• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manhunt 2 Rated Adults Only by ESRB

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So, currently Manhunt 2 is banned in the UK, Ireland, and the Wii version will not even get sold at all in the US due to NOAs anti AO policy, methinks Rockstar may have a problem.

Note: TT/Rockstar will have to edit the Wii version now, there is no way it will be able to keep the game as it is, the main markets for the game have now rejected it in its current form, it will happen, and it will get released, but I'm not sure if this "free publicity" is going to help long term.

besada

Banned
ManaByte said:
Stop that now. NONE of the console makers license AO games. It isn't just Nintendo. The "LOL NINTENDO IS TEH KIDDIE" went out of the trolling style guide in 2000.

That said, Nintendo won't restrict content from a M game.

Did Sony or Microsoft pull their licensing from GTA:SA when it was rated AO? It's the only console game listed at the ESRB as AO, by the way. I had this argument just the other day with someone on the Fallout thread who thought an AO console game would sell, so I just happened to have looked through the list. Did you know the CDI had a Joy of Sex release under the ESRB?

Didn't Punisher just change it so that the context-based kills were shown in black and white? I don't want Billy seeing that man put that other man in a wood chipper in colour, but as long as it's black and white, go for it!

I know this game definitely won't remain AO, even if it means a delay, but if it did, what retailers would actually sell it? Would it have to be some niche, online-only thing or would regular stores have some mechanism in place to sell it, e.g. keeping it out of public display or some such nonsense?

i'd love to see two versions of the game on shelves, similar to how a lot of movies get an R rated and Unrated release on DVD.

as always anything like this brings to mind the bizarre situation where NC-17 is a kiss of death, but unrated is a marketable plus.

presumably Rockstar *could* sell an unrated version (legally) if nintendo would license such a thing.

i mean, they're probably just going to cut it enough to get an M rating, but i'd love to see rockstar have some conviction for once, and support the game they made rather than just cowtowing to the censors.

Evlar

Banned
Rorschach said:
I guess developing wii versions of your games really does hinder the games. The biggest retailers won't carry an AO game.
Yes. Developing on Wii prevents you from issuing AO games.

WHAT A SHOCK. This will undoubtedly have a chilling effect toward Wii on all the other companies currently developing AO games for console.

Also, between this and Hot Coffee, I'm fairly confident that Take Two/Rockstar just likes the controversy. It moves units and solidifies their reputation.

fernoca

besada said:
Did Sony or Microsoft pull their licensing from GTA:SA when it was rated AO? It's the only console game listed at the ESRB as AO, by the way. I had this argument just the other day with someone on the Fallout thread who thought an AO console game would sell, so I just happened to have looked through the list. Did you know the CDI had a Joy of Sex release under the ESRB?

The "AO" version of GTA was removed from stores and re-released without the "Hot Coffee"...

Another example is Oblivion..
Were i twas released as T game, they later found some stuff in it..and ordered stores to slap an M sticker on it..whike 2K Games re-released the game with the M rating on the box.

Rorschach said:
I guess developing wii versions of your games really does hinder the games. The biggest retailers won't carry an AO game.
Both versions got rated AO. Not surprising, given they rate content as opposed to control methods. That blurb earlier in the thread about the special interest group doesn't say they had anything to do with it. That would be like this:

"Today, Konami cancelled Castlevania for the Dreamcast. This cancellation, coming on the heels of urging by the Segata Sanshiro Group Against Shit 3D Castlevanias, means Konami has nothing on their plate for the SEGA Dreamcast."

If I remember correctly, the only store to carry GTA Ao rated was EBGames/Gamestop.

Im sure theyd carry this game. And its not like publishers (INCLUDING Nintendo) have never released an EBGames exclusive.

There have been many retailer exclusive games. (Including Sonic Pinball GBA and Target, and Sneakers with TRU)

fernoca said:
The "AO" version of GTA was removed from stores and re-released without the "Hot Coffee"...

