• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Announced For Wii U

Branduil

12 racers again? I hope they fixed the item spam that ruined MK Wii.

It looks like the bikes turbo works like kart turbo now, so there's that. And that night level is gorgeous.

ffdgh

Yeah as long as they stay with mk7 items and mega mushrooms, pow, thunder cloud stay as far away as possible again, I'm happy.

I do hope they bring back the fib...fake item box.

I am personally pretty sad to see bikes are returning. They ruined MK Wii imo. I hope they are toned down. It may sound stupid to some of you but Mario KART has always been about Kart racing to me.

Bikes rule!

I hated them at first, but now I love them.

12 racers again? I hope they fixed the item spam that ruined MK Wii.

The real problem that needs fixing. It's really annoying to get hit by 5 things in a row only to be pushed off the track.

Yeah as long as they stay with mk7 items and mega mushrooms, pow, thunder cloud stay as far away as possible again, I'm happy.

I do hope they bring back the fib...fake item box.
Did anyone else like the concept of the thunder cloud? Like a game of tag, mid-game.

I think it was a little over-punishing to the loser, but I enjoyed deliberately knocking into people to pass it on.

Madao

is there a picture of this artwork without the logo?
the game looks absolutely fantastic - and I actually dislike Mario Kart Wii

seeing the picture i almost teared up since it looks like an F-Zero-styled track with those twists.

if there's an F-Zero cup in this game, it would be the megaton of the decade.

Madao

In his defense I think he's sorta right. Perhaps he undersold it, but clearly the foundation of the game is MK7.

by that logic, MKWii is a souped up MKDS, which is a souped up MKDD.

this is not a series that requires a brand new engine that feels completely different.

ffdgh

Did anyone else like the concept of the thunder cloud? Like a game of tag, mid-game.

I think it was a little over-punishing to the loser, but I enjoyed deliberately knocking into people to pass it on.

Getting that thing in second and or when no one is around or getting one by lag was to darn annoying. The punishment outweighed the benefit....by a lot lol.

Competition: come up with the best names for the 5 new courses! Bonus: your best guess what you think they'll be called)

(The mushroom figure 8, the city with the trams, the ghost house, the ancient ruins thing, and the wafer lollipop candyland course)

Prize: fun!

Kangi

Competition: come up with the best names for the 5 new courses! Bonus: your best guess what you think they'll be called)

(The mushroom figure 8, the city with the trams, the ghost house, the ancient ruins thing, and the wafer lollipop candyland course)

Prize: fun!
8 Circuit, Trolley Town, Luigi's Mansion, Dry Dunes, Sweet Stadium.

Edit: Eh... Sweet Circuit instead. Stadium's too battle mode-y.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
In his defense I think he's sorta right. Perhaps he undersold it, but clearly the foundation of the game is MK7.

In his defense?! He got EVERYTHING wrong, lol. He was a failure even as a guesser, just an attention whore troll.
He's permabanned anyway.

Cwarrior

This doesn't even make any sense

my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

Why does mario kart which has been one the weakest nintendo franchise visually, now Look Amazing and by far the best looking In-house game.

Kangi

This doesn't even make any sense

my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

Why does mario kart which has been one the weakest nintendo franchise visually, now Look Amazing and by far the best looking In-house game.
MKW actually pushed the Wii hard. Great graphics for the platform and 60fps 12 player online for a Wii game was nothing to scoff at. MK7 also is one of 3DS's graphical powerhouses.

Septimius

No. I didn't like it. It meant being mid-field, it could be smart staying away from items. Which doesn't make sense.

Darryl

Banned

nintendo found out how much street cred sony and microsoft were getting for pushing high visuals on racers and they did it themselves, just funny that their main racer is a kart game LOL. all of the kart games have actually been really great looking for the console they released on, shit like Double Dash only looks average in hindsight.

This game is going to be a system seller no question. This is one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen. It's honestly the first game that ACTUALLY looks Pixar movie quality, despite how many times that claim has been thrown around.

deleted

Many things to like here:

• The items seem to be scaled back to a basic rooster (didn't see any of the luck-items yet)
  • The karts look like carts again and aren't super big monster vehicles
  • game looks great!
  • It already feels fast (most MKs debuted in 50cc only and felt slow as hell for it)
  • the green shell is smaller and faster again
  • It looks great!

Just give me a good battle mode now, Nintendo

I hope they add some animation to the powerups trailing behind the kart; maybe a small spark as it gets dragged along the tarmac or something - also HATE how you just drive 'into' the under water parts; I don't mind the fact that there's 'driving' underwater, but at least make the karts drop off a pier or something INTO the water - a wall of water is stupid.

I just want to say this looks real nice. Nintendoland nice with the lighting, and some great looking animation on the characters.
Its good stuff
I love that they made the roads smaller and the character bigger again too. Hated everything being over giant in MKWii

Dmax3901

Many things to like here:

• The items seem to be scaled back to a basic rooster (didn't see any of the luck-items yet)
  • The karts look like carts again and aren't super big monster vehicles
  • game looks great!
  • It already feels fast (most MKs debuted in 50cc only and felt slow as hell for it)
  • the green shell is smaller and faster again
  • It looks great!

Just give me a good battle mode now, Nintendo

lol.

Jal

Looks fantastic, the one thing they needed to go up against PS4One this xmas and its not releasing till next year.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hoped they toned the fireflower down a bit. It lasted a bit too long in 7.

Also the coins act the same as they go in 7, but I hope one doesn't need to collect something ridiculous lke 20k(!) to unlock the last thing. Still haven't hit that goal (I'm at 13k)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, is the blue shell back again (hate it in single player) :/?

Other than that, Mario Kart 8 was the suprise of the show for me, I haven't even remotely expected something looking this great and fresh. I love it.

Top Bottom