• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man pushed down onto train tracks by madman, killed. (Photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is horrible :(

And the fact that they published that photo with that headline and caption is completely fucked up.

My condolences to his family, and I hope they catch that son of a bitch.

Gintamen

The caption is horrible... just as all those people in the train station, nobody got any civil courage left in them? Humans are trully the most fearsome animals.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely horrible.

This is one of my semi-irrational fears about riding the MTA. Whenever the train is approaching, I turn to the side (somehow I think this will make it more difficult to be pushed) and make sure there's no one behind me looking crazy.

I feel badly for the train operator - that would mess me up something fierce.

For the people outraged by the Post headline and photo - this is the Post people. This is what they do. They sell newspapers by being the sensational newspaper in town - every headline, every image is pushed to the furthest point. It's a freaking tabloid.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I think he meant stand up against the wall on the track. Some stations have a little gap between the wall and where the train will pass. Theoretically you could hug the wall and the train wouldn't hit you. Most stations the space is not big enough for a person and your gonna get crushed. Not an option really.

There was an incident here (Singapore) 5 years ago where a woman was pushed onto the train tracks by a deranged boyfriend (after she intiatiated a breakup) and that was what the woman did.

0915_gallery_mrt2.jpg

0915_gallery_mrt.jpg

Thankfully we have barriers installed at all stations now (after many suicides and incidents of people accidentally falling in due to fainting spells and what not).

Cagey

Banned
In regards to the photographer and the complaints he didn't "help", do people appreciate how long it takes to 1) run to the guy and 2) help him when compared with 3) the speed of a NYC subway train pulling into station?

Based on wherever the photographer was standing and the arrival of the train, he could have all out sprinted and wound up getting there after the guy was hit, for all we know.

Jimothy

I wouldn't risk a horrible death for someone I didn't know, let alone a drunk idiot that may or may not have started the fight.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I don't live close to any subways so I'm hoping someone can answer me this. Why the fuck isn't there some sort of fence set up around the platform?

Someone should definitely loose their job for that front page.
what the hell.

It's the Post, someone probably got a raise for this.

I don't live close to any subways so I'm hoping someone can answer me this. Why the fuck isn't there some sort of fence set up around the platform?

I know the subway systems in some asian countries have sets of sliding doors that only open up when the train is there to prevent such an occurrence, I imagine it's probably too big of a cost for the MTA.

Stuneseht

This is a very unfortunate event.
I was born and raised in Brooklyn,NY and have taken the subway plenty of times within my lifetime. There are just some rules that you have to follow while taking or even waitng the train.
One of the main rules involves leaving crazy/disturbed people alone; unless they are physically touching you or within your personal space.
If you feel the urge to allieviate the situation- seek help from some authorative figure i.e. Police or the station operator.
I know the fellow within this article could've never predicted that this would have occured to him; but you must take self preservation into account when confronted with a disturbed individual on the subway.

see5harp

Seems like most people are missing the fact that Han was drunk, mad, and functionally impaired. Best not to start fights on train platforms in those situations, I'd think. Nothing the photog could have done, you'd be surprised how fast all this happened in real time.

No, that part is just not as important as the fact that he got thrown onto the tracks by some crazy panhandler.

goodcow

The MTA is a shameful organization. They keep raising the prices with nothing to show for it.

What the fuck does this have to do with the topic at hand? Not to mention almost a fifth of their budget is dedicated to paying down old debt and the reason pension costs are rising across the country are due to low interest rates.

MTAOperatingExpenses.jpg

Safety measures for these kind of incidents should really be implemented. It's mindblowing that this isn't a standard yet.

QlQ3N.jpg

How is this not standard, It would only cost 4000 at most per station to equip. Considering the money large cities have at their disposal, its easily doable.

Dunlop

In regards to the photographer and the complaints he didn't "help", do people appreciate how long it takes to 1) run to the guy and 2) help him when compared with 3) the speed of a NYC subway train pulling into station?

Based on wherever the photographer was standing and the arrival of the train, he could have all out sprinted and wound up getting there after the guy was hit, for all we know.

Did he already have the camera in use before the incident? Otherwise you need to actually do steps to power up and activate your digital camera or smartphone. Those few seconds could have been used to save his life.

Is it known if he charged for the pictures?

goodcow

How is this not standard, It would only cost 4000 at most per station to equip. Considering the money large cities have at their disposal, its easily doable.

Wow. The materials alone would be a double digital multiple more than that, let alone retrofitting them into 400+ stations, some of which are over 100 years old. The system wasn't designed for it. Also, as I stated earlier, there isn't even a standardized train car length, some are 75-feet, others are 100-feet, so door placement would be an issue until the older rolling stock is retired.

whitehawk

Banned
Come on guys, even in that earlier photo the victim didn't have much time to get out of there, and he was drunk. Those trains are damn fast. The photographer really isn't to blame here, although it was pretty scummy of him to get these photos published.

Safety measures for these kind of incidents should really be implemented. It's mindblowing that this isn't a standard yet.

QlQ3N.jpg
I live in Toronto. When I first started using the subway as a kid, I found it mind boggling that there were no fences or anything, and someone could just fall into the tracks. I guess it's the only subway system I've known so I've gotten used to it. We really should have a system like the one in that picture though.

Parch

I've seen guys like the murderer at least once a week. Never engage a crazy person on a subway platform. Keep as much distance between you and him as possible while still keeping tabs on them.
Customers should not be afraid to be there. Maybe security should start cracking down on loiterers. If you're not there to use the transit system, GTFO.

Isn't it possible to just stand in the gap and wait for the train to go by and then try to get out rather than trying to get back up there asap w/ a train looming? That's always been my plan if I fell.

Yea, I take the subway every morning and ugh...I hate it so much.

goodcow

Isn't it possible to just stand in the gap and wait for the train to go by and then try to get out rather than trying to get back up there asap w/ a train looming? That's always been my plan if I fell.

That's what the construction gangs do, so yes, but if a train were barreling down at you your thought process wouldn't likely be so logical.

Polari

I'm sure someone has run a cost/benefit analysis and the cost of retrofitting them to existing metro stations would be too expensive to justify.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
As someone who grew up in the Midwest,subways terrorize me.

Also, the headline doesn't surprise me. I have a coffee table book with nothing but NYP headlines. I think it's called, "Headless Man Found in Topless Bar." Good toilet reading.

As someone who grew up in the Midwest,subways terrorize me.

Also, the headline doesn't surprise me. I have a coffee table book with nothing but NYP headlines. I think it's called, "Headless Man Found in Topless Bar." Good toilet reading.

They're not bad. Just stay away from the edge and avoid eye contact with crazies at all times.

The worst I see are either people arguing or someone preaching about the end of the world in the middle of the subway car. I just ignore em and go about my day. No one bothers me.

Kite

65qta.jpg

This needs to be the standard, it still boggles my mind that the most powerful nation in the world has some of the shittiest public infrastructure I've seen in my travels abroad.

I stand away at all times from the tracks until it comes to a complete stop. No way I'm getting near the damn edge of the platform for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom