• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2011 Desktop Thread -- Post your source images, dummies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Threi said:
that's odd...i would figure the libraries would be the easiest one to change. So even making a new shortcut with a different icon pointing to %windir%\explorer.exe doesn't work?

:/

Ah, that did the trick, didn't realize I'd have to change the icon to explorer itself but... that makes a ridiculous amount of sense, too much for me to have realized by myself, thanks!

edit: I lost my little tray arrow thingy :(. Now I cant see all my background applications!

Threi

notag
maybe related or not but a couple things i've experienced:

1. UXStyle doesn't always work for some strange reason for me. Even though the service is installed it isn't always "active". If you have UXStyle installed and changing to a custom theme gives you a Win-95ish display, try going into task manager, press "show processes for all users". Then, go to the services tab, find the "unsigned themes" service, right click and stop it, then right click it again and start it. Then re-apply the theme. This always solves the problem for me.

2. Applying orbs restarts your explorer (and also very strangely elevates your user privileges if you don't have UAC off), so stuff you had running in the background won't really show up in the system tray. I suggest logging off and on after changing your start orb to make explorer load normally.

LogicStep

gAm0z.jpg

Source

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Thanks Threi, hopefully I don't run into too many problems, but I'll log-off right now (about to go do some off-comp studying anyway) before that, look at my near final desktop!

2lj6kq9.jpg

I want to do some more fiddling, but I am proud of myself.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
One Ok Rock said:
Nobody wants to see my crummy xp desktop but I've got a pretty kickass wallpaper atm. For all you Studio Ghibli fans out there!

>> FULL SIZE HERE <<
i wanna see your desktop T_T
also your link 403'd for me =(

Kinitari said:
Thanks Threi, hopefully I don't run into too many problems, but I'll log-off right now (about to go do some off-comp studying anyway) before that, look at my near final desktop!

I want to do some more fiddling, but I am proud of myself.
what rainmeter skin are you using. looks streamlined.

I Am Now

Banned
Can't we all just agree to add links to the source image if we're gonna post our desktops?

Come on, people. I'm here for the backgrounds, not to see how cluttered your desktop is.

h3ro

Been having a strange issue with UxStyle.

I updated to SP1 and reinstalled the program after doing a clean uninstall. Restarted after the UxStyle install and was able to change themes. No problems. Shut off the pc and now when I restarted, I still have my theme working properly, but when I change it now, after a restart, it reverts back to a Windows Classic theme and even my original theme that was working when I rebooted doesn't load.

Only thing that seems to fix it is to uninstall UxStyle followed by reinstalling all over again. And even that is only good until I change themes again. Ugh. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

TxdoHawk

Roadblock-chan, main desktop, dual monitors (thumbnailed because wiiiiide, click for full):

Aya, the Dell Mini 12:
imgHAq.PNG

Special Guest: GF's netbook, freshly cleaned of spyware (and censored, keeps way too much personal stuff on her desktop):
ijTR8I.PNG

Here's all the sources.

Edit: For the record, I found that Pikachu wallpaper by Google Image Search-ing "Pikachu wallpaper" on a whim. There's several sizes and color variations floating around in that search, along with small tiles of the wallpaper that can be repeated (using desktop tiling or by stitching them together manually I guess). I went with one of the lighter variants, the darker yellow made desktop icons way too hard to see, at least under a default XP setup.

Threi

notag
h3ro said:
Been having a strange issue with UxStyle.

I updated to SP1 and reinstalled the program after doing a clean uninstall. Restarted after the UxStyle install and was able to change themes. No problems. Shut off the pc and now when I restarted, I still have my theme working properly, but when I change it now, after a restart, it reverts back to a Windows Classic theme and even my original theme that was working when I rebooted doesn't load.

Only thing that seems to fix it is to uninstall UxStyle followed by reinstalling all over again. And even that is only good until I change themes again. Ugh. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?
Like I posted at the top of the page I am kinda having that issue too, not really sure why.

On the positive side you don't have to reinstall UXStyle every time, just restart the unsigned theme service.

Opiate

Anyone have a good stock/market plugin for Rainmeter? Looks like MS decided to disable the Stock Gadget for some reason.

Seda

My Desktop. The start bar fades when the cursor isn't over it so mostly you only see link.

TuctH.jpg

I use complementary Vista/Opera themes for a smokey type display I guess.

y5hHt.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I Am Now said:
Can't we all just agree to add links to the source image if we're gonna post our desktops?

I agree. Thread title edited to reflect this. It's annoying seeing:

<User A> HEREZ MY DESKTOP
<User B> SAUCE, DOGGG?????
<User A> HEAR U GO

or worse

<User A> HEREZ MY DESKTOP
<User B> SAUCE, DOGGG?????
<User B> NE1????
<User B> NE1 GOT SAUCE 4 HOT CHIK???

I'm new to the GeekTool thing. I saw this desktop and thought the multiple rss feeds effect was fantastic. Does anyone have a script for it? I don't think i've seen a mac os user post a similar effect

AR8cY.jpg

Come on, people. I'm here for the backgrounds, not to see how cluttered your desktop is.
Because we still have fucking morons who have no idea how to do things conveniently.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CUSTOM FIREFLY DISPLAY FOLDERS, I WANT YOUR DESKTOP IMAGE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom