• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2011 Desktop Thread -- Post your source images, dummies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Mechanical Snowman said:
Yeah I saw the post before you edited and to test it out I downloaded some random ones I found on Google; same problem.

Here's an example of the artifacting round the edge:
wthpaf.jpg
This is apparent on every custom orb I select, though the original Win7 orb is smoothly anti aliased as it should be.

Hmm, how do I check my DPI, is that the same as resolution? My monitor is 1080x1920 and that is the resolution I'm on according the the Appearance and Personalisation page.

By the way, thanks for trying to help so far, I really appreciate it.
just type dpi into the windows start search bar, choose adjust text etc. If that picture you showed is of your own taskbar than it is changed from default, which would be what is causing the aliasing problem at the least.

Threi

notag
Ok i changed the DPI on my computer and used the orb changer, that is definitely the issue at hand. You have two solutions:

1) Change the DPI to something like 124%. Fonts will be very, very slightly smaller (I don't even think it's noticeable). To do this, you go to the DPI config I told you about in my previous post, and then click "set custom size (DPI)" on the left. Then you can just drag the ruler one pixel so that it's 124% instead of 125%, click apply, then log off and on again. The orbs should work like normal then.

2) Use the new orb changer i linked in my previous post. Like I said buggy in my experience, but DPI scaling is one of the things it's noted to fix over the old version.

MrBig

Sheppard said:
You sir, have a task manager on the side. is that apart of rainmeter?
Also is the 4 day forecast apart of rainmeter as well?
That's not a taskmanager, they're performance meters, but yes they are part of rainmeter. Looks to be the default Enigma theme too.

e: just a tip to those of you who are on desktops and so don't have the battery meter shown, make sure you've set your power options to high performance. Windows sets it to power saver by default, in some sort of a terrible decision someone had.

Threi said:
Ok i changed the DPI on my computer and used the orb changer, that is definitely the issue at hand. You have two solutions:

1) Change the DPI to something like 124%. Fonts will be very, very slightly smaller (I don't even think it's noticeable). To do this, you go to the DPI config I told you about in my previous post, and then click "set custom size (DPI)" on the left. Then you can just drag the ruler one pixel so that it's 124% instead of 125%, click apply, then log off and on again. The orbs should work like normal then.

2) Use the new orb changer i linked in my previous post. Like I said buggy in my experience, but DPI scaling is one of the things it's noted to fix over the old version.
I love you.

Font size difference is negligible, and the start orb animation and graphics are perfect! Such an obscure solution, I would have never have discovered it.

Now to go and look for some nice orbs.

Edit: while I'm in here, how extensive are Rainmeter's hardware monitoring features? Can you monitor individual cores and GPU / CPU temperature etc?

I Am Now

Banned
MrBig said:
That's not a taskmanager, they're performance meters, but yes they are part of rainmeter. Looks to be the default Enigma theme too.

e: just a tip to those of you who are on desktops and so don't have the battery meter shown, make sure you've set your power options to high performance. Windows sets it to power saver by default, in some sort of a terrible decision someone had.

I think he was talking about the part where it says "Joel's Tasks".

Satchwar said:
Click for bigger image.

Wonder Woman Source + Power Girl Source
I think it's easier to make something "cool" on a background with darker colors. I was going through the thread trying to get something that worked and came to the conclusion that the bright colors make it way too hard. I want to do more but that won't be happening with these wallpapers. :(

Adam Hughes's art is just awesome. :thumbs up

ymmv

Banned
louis89 said:
Bans for anyone who posts a desktop with no source or explanation

Yes. It's fucking ridiculous that even when the topic title and OP explicitly state that YOU NEED TO POST SOURCE IMAGES so many people blindly ignore this. I'm getting really, really tired of this spiel...

ymmv said:
Yes. It's fucking ridiculous that even when the topic title and OP explicitly state that YOU NEED TO POST SOURCE IMAGES so many people blindly ignore this. I'm getting really, really tired of this spiel...

No kidding... the 3 wallpapers I wanted still haven't been posted. I guess reading the OP and/or the title of the thread is just too much work for some people.

Go_Ly_Dow

Got the background from a GAF picture posting thread.

Saved using paint so the image quality is grainy compared to the real thing.

tzkEW.jpg

Wazzim

Banned
untitled5qfg.png

Source

Does anyone of you know how to make the skins bigger? I tried editing them but they just overlap themselves when making the font bigger.

Threi

notag
resizing rainmeter skins are a pain in the ass. It's not just font size you have to adjust, but font positioning and margins as well.

April thread going up in a bit. Just trying to pick a nice wallpaper :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom