• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

So I just watched that MK8D review on IGN and the reviewer mentioned that there is no way to invite a friend to your game. Is there really no way to play with friends? Wtf!?

atmuh

So I just watched that MK8D review on IGN and the reviewer mentioned that there is no way to invite a friend to your game. Is there really no way to play with friends? Wtf!?
you can join a friend's game through the friends menu. you don't have to be invited

Wil348

You can play with friends. There's a friend menu in-game which you can use to join their game. No invites though sadly.

Scoops

Banned
Wow, 94 meta? Wasn't expecting that for an enhanced port of a 3 year old game. Was expecting high 80's.

I guess this is the definitive Mario Kart.

NoKisum

One thing I've been wondering that the reviews (at least that I saw) don't seem to cover: With the addition of holding two items now, is it possible to swap items manually?

Raitaro

One thing I've been wondering that the reviews (at least that I saw) don't seem to cover: With the addition of holding two items now, is it possible to swap items manually?

No it is not, unfortunately. GameXplain confirmed as much.

The only other thing this game is missing as far as I'm concerned (apart from even more DLC content and more incentives such as a shop or reward system of some kind to keep playing single player modes I guess) are actual award ceremonies after you complete cups. I miss that big fish!

I also wish it would have released a few days sooner so I could have picked up a copy to take along with me on our trip to Sweden. Can anyone from Sweden tell me if game boxes are in Swedish or English over there? I could pick it up there but maybe not if the box is unreadable (since I care about that stuff, still).

NoKisum

Damn that sucks, I'll just have to plan accordingly when picking up items.

Also, I know it's an option for online multiplayer, but for local, can two people play on one Switch against others? Or is it one person per systems?

Raitaro

Also, I know it's an option for online multiplayer, but for local, can two people play on one Switch against others? Or is it one person per systems?

You mean as in playing in splitscreen co-op online? I believe so but I'll let others with review copies confirm just to be sure.

Soul Lab

afaik for local play you can have 2 players per switch

ggx2ac

Wow, 94 Metacritic score.

So it's possible Switch will have at least three games in its first year with 90+ Metacritic score if Super Mario Odyssey rates well.

So it's possible Switch will have at least three games in its first year with 90+ Metacritic score if Super Mario Odyssey rates well.

Well Shovel Knight is in the 90's.

But yeah, its possible Mario is gonna score big unless the game is disappointing (doubt it but you never know)

OuterLimits

I imagine the new Splatoon game will score well, although 90s is unlikely. I expect it will be above 80 though, so the Switch will have some high scores in the first 6 months.

I know my desire to buy the system is increasing rapidly.

smash is bound to come out. I'll even bet this year. As long as it gets the MK8 deluxe treatment in content at least.

is pokemon eclipse, xenoblade chronicles 2 also comes out.. it will be pandemonium.

Passose

Banned
smash is bound to come out. I'll even bet this year. As long as it gets the MK8 deluxe treatment in content at least.

is pokemon eclipse, xenoblade chronicles 2 also comes out.. it will be pandemonium.
I really want to see the rivalry between Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Persona 5 so bad lol, a friendly one though

You can play with friends. There's a friend menu in-game which you can use to join their game. No invites though sadly.

Kinda nuts that this isn't an OS level function when it is on the 3DS (and one I did use quite often when I played MK7. Even if you couldn't communicate, it was nice realizing your friend was in your room. In-game just isn't the same even if the time saving isn't all that great between the two methods). Same could be said for the Wii U though. The idea of having to pick up my phone to do it in the future is even worse. Nintendo's management really still doesn't get it at all.

At the very least, MK8D should have been the start of an OS level join game function. Better would have been allowing you to chat with a friend in a public room. This needs to be in the next entry.

Ninja Dom

I think I've seen this. Maybe it was in the official commercial but I do believe you could do a 3 player local match using only 2 Switches. 2 on one Switch and another player on the other Switch.

Just realised the Nintendo store pre order bonuses are for the physical version. Do they send things out to arrive on release day? For what are very much novelty items I'm not bothered to wait an extra few days

0racle

I have not played MK since the 64 era.

- are the characters cosmetic? Or do each have their own play style ?

- same goes for the parts, do they have an upgrade system? Kits? Best combos etc or all visual.

Please have some depth....

Berordn

- same goes for the parts, do they have an upgrade system? Kits? Best combos etc or all visual.

Characters have stats based on weight class, and the parts modify those.

Actually, making new Kart combinations is one of my favorite parts of MK8. The stat changes are nice and add a degree of depth to the mix and match nature of picking a combo, but I honestly really like making a slick set of wheels with the changing body color schemes between characters. Fashion Kart is very much a thing for me.

For example, the Cyber Slick tires were MADE for combos with Iggy. I also love slapping the white Off Roaders on an ATV for Mario. Last but not least is Cushion tires on a Wiggler Kart with Baby Luigi.

Can't wait to see the new parts!

takriel

94? Damn, Nintendo already killing it. The best exclusives are on the Switch right now and this will likely extend to Mario this Holiday.

Red Devil

The fact of the matter is, besides unlocking car parts, there's no progression system. No real reward for being a beast because the points are accumulated essentially just from playing alot, and the rubberbanding is so ridiculous that even highly skilled players will take several losses.

Would it really have killed Nintendo to add a badge reward system like COD or some sort of trophy room? Apparently so. Online play is just a glorified time sink.

What is any hobby, period?

Vidiot

I just checked and you indeed COULD play the original MK8 with elimination rules and no time limit. It just had horrible race tracks instead of proper battle maps. Now MK8 Deluxe has proper battle maps but it forces timed battles and I'm not sure if you can just play with your friends instead of having coms on.

It's so fucking annoying! I just want classic elimination rules, no time limit, and the ability to turn coms off on actual battle maps! Every fucking time they fuck it up! Battle mode has sucked since MK Wii. Guess I'll still be playing either 64 or DS when my friends and I are in the mood for some MK battles. Fuck..... :/

Berordn

I just checked and you indeed COULD play the original MK8 with elimination rules and no time limit. It just had horrible race tracks instead of proper battle maps. Now MK8 Deluxe has proper battle maps but it forces timed battles and I'm not sure if you can just play with your friends instead of having coms on.

It's so fucking annoying! I just want classic elimination rules, no time limit, and the ability to turn coms off on actual battle maps! Every fucking time they fuck it up! Battle mode has sucked since MK Wii. Guess I'll still be playing either 64 or DS when my friends and I are in the mood for some MK battles. Fuck..... :/

It's not really true elimination, though? Even if you're knocked out, you can potentially still win by having popped the most balloons and continue to rack up your score in ghost mode. Score is still based on hits landed, not last man standing.

Neiteio

I'm getting this digitally. Easiest decision to go digital ever, really.

The reasons:

1) It's Mario Kart 8. I want to be able to play it at a moment's notice. Anywhere, anytime. No swapping of cartridges necessary!

2) I already own a physical copy of the WiiU version!

3) This is one of my favorite games ever. When I see its icon on the Home Menu, I want to know it'll boot up when I select it!

4) Getting this digitally allows me to keep Zelda in the cartridge slot so I have access to both at the same time!

Does Nintendo tie our purchases to an account of some sort now? Doesn't really matter — getting this digitally regardless!

Will likely do the same for ARMS and Splatoon 2. Can't wait!

jts

...hate me...
So no preload for this, right?

So weird that Nintendo did preload for a few games and then stopped doing it :/ come on.

The only other thing this game is missing as far as I'm concerned (apart from even more DLC content and more incentives such as a shop or reward system of some kind to keep playing single player modes I guess) are actual award ceremonies after you complete cups. I miss that big fish!

I also wish it would have released a few days sooner so I could have picked up a copy to take along with me on our trip to Sweden. Can anyone from Sweden tell me if game boxes are in Swedish or English over there? I could pick it up there but maybe not if the box is unreadable (since I care about that stuff, still).

The box will most likely be in English!

test_account

XP-39C²
Amazing score, but seeing that this is all an improvement over Mario Kart 8 (more stages (original MK8 didnt have the DLC ready when it was reviewed), new battle mode, new characters, better graphics etc.) i guess its no big surprise. A very solid package, looking forward to see how it sells :)

Berordn

So no preload for this, right?

So weird that Nintendo did preload for a few games and then stopped doing it :/ come on.

I don't think any Switch title to date has had a preload and after their little fiasco with Color Splash they're probably going to sit on introducing it to the system until they can ensure it won't happen again.

Can you even pre-order this digitally? I couldn't find the option on the e-shop.

I was looking into it this morning myself, but on http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/ the pre-order link just says it's available digitally at launch, so I'm guessing there's no digital pre-orders.

So that leads me to a question: does anybody know what time titles go up for release on the Switch eShop? Have they been available at midnight?

Top Bottom