• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manhunt 2 Rated Adults Only by ESRB

Firestorm

Son of Godzilla said:
I bet all the stores that would refuse to sell this game because it is AO are the same stores that sell pregnancy tests and baby clothing. The tacit exaltation of sex over violence in this country is sickening. A kid can get condoms handed to him by the dozens at some schools, but pretend to murder someone in a videogame? Heaven forbid!

They want kids to make love, not war.

Rockstar may have intended this. I mean the game probably isn't going to sell a ton in the first place - so they just take this game and create a huge amount of buzz by making it AO and pushing the limits. Chances are its probably not even deserving of this rating, and even if it was, Hostel and shit on DVD is probably sold to 12 year olds at stores. Movies and videogames have a ridiculous double standard.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I hate that there is a rating that is more or less ban-level. Agreeing to publish a AO game is just the same as agreeing to getting your game banned. :(

leroy hacker said:
Is there proof that you didn't just make this up?

My network here at work is banned from Nintendo's server, both IP and DNS, so I need somebody to go to Nintendo.com -> Corporate or "Parents" at the bottom, and search for RATINGS information. I am not making this up, it's ap age with the ratings emblems, and it shows A/O, and it says "Nintendo doesn't license or make games for this rating" or something.

I also e-mailed them to double check. Unless they JUST changed it recently, it's been accurate since the ESRB came into formation.

Also, as pointed out, I doubt any mainstream stores will sell it.

Jackson said:
and what about the 12yo kid who's parents were vigilint and didn't buy it, but then he goes over to the other 12yo kid's house who's parents are lazy and plays it there?

You make sure your kid's friends aren't like that or hope that you thought your kids well enough to understand what is acceptable and what isn't.

Somnid

From what I've read it sounds perfectly resonable to give this an AO. It's not censorship, the ESRB is just doing their job and if this sells like crap because of it then so be it, they certainly have the right to try.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
yoopoo said:
What a disaster of a game. It'll be the worst selling hyped game ever.
Shenmue DC and Shenmue 2 XBOX say "Hi!"

Awntawn

Matt said:
That's because if a movie is going to be rated NC-17, the producers generally choose to release it without a rating. Ironically, more theaters and retailers will carry it that way.
so essentially it's G, PG, PG-13, R, and unrated? ;o i guess it technically means the same thing, but unrated gives the message of "so bad it's off the charts," rather than NC-17's saying "R, only seriously."

it guess it's just the way they labelled the ratings makes no sense and would probably be confusing to someone who isn't familiar with the rating system. technically, mature should be the "adults only" and AO should be "extremely offensive due to its content and anyone with a soul and a set of morals should stay away" or something 3;

Hunahan

Banned
Awntawn said:
is it really necessary to have two different ratings for a 1 year age difference?

it's like M is 17+ (winkwinknotreallylol) and AO is the exact same thing except okwe'reseriousthistime... i mean wtf is the point >.>
Right there is the problem with the ESRB. "M" Rated is an absolute joke and everyone knows it.

You see the industry kick, bite, claw, and cry everytime someone tries to give M-Ratings any sort of teeth (such as penalties against retailers who sell them to minors) precisely because they know that a significant portion of the audience for these games is underage.

It's Joe Camel all over again.

So the AO rating, as I see it, is nothing more than a way for the industry to stop the whole house of cards from tumbling down. It's the invisible line in the sand which they know, if crossed, would light the match that would explode the bullshit and lies of a completely farsical ratings system that's as open and exploitable as they can possibly manage to keep it.

It's a way of seperating out the content that is so graphic, so extreme, that no one could possibly be in favor of allowing children access to, and as such, it gets austracized and punished to set an example for others that may follow.

Because if a game like Manhunt 2 was unleashed into the current M-Rated environment, children across the country would be playing it within days, and suddenly everyone would realize exactly how hypocritical this entire industry's feeble attempts at self-regulation have become. The ESRB would be doing nothing more than signing it's own extinction.

Take2/Rockstar ****ed up, IMO. They're getting the game refused certification/banned/given a blacklist rating in multiple territories - and not because it's on the Wii, as the PS2 version is getting the same treatment.

They pushed too damn far in terms of acceptable content & now they're going to get hit hard. Unless this is a very elaborate - and stupid - ploy for cheap publicity and they have a toned-down version of the game ready to go, they have spent a lot of money and time on a game they may not see any significant return on, at least not without major changes/cuts.

Snaku

Banned
ManaByte said:
Apparently Nintendo doesn't restrict, period (anymore).

Yeah, if I remember correctly, BMX XXX was uncensored on GCN, as was Killer 7 (moaning during the off screen sex scene was edited from the PS2 release).

PnCIa

The whole american retail system is still laughably prude. Germany might ban many violent games but things with a rating of some kind get sold at least.

I mixed up the top two thread titles and read this as "Megaman 2 Rated Adults Only by ESRB."

Thought maybe they were really cracking down on the Virtual Console.

fernoca

TSA said:
My network here at work is banned from Nintendo's server, both IP and DNS, so I need somebody to go to Nintendo.com -> Corporate or "Parents" at the bottom, and search for RATINGS information. I am not making this up, it's ap age with the ratings emblems, and it shows A/O, and it says "Nintendo doesn't license or make games for this rating" or something.

I also e-mailed them to double check. Unless they JUST changed it recently, it's been accurate since the ESRB came into formation.

Also, as pointed out, I doubt any mainstream stores will sell it.

Nintendo.com said:
*Please note that Nintendo does not sell or license games that carry the ESRB rating "AO" (Adults Only).

Though, we have to remember that there hasn't been AO games on consoles..as far as I remember, so technically they don't sell them..because there aren't any.

Plus Nintendo was the only one that allowed the uncensored version of BMX XXX..
And they also published Conker's Bad Fur Day (the Xbox version was censored).

GQman2121

Banned
Jackson said:
and what about the 12yo kid who's parents were vigilint and didn't buy it, but then he goes over to the other 12yo kid's house who's parents are lazy and plays it there?

That's still their problem. Not mine or yours. If they don't want their kid around M or A rated games, then they need to know who their kids are spending time with.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
This rating is more than justified. Even though I disagree with the ridiculous 1-year gap between M and AO.

alr1ghtstart said:
zoh oh
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/buyers_guide.jsp

*Please note that Nintendo does not sell or license games that carry the ESRB rating "AO" (Adults Only).

Thank you - I knew I wasn't imagining this. So as I said, Nintendo will either break it's "family-friendly" policy which has been a staple (which they will not do for this game, sorry Take-Two), or they will strong-arm Take-Two into altering the game, along with everyone else, which is going to happen.

Expect this to be wrapped up by month's end unless Take-Two really wants to drive itself further into financial oblivion.

TSA said:

Wow. My apologies, I just went to the website and you're totally right.

Somnid

Well if anything gets Nintendo to change their policy it would probably be this. This will make for a good debate about the rating system, it's not longer about ESRB incompetence but how a mainstream game with an AO can progress.

fernoca

Also keep in mind..
That Nintendo knew this all along..

It wasn't like the devs were making the game and never showing it to Nintendo...heck, they have spent a little more extra time and effort with the Wii version.

Kiljaro

The Punisher was originally rated AO, the developer censored it, it got re-rated M. The same thing will happen with this game. People are and will make this ESRB shit a big deal, when it really isn't, at all.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Snaku said:
Yeah, if I remember correctly, BMX XXX was uncensored on GCN, as was Killer 7 (moaning during the off screen sex scene was edited from the PS2 release).

Damn, far cry from the Nintendo of old.

ManaByte

Gold Member
HydrantC12 said:
Well in short, it looks like if Rockstar doesn't address it, Nintendo ain't going to carry it. I wonder if it will be delayed because of this.

No console maker allows AO games. So either they change the game or it only comes out on PC.

AO (Adults Only) - should only be played by persons 18 years and older. Titles in this category may include prolonged scenes of intense violence and/or graphic sexual content and nudity.*
We just don't see AO games because retailers don't carry them. That could give the illusion of companies restricting them, but it's mostly a sales issue. Same reason studios cut apart movies that initially get NC-17 movies.

I wonder if they should try releasing it as AO? It certainly would get a lot of hype. Would EBgames carry it?

Which outlets beside Wal*Mart would refuse to carry it? Best Buy? Circuit City? Target?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Oneself said:
Wow, that probably means a delay... at the very least for the Wii version.:lol

Stop that now. NONE of the console makers license AO games. It isn't just Nintendo. The "LOL NINTENDO IS TEH KIDDIE" went out of the trolling style guide in 2000.

That said, Nintendo won't restrict content from a M game.

Cosmonaut X said:
Take2/Rockstar ****ed up, IMO. They're getting the game refused certification/banned/given a blacklist rating in multiple territories - and not because it's on the Wii, as the PS2 version is getting the same treatment.

No they aren't, they'll just remove enough content to get it down to an M rating. They know just like all of us that they can't get away with releasing a game with that type of rating because alot of retail chains won't carry it.

Defcon

Banned
Nothing but a publicity stunt. Take 2 know the game will receive an AO rating, the media will hype it, they get Rockstar to make the appropriate changes for a M rating and then people buy it to see what the fuss is all about.

The game will be absolute crap.

speculawyer said:
I wonder if they should try releasing it as AO? It certainly would get a lot of hype. Would EBgames carry it?

Which outlets beside Wal*Mart would refuse to carry it? Best Buy? Circuit City? Target?
All of them?

Conspiracy theory: I wonder if they created two games: a normal game and an extra-super violent version. Then they have the super-violent one reviewed and banned . . . . hype galore. Then they hand over the normal version to get an 'M' rating.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
speculawyer said:
Conspiracy theory: I wonder if they created two games: a normal game and an extra-super violent version. Then they have the super-violent one reviewed and banned . . . . hype galore. Then they hand over the normal version to get an 'M' rating.

I actually wouldn't be too surprised. How hard is it to edit content from the game if they don't have a 2nd, less explicit version ready? I guess we'll find out if they don't delay the game.

Scum

speculawyer said:
Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Yet another controversy over a Take2/Rockstar game. :p

speculawyer said:

Or maybe the super violent version's code will be hidden on the M rated version :shhh

I don't really care much for the content of this game, but I really believe there should be a viable Adults Only rating and there needs to be a game that proves a AO game is still economically viable. This way developers actually have an option to leave their games untouched if they so choose.

I don't really care about Manhunt 2, but if it carries through on the AO rating, I will buy it out of principle.

This is all for headlines. The game wouldn't make much of a splash if it just came out as an M game. So either they're releasing it as an AO game hoping that places like Best Buy will carry it, or they're making it AO first so they can get some exposure about how violent it is, then they're toning it down to an M rating.

Actually yeah, that's similar to what Speculawyer said.

SolidSnakex said:
No they aren't, they'll just remove enough content to get it down to an M rating. They know just like all of us that they can't get away with releasing a game with that type of rating because alot of retail chains won't carry it.

Just as an FYI, the BBFC - the British rating board - have refused it certification, but with no recommendations for cuts. This basically seems to mean that they believe there are no cuts that could be made to the game in its current state that would enable them to grant it a certificate. Perhaps the ESRB will be more lenient, but it does seem that the game may have stepped far over the line and Punisher-style trims may not be enough here.

Wait & see, I suppose - and of course, as suggested upthread there may be an alt. version of the game ready to go. It would be in line with Rockstar/Take2's stupid "baiting for publicity" approach, after all.

fernoca

Also, in most cases the ESRB doesn't play games..fully..

They rate games in most cases based on trailers created by the devs or someone else playing them for a few minutes/hours..

That was the whole debate about the censored Ocarina of Time with the changed music and the green blood...at the end..

Considering that they have been more "strict" with the ratings, that's probably why the game received an AO rating..probably the game in general is as violent as the first one, but they are afraid now to rate it the same..because it may disturb ..the kids...our future!!! :D

Defcon said:
Nothing but a publicity stunt. Take 2 know the game will receive an AO rating, the media will hype it, they get Rockstar to make the appropriate changes for a M rating and then people buy it to see what the fuss is all about.

The game will be absolute crap.
Actually the game has been getting rave reviews on the Wii, at the very least for its realism. Beyond that, is anyone's guess.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Jiguryo said:
This rating is more than justified. Even though I disagree with the ridiculous 1-year gap between M and AO.

I was gonna say that. I've been hoping this game was gonna get rated appropriately.

Top Bottom