• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Announced For Wii U

nikatapi

Ιf this game was coming during Christmas, bundled with the WiiU, i think it would increase the sales very much.

I'm very pumped for the game, but i kind of hoped for a reason to get the WiiU this Christmas, but MK it isn't as it seems.

jambo

oh i found one, in case anyone wants it

sorry I missed Roo's post, thanks!

Thanks for this!

ZHmysbm.png

eXistor

Yeah this is really, really good looking, almost makes up for no F-Zero with the anti-grav and all. Can't wait to see what kind of mind-meltingly crazy tracks there are.

zoukka

Looks tasty as fuck! I am genuinely surprised at how good it looks. Nintendo style with HD visuals seems to hold up just fine against the xbone/ps4 avalanche of AAA productions.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
This looks incredibly good. Some really interesting ideas. Realistically I would have purchased it even if it was a dull improvement, but this looks to go beyond that.

Going in to this i was pretty burnt out on Mario Kart and expecting a low effort game.
I guess for starters, i underestimated how much nicer it'd look in HD... but i'm most impressed with the focus on seriously mixing up the track design.
It is after all the core of the game now, considering the mechanics have been essentially unchanged for over a decade.

I still have to say though, from what i've seen, the Gamepad implementation is even more piss poor than i was expecting. Is that seriously a giant goddamn mario horn button?!

Actually they seem to have skirted around actual innovative Gamepad gameplay across all their games... strange cause it's obviously their big differentiator. I guess like 3D on 3DS, no one really cares as long as the games play good.

jonno394

Watched the trailer for the first time, holy shit. Looks crazy and importantly, fun.

I'll definitely be buying a Wii U in 2014 for this, X and to catch up on the great late '13 titles like Mario, Zelda and DK

Jay Sosa

Looks fun...as someone with no friends I just hope the AI isn't as horrible as DDs (blue shells ftw) and that they finally let me fiddle with some options (those stupid rankings on the side for instance*) and what really would be neat would be a FPM (MK7 has one so I hope this does as well).

*though that shouldn't bother me as much in 16:9

m.i.s.

Banned
Looks good. Though like Mario Kart 7, there's no lap timer in GP mode it would seem.

Where's the track map? On the controller?

Looks absolutly perfect and awesome, only thing I still wish for is story/adventure/anything besides "get all the point, win all the cups" mode :)

Is it just me or do the characters look better than their smash brothers equivalents?

Maybe its the lighting but seriously impressive looking game

Jay Sosa

Looks absolutly perfect and awesome, only thing I still wish for is story/adventure/anything besides "get all the point, win all the cups" mode :)

That would indeed be brilliant. Maybe something similar to the story mode in F-Zero (less frustrating obviously).

But we all know how likely that is..

Simple track editor would be nice too.

Roo

Looks good. Though like Mario Kart 7, there's no lap timer in GP mode it would seem.

Where's the track map? On the controller?

Right now... yes, it's only in the controller.
Since the game supports all the controllers available (or so Hideki Konno said) I think all the hud elements will be available on the TV screen if you want to use the Wiimote+ Nunchuck, Wii Wheel or the Pro Controller instead of the gamepad.
I just can't see the HUD being only in the controller, it would be a major oversight imo.

AlexSmash

Most interesting game Nintendo has shown for the Wii U so far for me.

Imagine this one with a Diddy Kong racing style Single player mode.

m.i.s.

Banned
No baby characters Nintendo. Drop all superfluous characters [from the Wii version] and hopefully get the game on schedule if not sooner. Just have the 12 characters we see and that would be enough.

m.i.s.

Banned
Right now... yes, it's only in the controller.
Since the game supports all the controllers available (or so Hideki Konno said) I think all the hud elements will be available on the TV screen if you want to use the Wiimote+ Nunchuck, Wii Wheel or the Pro Controller instead of the gamepad.
I just can't see the HUD being only in the controller, it would be a major oversight imo.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that.

Those videos are just phenomenal, and think about they are filmed off-screen and it looks aweosme, I wish Nintendo brings this to Gamescom in Cologne :)

Anson225

never thought it would be mario kart that convince me to get a Wii U
gives me the same feeling i had for double dash... so good

Coolwhip

Banned
That is one of the most beautiful game I have ever seen. Even when you factor past CGI they realized, Nintendo never achieved something that impressive.

To me it's THE best looking game I have ever seen. But that's because I love the Nintendo artstyle and I love Mario Kart. And maybe I'm a little too excited now and will regret saying this later >:D

looks great, so it auto does a trick off every jump? that looks lame.

Err no. Just like in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 you have to manually activate a trick. I've seen people shake the GamePad, I guess it is the new way of doing so (since you could shake the Wii Remote in MKWii to make a trick).

I hope they add some animation to the powerups trailing behind the kart; maybe a small spark as it gets dragged along the tarmac or something - also HATE how you just drive 'into' the under water parts; I don't mind the fact that there's 'driving' underwater, but at least make the karts drop off a pier or something INTO the water - a wall of water is stupid.

I thought this at first too, but I'm pretty sure you're driving DOWN into the water. The perspective due to the anti-grav makes it look odd.

MicH

I can't believe this game is the most impressive of those that were shown. Who would ever have thought that?

GimMick

For those that are worried about the balance between karts and bikes, bikes have been nerfed : the wheelie merely happens only an a effect when using a mushroom. They now pretty much play identically to karts now.

Also the shells seem to have been nerfed as well, the hitstun has been shortened compared to MKW/MK7 and is closer to MKDD, which is a very good thing, since with 12 players, there is bound to be a lot of them !

Did anyone else like the concept of the thunder cloud? Like a game of tag, mid-game.

I think it was a little over-punishing to the loser, but I enjoyed deliberately knocking into people to pass it on.
It's not bad at all on paper, but the sad truth is that it doesn't work at all online since the lag is omnipresent there and therefore you can never tell whether you really hit someone or not.

I hope they add some animation to the powerups trailing behind the kart; maybe a small spark as it gets dragged along the tarmac or something - also HATE how you just drive 'into' the under water parts; I don't mind the fact that there's 'driving' underwater, but at least make the karts drop off a pier or something INTO the water - a wall of water is stupid.

Actually you are racing downwards in that section (anti-gravity is activated there). I know it's a bit hard to follow which is up and down in that mansion track though :p

Roo

That is one of the most beautiful game I have ever seen. Even when you factor past CGI they realized, Nintendo never achieved something that impressive.

Seriously.. The first time I saw the trailer I was like... Man, why CG? Then I noticed that it was in-game and I was literally speechless. From all the Nintendo teams, I didn't expect such a beautiful game from the Mario Kart Team.

Those videos are just phenomenal, and think about they are filmed off-screen and it looks aweosme, I wish Nintendo brings this to Gamescom in Cologne :)

You should watch the trailer directly from the eShop.
YouTube videos don't make this game justice at all.

Only thing that has me disappointed is the fact that it's not coming out this year.

Game looks really impressive.

I'm totally fine with a 2014 release. It'll give them more time to tune up and extra polish the game.

I can't believe this game is the most impressive of those that were shown. Who would ever have thought that?
Definitely the surprise of the day.

DaBoss

game looks rad. best thing revealed today.

Are you going to play this game today? Or have you already played it? If so, can you post impressions on how gameplay changed.

I feel like a lot of people here are forgetting the gameplay is what needs some shaking up (though MK7 was nice). Just looking at the graphics (which are undoubtedly amazing) and forgetting that there needs to be some change (anti-gravity seems to introduce alternative routes only). The track design seems to change with the fact that there are going to be a lot of multiple routes

big_z

the game looks very nice visually but plays a bit slow, hopefully this is only 50cc. i also hope nintendo drops the blue shell and bike wheelie boost.

Fresh new ideas and outstanding graphics, these are things I expected for the new 3D Mario, not for Mario Kart. It's baffling how this game's graphics are better than 3D World's in every single way.

Top Bottom