• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

I think what people cant get their mind around is

Mario kart 8 gets an 88 and its remaster goes up 6 points to 94

While other games, for example, TLOU gets a 95 and its remaster stays a 95.

Both have comparable addidtions to their remasters.

Though they are different genres one could argue tlou is a more complete package too offering substantial SP and MP vs. mk's MP focus

Well, when MK8 in Wii U was reviewed it did not have:

The extra 16 tracks
A decent Battle mode
Extra characters
200 cc category

This is now included by default in the game. So I guess together with the improvements added it could make sense to give it a higher score.

Unicorn

Do you need me to draw you a chart?
mario_kart_overlapping_line_chart.jpg

Super Circuit being denied the sales it deserves. Sadly the best MK goes ignored.

That said - so stoked to get into this game for battle mode. fuck yesssss

Draper

Just preordered on Amazon- at least I get that slight discount. Haven't owned a Mario Kart iteration since 64.

Friend me K A R T B O Y E S

SW-7156-1049-5515

I don't think I'm taking it too serious. I simply said it was overrated.

I was gonna leave it at that.. but I guess I could just convince myself that the game is an 88 and that it's got "bonus points" for being on Switch.. with it's added portability.

Eh.. DLC for an 88 game would still be DLC for an 88 game.
But you're not taking into account that that DLC wasn't out at the time vanilla MK8 was getting reviewed. So it didn't factor into their score at the time.

RM8

The extra 16 tracks
A decent Battle mode
Extra characters
200 cc category

This is now included by default in the game. So I guess together with the improvements added it could make sense to give it a higher score.
How can people miss this, I wonder if we're being trolled. The game has twice the content and modes, looks better, and it's fully portable now.

I think what people cant get their mind around is

Mario kart 8 gets an 88 and its remaster goes up 6 points to 94

While other games, for example, TLOU gets a 95 and its remaster stays a 95.

Both have comparable addidtions to their remasters.

Though they are different genres one could argue tlou is a more complete package too offering substantial SP and MP vs. mk's MP focus

It's an interesting comparison.
TLOU R had: OG Game, Left Behind, Map Pack #1, Bundle Pack with Map Pack #2, MP DLCs and a New Difficulty Mode.

MK8 D has: OG Game, New Battle Mode, DLC Pack #1, DLC Pack #2 and 200cc Mode.

Both had a resolution bump, Last of Us got 60fps while MK8 gets a frame rate fix.

I guess the only advantage MK8D has is that it is now the best portable racing game available now. That honestly would earn the game a couple of points from me.

I honestly think reviewers saw TLOUR as a Glorified GOTY Edition rather than a port with new features.

mcfrank

TLOU R had: OG Game, Left Behind, Map Pack #1, Bundle Pack with Map Pack #2, MP DLCs and a New Difficulty Mode.

Both had a resolution bump, Last of Us got 60fps while MK8 gets a frame rate fix.

I guess the only advantage MK8D has is that it is now the best portable racing game available now. That honestly would earn the game a couple of points from me.

I honestly think reviewers saw TLOUR as a Glorified GOTY Edition rather than a port with new features.

Was the last of us remaster all of that on a portable?

Was the last of us remaster all of that on a portable?
It depends if you consider remote play on the Vita as portable gaming XD

But to answer your question, No. So yeah I believe a lot of the reason why MK8D is getting better scores than the original, apart from the added content. Is that it's going to be a great portable game, specially on Switch with the joycons. I'm actually excited to play it on campus with my friends. The 1-2 Switch excitement has faded and I didn't get RMX because I wanted MK8 instead.

Sandfox

Deluxe also has new characters, vehicles, and items that weren't in the original or DLC and the ability to hold two items.

Yukinari

It could stand to maybe have more characters and karts, especially from 7.

Battle mode looks really good but its still lacking a few options like amount of CPU players. Being able to switch your kart setup in lobbies is a HUGE change.

Anteo

Its getting harder and harder to wait before buying a switch... and I already own both zelda and mk8 on wii u yet Im thinking about double dipping...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I know some people are quite excited about trying 200c but I wonder how many people would prefer to try normal mode or frantic mode?

I don't think I've double dipped this hard since GTAV (altho OoT is my all-time champion--I own like 6 versions of that game.)

#worthit

The most amusing thing to me about the "How could the score go up?! It's just a port!" sentiment is that the difference between an 88 and a 94 is honestly a bit trivial on the aggregate site's 100pt scale.

Anyways, I guess I'm double-dipping.

openrob

I'm not sure how I feel about reviews mentioning 1. The install base of a console, or two heavy comparisons to the original (e.g. many reviews say that it doesn't give enough extra to warrant a purchase - this isn't a DLC review, but a game.

I mean dualshockers for example gave the original MK8 a 9.5, but the improved game an 80. The main reason being that people who already own Mario Kart might not get as much worth out of it.

Is this standard for a port or GOTY editions etc?

KHlover

Banned

It's also much harder for the score to go up when you're already at 95 before the remaster. 10/10 is the highest score after all and even if the remaster improves stuff you can't go higher anymore. To go from 95 to just 96 would mean a lot of people who scored 9/10 would need to score the remaster 10/10. 88 leaves a LOT more wiggle room.

watershed

Banned
The videos Nintendo puts on the eshop don't do justice to their games. I just watched the MK8 Deluxe videos and they look far less vivid and bright than watching MK8 Deluxe videos at 720p 60fps on Youtube. It's like bad false advertising.

Ninferno

It's amusing how people are so one-sided in this "overrated!" conversation. Guys, how about we change the angle a little bit, like, instead of outright labeling MK8D as overrated, can we maybe consider the slimmest chance of the vanilla MK8 being underrated for a little bit?

It's like 2 games are the same, one gets an 88 and the other gets an 94. Why did we straight away jump to the conclusion that the second one is overrated and should have been 88 as well? Why was the possibility, however small it is, that the first one should have been 94 in the first place getting totally ignored?

The original MK8 was praised by many to be the greatest MK ever when it came out. Why didn't anyone consider it underrated by an 88?

It's amusing how people are so one-sided in this "overrated!" conversation. Guys, how about we change the angle a little bit, like, instead of outright labeling MK8D as overrated, can we maybe consider the slimmest chance of the vanilla MK8 being underrated for a little bit?

It's like 2 games are the same, one gets an 88 and the other gets an 94. Why did we straight away jump to the conclusion that the second one is overrated and should have been 88 as well? Why was the possibility, however small it is, that the first one should have been 94 in the first place getting totally ignored?

The original MK8 was praised by many to be the greatest MK ever when it came out. Why didn't anyone consider it underrated by an 88?
I actually feel the original MK8 was very overrated when it came out! It was definitely deep in the "alright I guess" category for me. DLC helped the game a metric ton, and now I can safely say it's my second favorite behind MK Wii. Neither of which are anywhere near Crash Team Racing, of course.

Also those scores are both very high, so that's pretty glowing reception even for MK8. "slim chance of it being a 94" means little to me when it was already considered great by many reviewers, it's splitting hairs at that point!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how I feel about reviews mentioning 1. The install base of a console, or two heavy comparisons to the original (e.g. many reviews say that it doesn't give enough extra to warrant a purchase - this isn't a DLC review, but a game.

I mean dualshockers for example gave the original MK8 a 9.5, but the improved game an 80. The main reason being that people who already own Mario Kart might not get as much worth out of it.

Is this standard for a port or GOTY editions etc?

This is a weird thing about review scores and aggregate sites when it comes to serving as a purchasing guide.

Average Joe and Janice might want to buy a new game, so they stumble upon Metacritic via Google and look to see what games are "good." They see that Shooter Game 2 has a higher score than Shooter Game 3, so they conclude that Shooter Game 2 is better and more deserving of their money. However, the review texts of Shooter Game 3 reveal that most critics rated it lower because, despite being clearly better in a few ways, it didn't add enough to distinguish itself from Shooter Game 2, which was fresh when it released. In this case, Shooter Game 3 would have been the best choice for them, but the shorthand way that reviews are distributed misleads them.

As art critiques, I think the encompassing context of a medium and a franchise can and perhaps should play a big role in a review. However, as a consumer guide, I think reviews and how they're summarized and consolidated could do a much better job of taking into account more of the various backgrounds that a consumer might personally come from when buying a game. I don't know how this could be done in practice on a large scale on services like Metacritic, but I have seen a few individual sites try to tackle this issue in their reviews.

jonno394

Wow, didn't realize that the Wii U had so few hardware sales. I mean, mine has been collecting dust and might as well be in a box, but I had really wanted one for so long for some reason before I bought it.

That chart is as ridiculous as it is outdated.

The true tragedy here is MK8 Wii U sitting at 88 metacritic.
What is wrong with humanity...?

Does it really matter though?
88 and 94 are both very, very high scores on a 100pt scale that generally tell you "Hey this game is excellent! Go play it!".
I mean...the difference between the two is so trivial if you ignore Metacritic's dumb, arbitrary rule of making the "universal acclaim" title limited to 90+ for games rather than 80+ like they do for films/TV/music.

Yukinari

The true tragedy here is MK8 Wii U sitting at 88 metacritic.
What is wrong with humanity...?

Vanilla MK8 has a terrible roster, atrocious battle mode, and way less options.

Id even reckon that the removal of firehopping and adding a 2nd item slot makes Deluxe more deserving of the higher score.

I loved vanilla MK8 and poured over 100 hours into that game. Its videogame perfection in my book. And yes, 88 is a fine score. Not that I really care for scores in the first place :)

Can't wait for next Friday, KartGAF is best GAF!

The extra 16 tracks
A decent Battle mode
Extra characters
200 cc category

and it is portable now.

people are mad? lol.

spekkeh

Banned
Does it really matter though?
88 and 94 are both very, very high scores on a 100pt scale that generally tell you "Hey this game is excellent! Go play it!".
I mean...the difference between the two is so trivial if you ignore Metacritic's dumb, arbitrary rule of making the "universal acclaim" title limited to 90+ for games rather than 80+ like they do for films/TV/music.
It matters when DA:I got a 89 that year, adding insult to injury of the travesty that was the 2014 GOTY awards, this is just the universe correcting itself a bit.

I don't hold fanboy grudges no way.

I am absolutely not going to be able to take the week ahead waiting for this. Not even finished with Zelda either so guess I should wrap that up first before I get sucked into online racing again.

Top Bottom