• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
First screen of MK8 running in splitscreen with 4 players on the tablet:

4dy6Uzm.jpg

I love it, kinda cute.

Robin64

Yeah, for everything tested for loading times so far, internal > SD card > cart.

Mario Kart 8 will have the honour of being on internal for me.

jts

...hate me...
Wish there was download play for this game.

This looks like a very tortured experience.

No need for download play when any Switch player worth their salt is going to own a copy :p

It may take a while to surpass Zelda, but in any case it will become Switch's top selling game sooner or later.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

After playing some NeoGeo top down shooters in co-op on the same tablet, unless you sit very close your eyes will hurt... but then again young kids normally have good eyesight too and do not need glasses lol.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Incredible how far Nintendo pushes the "we will make you pay for the convenience of us saving manufacturing, shipping, and store margins costs" for games on the eShop... pre-order done right on Amazon UK - Prime: £42 with free shipping and Prime preorder discount of £2 = £40 for something with optional resale value vs £49 on the eShop.

Sure, you cannot lose the game in the digital version and you never have to swap Zelda out and you get slightly worse loading performance with the cart, but almost £10 off is nothing to sneeze at.

Bluth54

4dy6Uzm.jpg

I love it, kinda cute.

Man 4 people crowed around the screen trying to see your tiny portion of the screen would be awful.
I can't imagine any one doing 4 player same screen on the Switch screen unless they absolutely have to.

buzzth

Couldn't find a specific answer to this anywhere - I know 4 player split screen drops to 30fps, but what about in wireless play with multiple switches? Does the frame rate still drop in that case?

NinjaBoiX

I always scroll down to the negative reviews in these threads to see what the issues are, with MK8D it seems like "not huge value for money if you own the last game" is the only criticism to level at it.

I'll probably grab a switch somewhere down the line, this will def be one of my first buys!

Mr Swine

Banned
Incredible how far Nintendo pushes the "we will make you pay for the convenience of us saving manufacturing, shipping, and store margins costs" for games on the eShop... pre-order done right on Amazon UK - Prime: £42 with free shipping and Prime preorder discount of £2 = £40 for something with optional resale value vs £49 on the eShop.

Sure, you cannot lose the game in the digital version and you never have to swap Zelda out and you get slightly worse loading performance with the cart, but almost £10 off is nothing to sneeze at.

At least the game is cheap on Amazon U.K. here in all stores I know it's a whopping £5.3 more expensive than on the Eshop so far

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Sure, you cannot lose the game in the digital version and you never have to swap Zelda out and you get slightly worse loading performance with tge cart, but almost £10 off is nothing to sneeze at.
Eshop is RRP, UK retailers have almost never followed the RRP.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
At least the game is cheap on Amazon U.K. here in all stores I know it's a whopping £5.3 more expensive than on the Eshop so far

Not sure why they would do that... that is retail suicide... I guess they bank on people not being digital savvy enough to use Amazon...

Between the free TV shows and movies, the next day free shipping, Prime Now super fast delivery in London, and the many discounts like this one, etc... Amazon Prime is a really good value (that and Netflix ensure I do not need to really get any TV cable bundle or anything beyond FreeView/DVB-T). Even in books they undercut stores like Waterstones by £8-10 at times.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Eshop is RRP, UK retailers have almost never followed the RRP.

IIRC Nintendo actually addressed the digital price issue before and said that they do take into the account the convenience/added value of you not having to get your ass to a store or having to swap discs in the price (instead of passing down the savings, you are charged for convenience... not unlike other digital stores... consumers are sold the massive savings [part of it because companies have figured out that gamers will be happy if their company of choice make more money as if it directly benefits the gamers themselves, but maybe that is just try for general fanboys] and do not focus enough on the loss of ownership rights/first sale doctrine).

Also, if they really did not want to change their stance on digital pricing they could focus on adding more value to the digital version to make up for it. They prevent games value depreciation and the used sales market, they prevent gamers sharing and not needing to buy the game to play it, they prevent the rentals market, they do not have to manufacture them and ship them to stores, being able to pull the game from the store and from users' devices if they do wish, and stores do not get their cut...

That is massive for them... what do consumers get? Considering the loss of resale rights and not even being guaranteed to keep the game if the publisher wants it removed... we do not get nearly close of the value the seller now gets out of us, but that is just bitterness directed at the so called "evolution" that the digital marketplace brought.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
IIRC Nintendo actually addressed the digital price issue before and said that they do take into the account the convenience/added value of you not having to get your ass to a store or having to swap discs in the price (instead of passing down the savings, you are charged for convenience... not unlike other digital stores... consumers are sold the massive savings [part of it because companies have figured out that gamers will be happy if their company of choice make more money as if it directly benefits the gamers themselves, but maybe that is just try for general fanboys] and do not focus enough on the loss of ownership rights/first sale doctrine).

I'm talking more specifically of the UK where you'll rarely find anything at the RRP in comparison to somewhere like America. It's why some of the issues are even more pronounced.

4dy6Uzm.jpg

I love it, kinda cute.

Instead of quoting the "unplayable" posts, I'm going to say that this looks quite fun and totally does look playable.

I had my doubts about how comfortable it would be to play on the tiny screen in tabletop mode before I had a Switch, but now I'm pretty confident that even 4-player split screen would be decent. I mean even from this screenshot it looks perfectly fine. Once you zone into the game it's a lot easier to play than you'd think. This is coming from someone who played 4 player MKWii on an insanely small TV.

krumble

Yeah, Nintendo are the worst, no one else in the industry charges full price on their digital stores... /s

Firebrand

Couldn't find a specific answer to this anywhere - I know 4 player split screen drops to 30fps, but what about in wireless play with multiple switches? Does the frame rate still drop in that case?

It's a rendering thing. If you're displaying 1 or 2 players on the screen it'll do 60 FPS, number of network players won't matter.

vareon

4dy6Uzm.jpg

I love it, kinda cute.

I think this is playable on "emergency" situations, where you're nowhere near your TV but really wanted to have 4 players. Or kids wouldn't even mind since they like to gather and watch small screens anyway.

joker3782

Neo Member
I'm getting this digitally. Easiest decision to go digital ever, really.

The reasons:

1) It's Mario Kart 8. I want to be able to play it at a moment's notice. Anywhere, anytime. No swapping of cartridges necessary!

2) I already own a physical copy of the WiiU version!

3) This is one of my favorite games ever. When I see its icon on the Home Menu, I want to know it'll boot up when I select it!

4) Getting this digitally allows me to keep Zelda in the cartridge slot so I have access to both at the same time!

Does Nintendo tie our purchases to an account of some sort now? Doesn't really matter — getting this digitally regardless!

Will likely do the same for ARMS and Splatoon 2. Can't wait!

I want to get it digitally for the same reasons but the price on the eshop is way too high for me here in the UK. Its going for £49.99, where full priced games in the UK are usually £40. Got a physical copy preordered for £40.

ZeroX03

Banned
If you've got Fast RMX, you can already try four player split screen.

It's playable, but you've all got to be about as close as four people can get to the screen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, Nintendo are the worst, no one else in the industry charges full price on their digital stores... /s

Getting screeed elsewhere too makes me happier... but you are right, those greedy saps at PSN Store and Xbox Live Marketplace never ever have huge sales... couldn't they smarten up and offer say a big Easter sale or a buy £50 and get £10 back kind of offers... tsk tsk /s.

SuperSah

Banned
I am so excited for this. First time in MK8! It looks beautiful and I've been listening a lot to the OST and the Animal Crossing stuff is a huge nostalgia trip.

Question is, is it time to buy a Pro Controller?

giapel

Not sure why they would do that... that is retail suicide... I guess they bank on people not being digital savvy enough to use Amazon...

Between the free TV shows and movies, the next day free shipping, Prime Now super fast delivery in London, and the many discounts like this one, etc... Amazon Prime is a really good value (that and Netflix ensure I do not need to really get any TV cable bundle or anything beyond FreeView/DVB-T). Even in books they undercut stores like Waterstones by £8-10 at times.
I've recently discovered that Amazon Prime also offers unlimited online storage for photos. Unlimited. Consolidated services like that can provide insane value for money

KtSlime

I could not care less about digital download for retail games, they are far more of a hassle than need be, and you can't sell them. That said, Nintendo does allow developers to do sales on their store, it is completely up to the developer though if they want to take advantage of that. For instance, when KT released Romance of Three Kingdoms they had a 10% off launch sale in Japan. Nintendo also sells eShop codes to retailers, and they are free to charge a lower prices than the eShop (and some do).

Just because Amazon undercuts all the other retailers does not mean Nintendo should adjust the price on the eShop.

I can't believe that I will be playing MK8D in just 5 days!

Getting screeed elsewhere too makes me happier... but you are right, those greedy saps at PSN Store and Xbox Live Marketplace never ever have huge sales... couldn't they smarten up and offer say a big Easter sale or a buy £50 and get £10 back kind of offers... tsk tsk /s.
You want a game to launch on sale?

Man 4 people crowed around the screen trying to see your tiny portion of the screen would be awful.
I can't imagine any one doing 4 player same screen on the Switch screen unless they absolutely have to.

I mean, would that even be playable?

I foresee a lot of

tenor.gif

Though it looks serviceable enough :p

Did 3-player Halo 3 on a 4-inch, 480i, black and white screen once. Was actually still almost playable lol.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm going physical since with the AMAZONBIGTHANKS code a while ago it knocked the price down to £34. That's basically a 3DS game price for this monster of a title.

I also prefer physical to digital :D

Yes, it is time to buy a Pro Controller.

And yeah, I love how much Animal Crossing love this game gives. Heck, there are so many tunes for it!

Spring
Summer
Autumn
Winter
Results Screen

You reckon the Pro Controller is worth it then? I tend to play MK games pretty deeply and it seems it will offer the best way of play.

The Brewster results music is phenomenal! I had no clue Nintendo did a live OST for this. I'm SO excited :D

P.S - do I not have you on my friends list yet?? Send me your code via PM :)

gogogow

You are moving goalposts. How much a platform holder charges for their new games in their digital store and whether they have huge sales and other offers are two different things. Nintendo also had free games offers with MK8 on the Wii U and with certain 3DS games. Nintendo also had the customer loyalty program a.ka. exclusive Club Nintendo items. They all had their own offers and promotions. They just do it differently. I doubt you remember all that, maybe because you are biased...tsk tsk /s.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This splitscreen feature on the tablet would be cool if we could play 8P in LAN with only 2 Switch. I think I read it's not possible in this game though.

roytheone

I am kinda interested in this game, but will not buy it until we know more about the payed online service. Playing online will mainly be how I play this, and I don't want to buy something without knowing how much it will cost to keep playing next year. Have the same thing with splatoon 2, but I expect we will know more when that game launches.

Top Bottom