Another example is Oblivion..
Were i twas released as T game, they later found some stuff in it..and ordered stores to slap an M sticker on it..whike 2K Games re-released the game with the M rating on the box.
some retailers still sold the hot coffee included GTA:SA. as they did later for oblivion, AO stickers were provided to the stores that were prepared to still sell the game despite its rating.

if sony pulled the licensing for it, they did it real quietly.

hyp

shame if this doesn't come out on the wii w/ the original concept in mind. i was looking forward to using my wiimote to simulate murder. now that would have been hot. if they have to ditch motion controls to lessen the rating, this game has flipped from a must-buy to a no-buy.

Stitch

Gold Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Didn't Punisher just change it so that the context-based kills were shown in black and white? I don't want Billy seeing that man put that other man in a wood chipper in colour, but as long as it's black and white, go for it!
they changed the camera so you couldn't even see most of the kills. they also had to remove some quickkills and the ability to blow off limbs was toned down.

Scum

Segata Sanshiro said:
Both versions got rated AO. Not surprising, given they rate content as opposed to control methods. That blurb earlier in the thread about the special interest group doesn't say they had anything to do with it. That would be like this:

"Today, Konami cancelled Castlevania for the Dreamcast. This cancellation, coming on the heels of urging by the Segata Sanshiro Group Against Shit 3D Castlevanias, means Konami has nothing on their plate for the SEGA Dreamcast."
:lol :lol

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
part of me is glad, I'm only interested in the game in terms of technical achievement and potential boredom killer sometime, but more importantly I want psycho kids staying away from this game.

I was ok with gta, shoot em ups etc. but I dont wanna see idiot teenagers mimicking strangling someone in a dark alley or slicing their neck or stabbing someone in the eye with a pen - and finding it fun and fasinating and addictive - and acceptable.

hyp said:
shame if this doesn't come out on the wii w/ the original concept in mind. i was looking forward to using my wiimote to simulate murder. now that would have been hot. if they have to ditch motion controls to lessen the rating, this game has flipped from a must-buy to a no-buy.

How many times does someone have to point out that the controls appear to have had nothing to do with this, as the PS2 game has fallen foul of the various ratings organisations as well? The content, not the controls is the problem.

dkeane

They better release this game with an Ao rating, i don't care if it's just online. It's dumb that (most) retailers don't carry games like this, keep it behind the counter if you're afraid of the kids getting ahold of this media.

kaizoku said:
part of me is glad, I'm only interested in the game in terms of technical achievement and potential boredom killer sometime, but more importantly I want psycho kids staying away from this game.

I was ok with gta, shoot em ups etc. but I dont wanna see idiot teenagers mimicking strangling someone in a dark alley or slicing their neck or stabbing someone in the eye with a pen - and finding it fun and fasinating and addictive - and acceptable.
And I don't want to see teenagers dressing up like Transformers and standing in a line-up. One of us is getting our wish, and one of us should not have drowned that puppy. WHICH IS WHICH? STAY TUNED...

I think Nintendo will do whatever Sony does with this game. If Sony Licences it to be sold, so will Nintendo. If Sony licences the game and Nintendo doesn't, well then Nintendo is back to looking like they are kidtendo, kiddie game only nintendo, no violence Nintendo etc. to the gamers.

Evlar

Banned
jamesinclair said:
If I remember correctly, the only store to carry GTA Ao rated was EBGames/Gamestop.

Im sure theyd carry this game. And its not like publishers (INCLUDING Nintendo) have never released an EBGames exclusive.

