• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manhunt 2 Rated Adults Only by ESRB

They'll probably get an M rating if they do some slightly different camerawork on the executions. That or give the ESRB a very convincing argument.

besada

Banned
If they leave it AO, this should be an interesting test. Rockstar's a big publisher, and if they can't make money on an AO game, it seems unlikely other publishers can. Of course, I'm betting they alter the game to get it down to M.

SpeedySwaf said:
They'll probably get an M rating if they do some slightly different camerawork on the executions. That or give the ESRB a very convincing argument.

I suspect it has more to do with the motions with the wiimote, murder simulator and such

newsguy

Oh snap! Part 1 was sickening, the main character must
take a dump in the hole of a decapitated guy
to get this kind of rating.

Jackson

this just means the game will delayed a bit as T2 haggles with the ESRB, ESRB will give a list of offenses that push it over M rating, T2 will fix some, negotiate others and then the game will get it's M rating...

T2 wants to be bought out in a year... trying to sell AO games when no major retailer will pick it up isnt going to help that... they'll crumble and submit very fast

therapist

SpeedySwaf said:

Thats what im scared of , i hope they dont make it less violent to get an M rating.
Weak.

Matt

ElectricBlue187 said:
I suspect it has more to do with the motions with the wiimote, murder simulator and such
I doubt it, as the game is on PS2 as well.

Anyway, of course the it will be edited, as what retailer will carry an AO game? Although I think the idea of having an uncut version (probably only available online) might be a cool one. I doubt they would do that either, though.

G4life98

this just has the stink of the esrb bending over to political pressure, before it even happens.

of course tt will resubmit to get the M, but this is a bad turn of events.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
While Take-Two doesn't agree with the idea of an AO-rated Manhunt 2, one parent watchdog group believes it's only appropriate. Earlier today, Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood demanded that the ESRB give Manhunt 2 an AO rating, saying that "harmful effects of ultra-violent video games on children will be magnified by playing them on the interactive Nintendo Wii system."

It's the Wii's fault it got an AO.

Matt

TSA said:
Nintendo doesn't allow A/O games. They will have to change it or there will be no Manhunt 2 on Wii.
Is that true? I've never read it in any of Nintendo's rating materials (but I easily could have missed it or forget).

"harmful effects of ultra-violent video games on children will be magnified by playing them on the interactive Nintendo Wii system."

i suspected that was the reasoning. of course kids shouldn't be playing M rated games but ya everyone knows that

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Pretty much all Major game retailers (TRU, Walmart, Taget, ect) enforce a no sale on anything AO. No way in hell they will leave it.

Almost all of those retailers also didn't sell BMXXX when it came out even when that was an M rated game.

I don't know why the market is so against AO-rated games, the age difference between that and an M-rated game is just one year. Sell it as-is, **** censorship and **** parents who are stupid enough to buy it for their 12-year-olds.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I'll buy an AO version for the Wii :D

I really wish they'd let it through, It would certainly be interesting to see how it performs.

Awntawn

MATURE
Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.
ADULTS ONLY
Titles rated AO (Adults Only) have content that should only be played by persons 18 years and older. Titles in this category may include prolonged scenes of intense violence and/or graphic sexual content and nudity.
is it really necessary to have two different ratings for a 1 year age difference?

it's like M is 17+ (winkwinknotreallylol) and AO is the exact same thing except okwe'reseriousthistime... i mean wtf is the point >.>

Kifimbo

_leech_ said:
I don't know why the market is so against AO-rated games, the age difference between that and an M-rated game is just one year. Sell it as-is, **** censorship and **** parents who are stupid enough to buy it for their 12-year-olds.

QFT.

Matt said:
Is that true? I've never read it in any of Nintendo's rating materials (but I easily could have missed it or forget).

I'm not sure they even have a policy on it.. there haven't even been that many M games on a Nintendo platform until now

Matt

Awntawn said:
is it really necessary to have two different ratings for a 1 year age difference?

it's like M is 17+ (winkwinknotreallylol) and AO is the exact same thing except okwe'reseriousthistime... i mean wtf is the point >.>
It's the same difference between the R and the NC-17 ratings.

Snaku

Banned
Awntawn said:

See: R & NC-17.

Awntawn said:

most content rating systems have one rating that's like "ok you've gone too far, everyone is blackballing this movie/game/album/whatever" that's AO for the ESRB

Kingpen

I agree with the others in the thread... I doubt the Wii version will ever see an AO rating on it. This game ships next month as well.

Awntawn

Matt said:
It's the same difference between the R and the NC-17 ratings.

i feel these are pretty retarded as well ;o

given i've never seen an NC-17 movie on shelves or in theaters anywhere before >.>

Rockstar has egg on their face. I can't stand this idea of being controversal just because, which is what they're doing here.

If you didn't think there'd be a huge backlash over this game you're not paying attention. And imo it hasn't even started

Jackson

_leech_ said:

and what about the 12yo kid who's parents were vigilint and didn't buy it, but then he goes over to the other 12yo kid's house who's parents are lazy and plays it there?

I bet all the stores that would refuse to sell this game because it is AO are the same stores that sell pregnancy tests and baby clothing. The tacit exaltation of sex over violence in this country is sickening. A kid can get condoms handed to him by the dozens at some schools, but pretend to murder someone in a videogame? Heaven forbid!

Matt

Awntawn said:

given i've never seen an NC-17 movie on shelves or in theaters anywhere before >.>
That's because if a movie is going to be rated NC-17, the producers generally choose to release it without a rating. Ironically, more theaters and retailers will carry it that way.

Jackson

Awntawn said:

Showgirls?

NC-17 + movies dont come out because they don't make money... and making money is what it's all about... R rated movies and M rated games make money

GQman2121

Banned
So they'll make the change and thet will be that.

If the ESRB was how ever influenced by this group then that's bull shit, and someone needs to call them out on it. If they can get attention now and get away with it then what's stopping them from doing it to future games?

Top Bottom