• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe battle mode videos

Revven

Ahhh yes that's what it was. I feel dumb.

I have a question. Can you change the amount of characters that play in a match or does it have to be 12 players?

He answered this already, no, local play does not have to be 12 players. You can have it be as low as 1 v 1 where it's just two human players.

NateDrake

Ahhh yes that's what it was. I feel dumb.

I have a question. Can you change the amount of characters that play in a match or does it have to be 12 players?

When playing solo, it will always be 12. If playing local multiplayer, you can select No Computer.

hatchx

Banned
Too early to say for either. Balloon Battle is classic; yet Shine Thief, Renegade, and Bob-omb Blast are equally chaotic and fun.

As you'll see in the Shine Thief footage (https://youtu.be/MdGU6cxJOa8) this mode could get insane when playing online with a full lobby.

You know, even though I wish there were a few more levels (cough block fort), they really went all out with the selection of modes. I don't think a Mario Kart has ever had 5 modes! Really happy shine thief is back. Can't wait.

Neoxon

Nate, can you have 12 players in Wireless Play where 4 of the Switches have 2 players on one Switch? For example, can you have it to where...
  • Switch #1 = 2 players
  • Switch #2 = 2 players
  • Switch #3 = 2 players
  • Switch #4 = 2 players
  • Switch #5 = 1 player
  • Switch #6 = 1 player
  • Switch #7 = 1 player
  • Switch #8 = 1 player
Total: 12 players

Also, is there voice chat for friends-only lobbies like in the Wii U version?

NateDrake

Nate, can you have 12 players in Wireless Play where 4 of the Switches have 2 players on one Switch? For example, can you have it to where...
  • Switch #1 = 2 players
  • Switch #2 = 2 players
  • Switch #3 = 2 players
  • Switch #4 = 2 players
  • Switch #5 = 1 player
  • Switch #6 = 1 player
  • Switch #7 = 1 player
  • Switch #8 = 1 player
Total: 12 players

Also, is there voice chat for friends-only lobbies like in the Wii U version?

Unfortunately I have no way to test the Wireless question right now nor do I have any friends online at the moment. Will see what I can setup this week and get back to you.

You know, even though I wish there were a few more levels (cough block fort), they really went all out with the selection of modes. I don't think a Mario Kart has ever had 5 modes! Really happy shine thief is back. Can't wait.
This reminded me I need to capture Coin Runners footage. Completely forgot about it.

I have to say that I'm torn as I wasn't planning on buying this. While I like Mario Kart, since the 64 days my love for the series has been the battle mode. Double Dash had a good battle mode but I found the rest to be disappointing in different ways. This seems like it's really fleshed out and made a pretty substantial, fun and addicting battle mode.

I'm still not planning on buying a Switch until after E3. Perhaps I'll get it when ARMS releases but it will depend on ARMS' reception and Switch's E3 showing. If I don't purchase it when ARMS releases, I'll likely get it for Splatoon 2. With that said I'll probably be adding MK8D to my library when I get a Switch after seeing the battle mode footage.

baconcow

Battle Mode looks great! Haven't played much apart from the MK64, MKDS, and MK 7 versions. Level designs look pretty awesome, too.

Spy

But left out classic (the best) Balloon Battle, ala no time limit elimination.

Macka

is Wii U getting an update with those battle stages?

if not they really screwed Wii U owners because the battle mode was not really there until now
Eh, Mario Kart 8 released in 2014 and had several years of great support. This is entirely new content made for the deluxe version of the game, and I think that's fair.

I am annoyed, however, that they expect me to pay full price again. A decent battle mode is not enough to justify spending $60 again when I already spent $80 for it and all of the DLC a few years ago. Deluxe should really be $40 US imo.

Or they could offer it cheaper for Wii U owners. I know they can't track physical sales, but couldn't they track who bought the DLC for the Wii U version?

hatchx

Banned
But left out classic (the best) Balloon Battle, ala no time limit elimination.

I admit this was very disappointing. Atleast allow it for local multiplayer or custome matches.

The nature of balloon battle has changed. It's about your score now and not elimination. It's probably the mode I'm least excited to play out of the five.

Spy

I admit this was very disappointing. Atleast allow it for local multiplayer or custome matches.

The nature of balloon battle has changed. It's about your score now and not elimination. It's probably the mode I'm least excited to play out of the five.
Yep, playing with a time limit completely changes the dynamic of the multiplayer (and not in a good way). I'm hopeful Nintendo will eventually give us the option to remove it, we just need to be more vocal about it.

Another thing I would LOVE, changing the speed in multiplayer matches. Classic Balloon Battle at 200cc would be amazing.

Cartho

is Wii U getting an update with those battle stages?

if not they really screwed Wii U owners because the battle mode was not really there until now

Is the PS2 version of Jedi Starfighter on the original PS2 being updated with trophy support like the PS4 BC version is? Because if not they really screwed PS2 owners.

Switch is new hardware and this is a new game, previously released or not. Expecting them to keep supporting and adding stuff to games on older hardware is unrealistic. It's not screwing Wii U owners at all, the Wii U is over.

OT:
This looks so good. Battle modes look great!

Cerium

Looking at these videos I can tell this is just such a talented team of devs.

Between MK8D and ARMS, Nintendo is really leaning hard on EPD1 early in the Switch life cycle.

Skeletos311

So make it N64 style; turning the early goners into bombs on wheels whose sole purpose is robbing the life away of those still in the game. Them were the days.

It would be nice if there was an option for no time limit for those who want that.

My memories of MK64 are more like me and someone else chased each other around block fort for 20 minutes while a bunch of other people got bored and mad at us.

hollomat

Banned
That's really frustrating that battle mode is timed. Hopefully there's a way to play non timed.

It's just like smash bros where I was really excited to play stock mode online but the mode was ruined for me because the only online choice was timed. It's always two steps forward one step back with Nintendo.

Robin64

Cool graffiti.

fXlYDec.png

Eh, Mario Kart 8 released in 2014 and had several years of great support. This is entirely new content made for the deluxe version of the game, and I think that's fair.

I am annoyed, however, that they expect me to pay full price again. A decent battle mode is not enough to justify spending $60 again when I already spent $80 for it and all of the DLC a few years ago. Deluxe should really be $40 US imo.

Or they could offer it cheaper for Wii U owners. I know they can't track physical sales, but couldn't they track who bought the DLC for the Wii U version?

It has new content. So it is justified and has more effort.

Were you complaining when Microsoft and Sony port their games with no new content added?

Skeletos311

That's really frustrating that battle mode is timed. Hopefully there's a way to play non timed.

It's just like smash bros where I was really excited to play stock mode online but the mode was ruined for me because the only online choice was timed. It's always two steps forward one step back with Nintendo.

They go through the options in the menus vid and it goes from 1-5 minutes only.

Glad I'm not the only one who wants classic balloon battle (stock, no time). I wish there was a way to express that to Nintendo. It's such a simple thing to add I feel.

Spy

Yeah, I have no desire to play Battle Mode if it's timed. Just not fun to me.

Aleh

Glad I'm not the only one who wants classic balloon battle (stock, no time). I wish there was a way to express that to Nintendo. It's such a simple thing to add I feel.
I agree. Although I don't know if they'll even acknowledge that some people prefer it at this point, it's been gone for a long time now :/

Spy

I agree. Although I don't know if they'll even acknowledge that some people prefer it at this point, it's been gone for a long time now :/
If we are vocal enough, they may do something as it really should not be hard to implement.

And like I said before, let us do 200cc in custom battle mode matches!! fff

It's crazy that it took them two decades to bring back the classic battle mode. Why did they get rid of it in the first place? Did they really have no idea of how popular it was?

Macka

Little Mons†er;234149165 said:
It has new content. So it is justified and has more effort.
The only new content the game has is the Battle Mode. Wii U owners are expected to pay $60 for access to that and a resolution bump. Do you not see how this isn't a good value proposition for people who already paid $80 for more or less the same game and DLC a few years ago?

I feel like people are missing the point, here. It's not about what Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is worth. It's about how Nintendo expects to get the 8+ million people who already purchased the game for the Wii U to upgrade. Although based on this thread it looks like most are all to happy to bend over for them I suppose.

Little Mons†er;234149165 said:
Were you complaining when Microsoft and Sony port their games with no new content added?
I wouldn't pay full price for a game I already own unless there was additional content added that I felt justified the price. Or if I hadn't purchased the DLC for the original version and the GOTY edition ended up more or less the same price with some extra improvements. Do you see how these are different situations altogether?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Do you see how these are different situations altogether?
What you don't see is Mario Kart is a classic multiplayer game that you could play for a decade, now in mobile form, in LAN or table top with friends. I'm rebuying it for this and for the added battle mode, which is back and just as good as the main courses.

Macka

What you don't see is Mario Kart is a classic multiplayer game that you could play for a decade, now in mobile form, in LAN or table top with friends. I'm rebuying it for this and for the added battle mode, which is back and just as good as the main courses.
Good for you bro. None of those things are enough for me to pay full price again.

I played the fuck out of the game on the Wii U. Hundreds of hours. I play it once every few months at this point. It's old news dude. The only appeal the Switch version has is the Battle Mode. And I'd be playing that at home online with the pro controller, so it being a portable version is really a non-factor for me when it comes to this game.

Jazzem

Wait, hold on...didn't Mario Kart 8 Vanilla have the classic elimination battle mode that didn't rely on scoring? I know it was only on the normal racing tracks, but I'm sure it at least worked under those rules...

...is that really not an option in Deluxe? They didn't actively take that out surely...?

seems kinda impossible for the cops to catch all the robbers if running over a button frees all the robbers.

is that the only way the cops win?

how does that mode work?

Top Bottom