There have been many retailer exclusive games. (Including Sonic Pinball GBA and Target, and Sneakers with TRU)
Nope, Gamestop and EBGames pulled it.

kaizoku said:

Man, politicians must love you!

hyp said:
"Bad News for Rockstar: Wii-mote Control Prompts Demand That Manhunt 2 Be Adults-Only in North America"

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/06/19/...-groups-demand-that-manhunt-2-be-adults-only/
I swear to God, it's like I don't even exist sometimes.

edit:
Segata Sanshiro said:
That blurb earlier in the thread about the special interest group doesn't say they had anything to do with it. That would be like this:

Their little campaign was about as effective as a rain dance followed by rain. Just because it looked like they had something to do with it, doesn't mean they did, or else the PS2 version would be free and clear. Savvy?

hyp said:
"Bad News for Rockstar: Wii-mote Control Prompts Demand That Manhunt 2 Be Adults-Only in North America"

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/06/19/...-groups-demand-that-manhunt-2-be-adults-only/

...and where in that story does it say that the ESRB slapped the AO rating on for the controls? The CCFC have demanded it and noted the Wii controls, but that's as far as it goes.

I swear to God, it's like I don't even exist sometimes.

Perhaps there's a "sensible comment" filter tucked away in some GAFers' control panels? :)

hyp

Cosmonaut X said:
...and where in that story does it say that the ESRB slapped the AO rating on for the controls? The CCFC have demanded it and noted the Wii controls, but that's as far as it goes.

think what you want... the control method has likely influenced their decision. what's so different about manhunt 1's content that allowed it an "M" rating?

hyp said:
think what you want... the control method has likely influenced their decision. what's so different about manhunt 1's content that allowed it an "M" rating?
apparently manhunt 2 has more extreme content. that was certainly what the BBFC felt.

hyp said:
You voted for Bush, didn't you? And like, I mean the second time.

hyp said:

I'm assuming "the honeypot" for one....

Evlar

Banned
hyp said:
Whatever it is it must be in the PS2 version also.

Matt

plagiarize said:
presumably Rockstar *could* sell an unrated version (legally) if nintendo would license such a thing.
Legality has nothing to do with, the ESRB rating do not carry the force of law. It's a voluntary, industry-supported thing.

hyp said:

Thanks, I will. As noted upthread, both the PS2 and Wii versions were hit with a certification refusal in the UK (and Ireland, I believe) and I expect that all three versions will receive the same rating from the ESRB, whatever that may eventually turn out to be.

Manhunt is also several years old, came out in a different gaming/political climate and for all we know - and certainly the opinions of the multiple bodies rating suggest it - MH2 could be a great deal more violent & explicit.

hyp

Segata Sanshiro said:
You voted for Bush, didn't you? And like, I mean the second time.

hey i get it, you think my opinion sucks. but don't try and insult me with your smart ass comments.

Stitch

Gold Member
isn't there a sexclub level or brothel or something like that in manhunt 2. that's probably why it's AO...

edit: doh, i'm slow..
AgentOtaku said:
I'm assuming "the honeypot" for one....

Matt said:
Legality has nothing to do with, the ESRB rating do not carry the force of law. It's a voluntary, industry-supported thing.
that was my point actually.

there's nothing *legally* stopping Rockstar just putting the game out unrated.

do Best Buy sell NC-17 rated films? i don't believe they do, but they sure as hell sell unrated movies. unrated doesn't have any stigma about it as nc-17 (and AO) does...

so i think it would be interesting to see if putting it out unrated would have the same effect that putting a DVD which is unrated does, or would Best Buy enforce a different standard for games than they do DVDs?

Stitch said:
isn't there a sexclub level or brothel or something like that in manhunt 2. that's probably why it's AO...

Probably. Dude ripping off other dude's nuts with pliers, no problem. Chick rubbing the nutsack of some dude in a pleasant way, uh oh, red alert red alert, crime against morality in progress!

Evlar

Banned
plagiarize said:
that was my point actually.

there's nothing *legally* stopping Rockstar just putting the game out unrated.

do Best Buy sell NC-17 rated films? i don't believe they do, but they sure as hell sell unrated movies. unrated doesn't have any stigma about it as nc-17 (and AO) does...

so i think it would be interesting to see if putting it out unrated would have the same effect that putting a DVD which is unrated does, or would Best Buy enforce a different standard for games than they do DVDs?
They would enforce a different standard, no question. Games are currently under more scrutiny.

Top Bottom