2 people working together, it's just going to get you killed. There should be some kind of emergency rope attachet to a wall or pillar to help someone out.
As someone pointed out before, the correct response is to run away from the train while waving your arms to try to get the operator to stop and put as much distance between you and the hopefully-braking train as possible. There is a ladder at the end of the platform to use to get out.

This is information that should be common knowledge (as in plastered all over the walls with posters and such). It's hugely unfortunate that it ended up like this.

Despera

Banned
Come on guys, even in that earlier photo the victim didn't have much time to get out of there, and he was drunk. Those trains are damn fast. The photographer really isn't to blame here, although it was pretty scummy of him to get these photos published.

Safety measures for these kind of incidents should really be implemented. It's mindblowing that this isn't a standard yet.

Good post.

You would think there would be safety barriers in more of the high risk areas. They don't have to be the full height walls, but half like below.

y8RUa.jpg
Already pointed out in the thread, but these are too risky and not worth the investment. Better go all the way than do a halfass'd job like that.

number47

As someone pointed out before, the correct response is to run away from the train while waving your arms to try to get the operator to stop and put as much distance between you and the hopefully-braking train as possible. There is a ladder at the end of the platform to use to get out.

This is information that should be common knowledge (as in plastered all over the walls with posters and such). It's hugely unfortunate that it ended up like this.

49 street station has 4 tracks. He could of moved to the next one. But panicking does terrible things to your judgement.
Except of course the photographer who thought it would be a cool shot.

YoungHav

Banned
why is the photographer getting slack when there was other people on the platform and there's a huge chance that any rescuer would've been yanked down too? Like people have said the guy could have ran away from the train or safely hop over the 3rd rail and stood at the safespot between the two tracks where columns/beams are located. Cameraman outrage is misguided.

Zips

Do these stations not have some sort of emergency alarm button? I would think that would work alot better than trying to "signal the driver" with camera flashes.

YoungHav

Banned
A police source said he was down there for at least 90 seconds.
90 seconds is more than enough time to run to the end of the track and use the ladder. I'm sure panic played a role and possible intoxication or being stunned from falling onto the track in the first place. Pusher is a coward.

Stuneseht

It's almost 2013, you'd think we'd have some cheap sensors or some shit.

Too many subway rats... Sensors would be going off like crazy.
As for the actual train; I cant imagine how painfull it would be to get tossed from my seat while in the subway car because the train came to a complete stop while doing 40.

Everybody shitting on the photographer when there were other witnesses there, one of which was law enforcement, is kinda funny in a horrible way.

Agkel

Serious question, Ive never ridden a subway besides the BART a few times. Is there a tutorial with pictures of what one could do to survive?, other than jumping out of course. Ive seen some people here mentioning ducking or stepping to the side etc.
edit: I meant high speed transportation

Serious question, Ive never ridden a subway besides the BART a few times. Is there a tutorial with pictures of what one could do to survive?, other than jumping out of course. Ive seen some people here mentioning ducking or stepping to the side etc.
edit: I meant high speed transportation

Nothing beyond "Don't go on the tracks" I would have thought. Which is pretty good advice.

RotBot

Were the no one else there to help warn the driver or help the person out.

This women in this video fell on the tracks drunk while a train was coming and the people were able to flag the driver down to stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV4uQDEW0jI

It's weird how the NYC train couldn't be stopped with the guy falling a good distance away from the tunnel entrance and the train still 60-90 seconds away, yet the Boston train was stopped within only 20 seconds of the woman falling right at the tunnel entrance.

Do Boston trains have better brakes and brighter headlights?

Edit: Another instance of a subway train being stopped with a much shorter reaction time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t18HRNrQTs

It's weird how the NYC train couldn't be stopped with the guy falling a good distance away from the tunnel entrance and the train still 60-90 seconds away, yet the Boston train was stopped within only 20 seconds of the woman falling right at the tunnel entrance.

Do Boston trains have better brakes and brighter headlights?

Edit: Another instance of a subway train being stopped with a much shorter reaction time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t18HRNrQTs

i'm gonna guess yes. the entire NY subway system is pretty ancient.

Miles X

Poor man, you help until the last possible second. I know it's not a crime to stand by and watch someone else die (at least in the UK where I am) but it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom