• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manhunt 2 Rated Adults Only by ESRB

Drensch

Rockstar: Open up an online store and release an Unrated (AO) Special Edition version.

I'd pay $100+ for it.

Do it.

Me too, as long as it comes with this.

pikadosm.jpg

I don't really understand why the hell the ESRB has an AO rating. Furthermore, I don't see why Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft won't allow AO rated games on their systems. Why not just let the ratings system work like it's supposed to and only sell the game to people 18-years and older? If the point of a ratings system is to provide information about the content of the game to consumers, but then the companies outright ban games with those ratings from their system, I think it calls the whole legitimacy of the ESRB in to question.

Or maybe I'm looking at the AO rating in the wrong way. I was thinking that AO would be equivalent to an R rating by the MPAA , but after checking out the ESRB's website and seeing all the various ratings I guess it goes more like:

C, E, E10 == PG

T == PG-13

M == R

AO == NC-17 (formerly X)

I just think it's a little strange to have a rating like AO which ultimately boils down to (like others have said) a statement of censorship.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
RevenantKioku said:
It's not BS. Because it is their product. Don't like, don't buy. You people won't, though. You won't even complain directly to the companies. You'll just continue playing armchair analysis on GAF.

Or we could make an internet petition.

probably old as shit but anyone noticed that Amazon has now changed the ship date from July to Sept?!

.....it was still July when I preordered it yesterday!

JoeMartin

I would love to see them keep it at AO.

I'd put a pretty big bet on them never intending to ship it AO to begin with though.

1. Jack Thompson started the media train for MH2 being uber violent. Interest++
2. Make it so and get it an AO rating and get a ****LOAD of worldwide press for it being hardcore violent. Interest for the game skyrockets.
3. Quietly drop the rating to M and put it on store shelves.
4. Sell millions.
5. Profit.

Quazar

RevenantKioku said:
It's not BS. Because it is their product. Don't like, don't buy. You people won't, though. You won't even complain directly to the companies. You'll just continue playing armchair analysis on GAF.

Oh it's Sony's and Nintendos product. K.

EDIT: The companies dont care what you have to say. They decide for you. Thats exactly the problem!

Krowley

titiklabingapat said:
This is getting lame. Nintendo, allow the uncensored version, you ****ers! This is your chance!!

Even if they allowed it, rockstar would still censor the game because it can't get on enough store shelves with an AO. They spent too much money on this game to let it be restricted from big retailers.

An AO is the equivelant to an NC17 or an X rating in the movies... If you make something like that, it has to be low budget because you're not going to get a big return.. They won't show it enough theaters, so you have to make an unrated straight to video version.. The gaming equivelant is to release a budget PC title.

Kafel

Banned
o_O'

You guys are sick.

I think I can understand that sometimes we should go against the censorship but there R* simply went too far.

titiklabingapat said:
This is getting lame. Nintendo, allow the uncensored version, you ****ers! This is your chance!!

Yeah, finally their chance to get back into no.1 in the console race past Sony! Errr ... wait. :lol

Lets face it, AO or M-rated, the Wii version will likely be the most controversial by a country mile anyway. I mean how was that "decapitation rape" even supposed to work ... you thrust your Wiimote back and forth as your character ... uh, well you get the idea. Pretty ****ing disturbing.

Kafel said:
o_O'

You guys are sick.

I think I can understand that sometimes we should go against the censorship but there R* simply went too far.

I know what you mean. I'm all for free speech and free expression but only when it's stuff that I agree with or find acceptable.

Krowley

soundwave05 said:
Yeah, finally their chance to get back into no.1 in the console race past Sony! Errr ... wait. :lol

Lets face it, AO or M-rated, the Wii version will likely be the most controversial by a country mile anyway. I mean how was that "decapitation rape" even supposed to work ... you thrust your Wiimote back and forth as your character ... uh, well you get the idea. Pretty ****ing disturbing.

Assuming that's true (which apparently it still hasn't been sourced) That's the definition of AO content. If they're going to have such a rating, that's the kind of game that should recieve it and it's definitly a bit too sick for my tastes so i would blame rockstar for going over the line, not the ersb or nintendo or sony.

If they want to make stuff like that, they should release PC download titles with low budgets and they know this.. That's why if it's true, they did it on purpose to generate hype and they knew it would all get cut out.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Quazar said:
Oh it's Sony's and Nintendos product. K.
PS3 and Wii are their products, yes? Therefore they have say about things, yes? This isn't very hard. It isn't silly or "BS" like you naively want to believe.
EDIT: The companies dont care what you have to say. They decide for you. Thats exactly the problem!
I see no problem here. If Rockstar really has a vision of this, they will get it out somehow and somewhere. If not, they will cave to money, as many before them.
You just want everything conveniently your way.

soundwave05 said:
The backlash/media attention for this game will probably be monsterous. Again, releasing this during election season of all times? Wow.
Ehh, it's not even a midterm year. Of all the possible times to release a game, this is farther than average away from major elections.

Quazar said:
Yea I'm new to gaming.
I'm not
I'm just shocked you people are actually defending this shit. I dont care if it pleases someone who wants the sheeps money my friend. And after reading several previews I dont see how it couldn't get an AO rating. I'm shocked everytime this happens I see people just ride along.
It's not a matter of defending anything. It's more that we accept the fact that Sony and Nintendo won't allow the game to be released on their respective platforms with an AO rating so changes are required. This is a business and in the end, it's not worth getting all pissy over. That is unless you want Rockstar to eat the millions of dollars they've invested in the development just to prove a point to make you happy. Bottomline Manhunt cannot exist with any rating higher than M so maybe some people should grasp that concept and get over it. Again, it's not worth getting all pissed off over.

Krowley said:
Even if they allowed it, rockstar would still censor the game because it can't get on enough store shelves with an AO. They spent too much money on this game to let it be restricted from big retailers.

An AO is the equivelant to an NC17 or an X rating in the movies... If you make something like that, it has to be low budget because you're not going to get a big return.. They won't show it enough theaters, so you have to make an unrated straight to video version.. The gaming equivelant is to release a budget PC title.

So? R* could just release the AO and M rating together. Why outright ban the other rating altogether. I reckon the AO rating will sell alot more than the M one.

I know the other two bans them too and I'm a big Wii fan but this is seriously lame.

Krowley said:
Assuming that's true (which apparently it still hasn't been sourced) That's the definition of AO content. If they're going to have such a rating, that's the kind of game that should recieve it and it's definitly a bit too sick for my tastes so i would blame rockstar for going over the line, not the ersb or nintendo or sony.

Umm, they're banning it. And I want it. Nintendo and ESRB are making it impossible for me to get it the way it was intended to be so I'll place the blame on them, not Rockstar.
RevenantKioku said:

What's the point of being a consumer then?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Ehh, it's not even a midterm year. Of all the possible times to release a game, this is farther than average away from major elections.

That's not going to stop any oppurtunistic politican or parents groups or Nancy Grace etc. from going AWOL on this.

Although honestly, they might in this specific case have a point. Some of the content being described here (again not sure if it's accurate) and using some imagination for Wiimote gestures ... it makes GTA look downright wholesome by comparision.

ksamedi

So what does this AO rating have to do with Europe. Does it mean that Nintendo wont licence the game in any country if its rated AO in the US?

Quazar

RevenantKioku said:
PS3 and Wii are their products, yes? Therefore they have say about things, yes? This isn't very hard. It isn't silly or "BS" like you naively want to believe.

I see no problem here. If Rockstar really has a vision of this, they will get it out somehow and somewhere. If not, they will cave to money, as many before them.

No smart one I want to make my own choice on whether to buy the game based on the content with w/e rating it gets, not have some retarded corporation playing the role of my parents. And it is BS. Keep following the herd. Might as well just let the govt get in on my buying decisions according to your logic. Oh wait..

Quazar

Mr_Furious said:
It's not a matter of defending anything. It's more that we accept the fact that Sony and Nintendo won't allow the game to be released on their respective platforms with an AO rating so changes are required. This is a business and in the end, it's not worth getting all pissy over. That is unless you want Rockstar to eat the millions of dollars they've invested in the development just to prove a point to make you happy. Bottomline Manhunt cannot exist with any rating higher than M so maybe some people should grasp that concept and get over it. Again, it's not worth getting all pissed off over.

So settle down. Ok here we go: Everyone accept w/e a corporation feeds you. Dont discuss your opinion on a forum board instead post something that goes along with what you dont think is right.

Docpan

I see only one option here. Delay the game, remove all of the questionable content for console version to get it to an M rating, then later on release the "UNCUT VERSION" for PCs.

It's a brilliant idea.

Quazar

Docpan said:
I see only one option here. Delay the game, remove all of the questionable content for console version to get it to an M rating, then later on release the "UNCUT VERSION" for PCs.

It's a brilliant idea.

The best idea, indeed.

Docpan

Quazar said:
The best idea, indeed.

You know they did that for Leisure Suit Lary: Magna Cum Laude right? The console versions were edited to get an M, then they released the uncut version for PCs which had full frontal nudity and even graphic sex depictions.

