• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man with towel-wrapped arms, flags down cops, cops shoot him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

The handcuffing is part of the risk assessment process. The wounded person is handcuffed and searched to confirm that he/she isn't an actual risk. The person isn't 'unarmed' until an officer actually searches the individual for weapons. Until an officer searches a person they can 'potentially' be armed. In order to be searched, the potentially armed person is handcuffed and then searched no the other way around.

I find that disgusting.

I mean fucking hell, nearly everyone in the UK knows how to give CPR, recovery position, put pressure on wounds etc.

It doesn't matter what your job is, most companies put you through those courses.

Shit, you get taught that basic stuff in primary education....

That should pretty much tell you why police don't bother with doing very basic first aid. They see everyone as a potential offender and a potential offender is a potential enemy. And the life of a potential offender and enemy is worth far less than the police officer and anyone else.

TheJLC

When you blow someone's brains out they stop being a risk.

Course that's just my opinion.

I agree with you. But officers legally can't make that call unless their head is literally missing from the body. Until someone in the medical profession arrives, if they have a breath, they are a potential threat. Like I said before, some officers don't even know basic CPR, so they have no legal grounds to say that a man shot in the head isn't going to get up and attack another person.

Then in order for those paramedics to even attend the wounded person, and officer needs to have searched the person or deemed the area safe. The way an officer does that is by handcuffing.

Chichikov

The handcuffing is part of the risk assessment process. The wounded person is handcuffed and searched to confirm that he/she isn't an actual risk. The person isn't 'unarmed' until an officer actually searches the individual for weapons. Until an officer searches a person they can 'potentially' be armed. In order to be searched, the potentially armed person is handcuffed and then searched no the other way around.
The person was never armed.
You're just explaining to me a procedure that failed miserably in this case.

I agree with you. But officers legally can't make that call unless their head is literally missing from the body. Until someone in the medical profession arrives, if they have a breath, they are a potential threat. Like I said before, some officers don't even know basic CPR, so they have no legal grounds to say that a man shot in the head isn't going to get up and attack another person.

Then in order for those paramedics to even attend the wounded person, and officer needs to have searched the person or deemed the area safe. The way an officer does that is by handcuffing.
Officers aren't legally obliged to handcuff anyone, you're conflating police procedure with the law.

Then in order for those paramedics to even attend the wounded person, and officer needs to have searched the person or deemed the area safe.

It's completely insane that they're sent out on the streets with a gun - but not basic first aid training? How does that happen in a developed country?

I don't know how they can have such a disregard for a person's life like that. If someone is on the floor bleeding then you help them - even if you did just shoot them. Legalities, whatever - common sense and not being an imbecile says they're disabled enough and he's not going to shoot you with his highly dangerous towel gun.

TheJLC

The person was never armed.
You're just explaining to me a procedure that failed miserably in this case.

Officers aren't legally obliged to handcuff anyone, you're conflating police procedure with the law.
Of course not, it is procedure. I'm talking about the liability aspect to the job of policing not just the criminal law requirements.

minx

Because you just fucking shot them. Is it really that hard to understand?

So everyone who is ever shot dies?

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/...n=display_arch&article_id=2665&issue_id=52012

Handcuff all downed suspects. Some officers might feel that it is not nice to handcuff suspects that have been shot, and others might believe that it is unnecessary to cuff all suspects because some are “obviously” dead. Counted among the suspects shot during incidents that officers reported during the VALOR interviews were some who appeared to be dead—for example, from multiple rifle rounds to the head—but who were still alive. As noted in the introduction, some human beings have a remarkable capacity to survive gunshot wounds. Fortunately, none of the thoughtdead offenders managed to injure any officers interviewed, but the fact that they were still alive meant that they maintained the capacity to do so. The capacity of downed suspects is hindered substantially when they are cuffed. No matter how severely injured they might be, therefore, all downed suspects should be handcuffed.

Seems the safest way to ask for police aid is to be white, wearing minimal clothing so nothing ca be mistaken for a gun/sword/nuclear warhead, and then lie face down on the ground witb arms spread so as to avoid eye contact and show that you arent trying to pull a weapon from inside your body. This way your chances of being shot by police are less than 5% and ylu will likely only be tased and cuffed before they go through the mentally demanding process of determining what crime you must have been committing. Hopefully during this process they discover why you needed their assistance in the first place.

minx

Hah, that's rich.

i_see_what_you_did_there_by_bdog375-d51sz7w.jpg

commedieu

Banned
I mean honestly. This whole month has just been full of tragedy followed swiftly by assholes putting their fingers in their ears so they don't have to listen anyway so even with the energy to say anything, the cycle would continue.

Yep.

1. Gigantic Tragedy against blacks.
2. Defense force on why its technically ok to happen, because of reasons and technicalities, all the while also saying "sure, yea, its bad, sure sure, but its procedure so, no big deal really. Its the law."

I just can't wait until police abuse is tired of my people and are killing the rest of the nation in the identical way they are killing unarmed blacks. Thats the only time change will happen. No one gives a shit about black people dying here. Plenty of rationalizations on why its always ok. Always, like fucking clock work. Its not just going to stop with us. Its a mindset.

minx

You know what, I'm sorry, I'm acting ridiculous. I know I don't agree with you on a lot of issues in relation to subjects like this, but I feel as though we are just going back and forth at each other in every thread about police violence/brutality/oppression/etc. and I shouldn't be engaging or provoking that. I'm sorry, I will try to be more considerate and conscious of that in the future.

Hey man its all good I wouldn't say you are reacting ridiculous you just have very strong feeling on these subjects and it can be hard for you and myself to respond reasonably at times. Not everyone is going to agree on many things. I try to look at things from both sides and feel that I am usually reasonable but it can be difficult when feeling attacked constantly. I can see where you and others are coming from and I try to let you see where I am coming from on these topics.

Shiggy

Why the hell do they put on handcuffs instead of doing first aid?

Do US policemen get a bonus for shooting people?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Why the hell do they put on handcuffs instead of doing first aid?

Do US policemen get a bonus for shooting people?

Because he is still a "threat". Besides, if JLC is right about cops not knowing basic CPR, I'm not sure what aid they would provide to a man who was shot in the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom