• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Zalman

Man, I can't imagine skipping Mario Kart 8 and going straight to Deluxe. Those people are in for a treat. Even people who bought the original but skipped the DLC are going to be amazed.

JnFnRu

Man, I can't imagine skipping Mario Kart 8 and going straight to Deluxe. Those people are in for a treat. Even people who bought the original but skipped the DLC are going to be amazed.

I had it on Wiiu with all the DLC, not sure Im gonna go for Deluxe.

Weird if you played and grafted through all the cups getting cold Stars for all the characters and equipment just to do it again.....
What does everyone else who had it before think?

Battle mode is definitely enticing, just not sure...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Weird if you played and grafted through all the cups getting cold Stars for all the characters and equipment just to do it again.....

It's a bit silly but I'm actually excited to go back and race through all the cups again. :p The little enhancements and new characters just give me the justification.

Hasney

It's a bit silly but I'm actually excited to go back and race through all the cups again. :p The little enhancements and new characters just give me the justification.

Hell yeah. Even with 7, I sold my 3DS then got an XL down the line and Mario Kart again and don't regret doing all the cups again then either.

I'm all the way in and couldn't be more enthusiastic.

Battle Mode is awesome. Eight stages, one of which is Urchin Underpass which is amazing. Cool modes, and another huuuuge timesink for me playing online.

All the characters coming are ones I like, and they'll be bringing new kart parts with them.

I'm actually totally fine with just three-starring all the cups again because I really enjoy it.

200cc time trials are rad, and no goddamn fire hoping means I'll actually be interested in trying for WRs.

Oh and I can bring it with me and play wherever.

zeexlash

I've already played it but the reviews have got me hyped, thinking back it really was a fantastic game.

The DLC courses will be new to me and battle mode sounds like a blast!

Red Devil

I'm on the same boat, never really cared about Battle Mode otherwise so I don't think I'll get it anytime soon, MAYBE next year.

Baleoce

You can change Kart setup in online lobby now? Best news.

On the plus side you don't have to three star 50cc or 100cc like in the original MK8. Just go straight to 150cc and it'll mark them all as done. And you can earn towards karts/parts getting coins online now I think?

Robin64

On the plus side you don't have to three star 50cc or 100cc like in the original MK8. Just go straight to 150cc and it'll mark them all as done. And you can earn towards karts/parts getting coins online now I think?

...seriously? If I get Gold *** on 150cc Mushroom Cup, that will display on 50cc and 100cc Mushroom Cups too?

13ruce

Banned
I'm glad i kinda negelected the Mario Kart 8 dlc and my overal play time was less then 50 hours on Wii U. Will play alot more now and online battle mode omg......

Double items + baby park the chaos we deserve.

So, no Last Man Standing in battle mode? Well, it seems like this game has not battle mode at all for me. What a shame. Back to online races only.
This is so stupid. If it's timed you don't even need balloons.

joker3782

Neo Member
So, no Last Man Standing in battle mode? Well, it seems like this game has not battle mode at all for me. What a shame. Back to online races only.
This is so stupid. If it's timed you don't even need balloons.

I'm hoping they update the game down the line to add a last man standing setting.

Muzicfreq

Banned
The Eurogamer review is glorious.

Shame about the utterly miserable cunts in the comments.
Some of them do have a point though.
It truly only is essential due to the extreme lack of games.
Not only this but the games out aren't even exclusive titles really.

It is more or less re-reviewing a Wii u game with dlc this time

Good times, good times.

Or it's essential because the game is good enough for them to call it that? Like, the Wii U version was essential even though it was out in 2014 where they had the strongest 1st party support. This is basically reminding people "Yep, this game is still pretty great."

Nah, this game would be essential regardless of when it released on the platform.

jonno394

TLOU:R was also listed as "essential" and I agree that it is. Just because it is a remaster doesn't make it any less essential.

The game is good. It reviews well.

Why being salty?

Muzicfreq

Banned
Good times, good times.

Or it's essential because the game is good enough for them to call it that? Like, the Wii U version was essential even though it was out in 2014 where they had the strongest 1st party support. This is basically reminding people "Yep, this game is still pretty great."

Nah, this game would be essential regardless of when it released on the platform.

TLOU:R was also listed as "essential" and I agree that it is.
Guess my point is more or less that with the lack of titles for the system damn near everything has to be essential.
Didn't know tlou wound up on there but then again I don't tend to follow re-reviews for games already deemed great and goty

Hasney

Not really. This could have released on any console and it would be essential. Even Wii U again, it's just that good of a game.

Hell, Switch could have had all the major franchises and 40 must-have games and it would have likely gotten the same rating. The game is goddamn essential.

Pif

Banned

Outlets have been reviewing the same CoD and Fifa for years and if those can have decent scores justified, MK8D is more justified than those.

jonno394

Guess my point is more or less that with the lack of titles for the system damn near everything has to be essential.
Didn't know tlou wound up on there but then again I don't tend to follow re-reviews for games already deemed great and goty

Kind of funny when you say this when TLOU:R was arguably one of the first "essential" games for the system and that came 8 months after launch.

Man, some of you are looking for any and all reasons to trash the Switch, just because most things have been positive.

It's going to be a long 4-6 years for you guys, and a stark comparison to the Wii U days. Hope you enjoy all the positive news and sunshine! Bathe in it, please.

the lack of games doesn't make vroom in the night sky essential though.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Kind of funny when you say this when TLOU:R was arguably one of the first "essential" games for the system and that came 8 months after launch.
Though to be fair is that there were more exclusive titles on the system before it... People just wanted to hate on most of them though.

Forkball

Two of the best selling games this gen, GTA V and Minecraft, are essentially remasters. People are not only accustomed to it, they actively request them. No matter who you are, I bet there's a game your aching to see remastered. I admit paying $60 again for MK8 is a hard pill to swallow since I already own it and the DLC on my (unplugged) Wii U, but the revived online player base and battle mode makes me think it'll be worth it. Not to mention this game will never drop in price and the next MK game could be 2020 for all we know.

Sendou

Yeah the lineup for this year is pretty laughable. First Mario Kart rehash then Wii Boxing with new coat of paint followed my Splatoon remaster except for some reason they put 2 there? If that doesn't fancy you of course there's always the 1000th Musou game (sure haven't been able to play that before), Xenoblade rehash except now with stereotypical Anime Visuals and Yet Another Mario Game.

Can't see people buying Mario Kart 8 Deluxe especially after the roaring success that was Wii U already gave everyone a chance to play it.

AGoodODST

This thread has been a fun read.

Will we be able to make GAF battle rooms? Or can you only do that with races? (Can't remember if you could on the WiiU version).

Jimrpg

That's why I haven't got a Switch yet, I have Mario Kart 8 with all the DLC and got Zelda for the Wii U. It's cool to have the new hardware but not $300 cool.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah i used to post in the EG comment section quite a lot , but every story is just full of idiots. A shame really. But i've mostly ignored them recently and much better for it.

The clickbaity style articles introduced by Oli/WYP and the way they trolled the Switch launch really did a number on their users. I used to really be into EG, but the comments are depressing nowadays. (luckily it seems there's still a contingent of people minussing the trolls)

giapel

Ermm... the game is now portable as well. I don't know what you think, but games like Mario Kart being portable makes a huge huge difference.

jonno394

Though to be fair is that there were more exclusive titles on the system before it... People just wanted to hate on most of them though.

But none of them were "essential" though. Infamous Second Son, Killzone, Knack? Nah.

Mario Kart 8 comes out about 8 weeks after launch, nothing essential existed on PS4 at that point, but then it had plenty of good third party cross generation games, so it balances out imo.

spekkeh

Banned

You cracked it man. Now you can go back to ignoring some of the best games around. Everyone is crazy except for you.

Muzicfreq

Banned
But none of them were "essential" though. Infamous Second Son, Killzone, Knack? Nah.

Mario Kart 8 comes out about 8 weeks after launch, nothing essential existed on PS4 at that point.
Nothing is really essential except having games on a game console. What is deemed essential is more a matter of opinion not fact.

jonno394

Nothing is really essential except having games on a game console. What is deemed essential is more a matter of opinion not fact.

Ok, we'll ignore your "It truly only is essential due to the extreme lack of games." comment then, which comes across as trying to be more factual than opinion.

The game is "essential" because it apparently is an amazing game. That's the take home here. Doesn't matter that it's a port, eurogamer deem it an "essential" purchase for all switch owners due to its quality.

Fliesen

I am Setsuna? Neo Geo ports? Shovel Knight? all neat games, none of them "essentials". Zelda and Mario Kart, very much so.

It's just that - seeing as the Switch is likely going to reach a (way) higher installbase than the Wii U - there'll be a great number of players who haven't had access to the original version, MK8 deluxe is an essential game to own.

Also, the Switch is not only the successor to the Wii U, but also in part to the 3DS (even though Nintendo's still too coy about that - but for me that is 100% the case, it's already my 'play in bed handheld' of choice), and if you look at the generational leap from Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS to MK8D on the Switch (just check the DF video), you'll understand just how essential this game is.

Top Bottom