Krowley

Quazar said:
No smart one I want to make my own choice on whether to buy the game based on the content with w/e rating it gets, not have some retarded corporation playing the role of my parents. And it is BS. Keep following the herd. Might as well just let the govt get in on my buying decisions according to your logic. Oh wait..

This is the equivelant to a theater chain saying that they won't play NC17 movies. Consoles are the gaming equivelant to movie theaters. They are private company's and they have the right to decide what they want to certify. Their right to restrict content on their platform is just as important as our right to watch what we want. Removing either one would be an unfair restriction.

Mr.City

ksamedi said:
Whats the difference between a 17 year old and an 18 year old again?

The 18 year old can handle extremely explict scenes of violence and sex. The 17 year old can only handle explicit forms of violences and sex. Get it?

Threi

notag
Mr.City said:
The 18 year old can handle extremely explict scenes of violence and sex. The 17 year old can only handle explicit forms of violences and sex. Get it?

Exactly. The moment i turned 18 while playing GTA i was like "wow this shit is really kiddy"

USD

ksamedi said:
Whats the difference between a 17 year old and an 18 year old again?
Mature is still a parental caution, the same as a movie being rated-R movies. It's intended for mature audiences, and anyone underage should not be able to purchase the game, but ultimately it would be up to the parents whether they let the child play or not. Adult Only is just like it reads, in that absolutely no one under the age of 18 should ever get there hands on a copy or play the game.

Quazar

Krowley said:
This is the equivelant to a theater chain saying that they won't play NC17 movies. Consoles are the gaming equivelant to movie theaters. They are private company's and they have the right to decide what they want to certify. Their right to restrict content on their platform is just as important as our right to watch what we want. Removing either one would be an unfair restriction.

I see what you're saying. But the comparison falls short for several reasons. They aren't the same would be the first one.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Quazar said:
Wow. Just...wow.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Quazar said:
I see what you're saying. But the comparison falls short for several reasons. They aren't the same would be the first one.

Yea, they aren't the same. Console makers have the right to decide what is released on their system because they make the damn thing. It's their product and their brand to protect.

Quazar

ManaByte said:
Yea, they aren't the same. Console makers have the right to decide what is released on their system because they make the damn thing. It's their product and their brand to protect.

Protect against what exactly? The already carded person buying the game? The possibility Jack might try and make a case with the game?

RevenantKioku

Quazar said:
Protect against what exactly? The already carded person buying the game? The possibility Jack might try and make a case with the game?
Remember the saying "There's no such thing as bad publicity"? People who say that are stupid.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Quazar said:

The media doing first-segment nightly news stories about how the Wii or PlayStation 2 has a Adults-Only videogame?

Believe it or not, but games are still considered for kids by the majority of the population on this planet.

Quazar

ManaByte said:
The media doing first-segment nightly news stories about how the Wii or PlayStation 2 has a Adults-Only videogame?

Believe it or not, but games are still considered for kids by the majority of the population on this planet.

And the majority who are going to buy Manhunt originally are not KIDS in the first place.(With or without AO rating) Downgrading the designers original vision of the game to suit, nothing, doesn't add up to me. Let the media do whatt hey do. In fact I'd agree to the media making the game sell more, just for it.

titiklabingapat said:
It's true though. It's just a matter of handling the extreme ones to your benefit.
No, it's not true. There is definitely such thing as "bad publicity". I hate that ****ing saying, cuz people belt it out like it's a truism. You can benefit from negative publicity, yes, but you can also lose by it, and there is some publicity so bad that you cannot win from it.

Particularly if your bad publicity entails a presidential candidate or governing body taking your ball and going home.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Quazar said:
And the majority who are going to buy Manhunt originally are not KIDS in the first place.(With or without AO rating) Downgrading the designers original vision of the game to suit, nothing, doesn't add up to me. Let the media do whatt hey do. In fact I'd agree to the media making the game sell more, just for it.

If Manhunt 2 were released AO on the Wii and PS2 it would result in a GOVERNMENT RUN OVERSIGHT GROUP mandating what can and cannot be done in games. Do you REALLY want that to happen? Because your posts seem like you do. Nintendo and Sony are thinking of not just their interests, but also the industry as a whole as they know full well what the **** would happen if they licensed an AO title and they do NOT want the industry to go that way.

Firewire said:
So Nintendo & Sony have officially dropped the game now, if it receives AO listing.
Which only leaves MS & PC, would MS take this game? I can see Jack Thompson crusading against Rockstar & MS, and does MS need a bad rep with parents (mothers) going into the holiday season?

Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo will not allow Adults Only rated content on their platforms. Period.

Sony won't even allow certain things in an M-rated context.

With a AO-rated PC version there's also the additional problem of retailers not willing to carry the game, so even that isn't neccessarily a green light.

Top Bottom