• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Jerry

Yeah same here, I even have Amazon prime and picked 1 day delivery so I don't see why it can't be at launch.

Just spoke to amazon they said it will be delivered on the 28th.

It just shows 29th because the item isn't in inventory at the moment:

Amazon UK said:
please do not worry I have checked the item will be released on April 28, 2017. And you will surely receive the item on the release date. As the item is not available in inventory right now system provided you Estimated Delivery Date of : Saturday, 29 April 2017. Please do not worry you will surely receive the item on the provided date as we ship the release date delivery item before one day of release and deliver on the release date.

Betty

Banned
Just spoke to amazon they said it will be delivered on the 28th.

It just shows 29th because the item isn't in inventory at the moment:

Oh that's good, I was seriously about to cancel on the 28th if it wasn't sent that day and just go digital, thanks.

jariw

Soooo the reviewers this gen aren't tougher as we all thought or maybe they just think Nintendo games are on a league of thier own?

Up untill recently 93 was the highest score in more than 3 years, Switch just got out and it already has 2 games above this benchmark.

1-2-Switch is a Nintendo game that is 57 on MC.

And Snipperclips is 81.

The original Splatoon for Wii U got a lot of score reductions because of the drip-feed approach (resulting in a low amount of content at release). If Splatoon 2 uses the same drip-feed approach, I expect it will also get lower review scores than its potential.

Soph

Nintendo bias sites like Nintendo World Report are clearly way too positive about this game and any other games just releasing on Nintendo.

Eat crow son! You know who you are.

Neifirst

Nintendo bias sites like Nintendo World Report are clearly way too positive about this game and any other games just releasing on Nintendo.

Eat crow son! You know who you are.

Maybe other Nintendo-centric sites are guilty of inflation, but Nintendo World Report has one of the lowest scores on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (85).

membran

Has this bit here,

It’s aggravating that there’s no way to invite players to join your matches, too.

from the IGN review been discussed already?

Maybe it was to be expected, with Nintendo's talk about that smartphone app apparently managing both voice chat and lobby-based matchmaking (I think?) back in January and the app still being a no-show, but what the above statement means is basically no private matches with friends and no partying up with your friends and be matched with some random players. You apparently can play online versus strangers by yourself, or together with another local player in split-screen, and that's it. Hm.

The full quote of that paragraph:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s online suite is still as barebones an experience on the Switch as it was on the Wii U. Some of its improvements are notable – for example, it’s faster to get you into a game, and you can finally swap characters or karts between races. But the Switch still feels like a hassle next to the convenience of other systems because you still have to use outside means (like your phone) to communicate with friends. It’s aggravating that there’s no way to invite players to join your matches, too. Considering this is the first major online multiplayer game for Switch, it’s disappointing to see that so little was done to smooth out that experience.

Robin64

^^ No, it just means you can't invite people. They can, however, join you. You can set a private lobby (or just be playing worldwide), they go to their friend list and see you playing, they hit join.

Has this bit here,

Maybe it was to be expected, with Nintendo's talk about that smartphone app apparently managing both voice chat and lobby-based matchmaking (I think?) back in January and the app still being a no-show, but what the above statement means is basically no private matches with friends and no partying up with your friends and be matched with some random players. You apparently can play online versus strangers by yourself, or together with another local player in split-screen, and that's it. Hm.

You can play with friends. You just have to join the friend's room yourself. This is how it was in the original MK8.

Forkball

Replace Link with Inklings for a preview of this Friday:

3bccb690114804f3c398b9ab7199bdaa.jpg

Having not followed Nintendo for a long time, I had no idea they did Legend of Zelda DLC. Is that a new thing? Last Mario Kart I played was the Wii one, and I didn't think there was non-Mario stuff in that one.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Soooo the reviewers this gen aren't tougher as we all thought or maybe they just think Nintendo games are on a league of thier own?

Up untill recently 93 was the highest score in more than 3 years, Switch just got out and it already has 2 games above this benchmark.

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

Zemm

Has this bit here,

It'll be like MK8 on the Wii U. You join friends from your friends list, there's no invite, you just click your friends name and "join game". There'll be private rooms you can setup that you'll be able to fully customise and race only with friends.

MK8 on Wii U had the best online setup of pretty much all of Nintendo's games, I wouldn't worry about it.

Forkball

Having not followed Nintendo for a long time, I had no idea they did Legend of Zelda DLC. Is that a new thing? Last Mario Kart I played was the Wii one, and I didn't think there was non-Mario stuff in that one.
Mario Kart 8 came out in Spring 2014, with two DLC packs that hit in fall 2014 and spring 2015. The first pack had Link with Zelda stuff, and the second pack had Animal Crossing characters with related goodies. MK8DX now has the Inklings as new non-Mario characters. Also if you haven't played MK since Wii, you are in a treat if you pick up this game (coming from someone who loves MKWii).

Breath of the Wild is a genre-defining game, and MK8 is simply the best Mario Kart. Nintendo doesn't typically release straight-up broken games, so that contributes to high scores. I do think Nintendo-only sites perhaps skew the average. Nintendo fans often look at Nintendo games in a different way than comparing them to other third party titles.

Tempted to cancel my physical pre order and go digital. I will basically be paying £10 extra for the convenience of not having to get off my sofa when I feel like a quick game. But I can see this being the kind of game I keep coming back to in short bursts. When do digital titles get "released"? Midnight for each respective time zone?

Plum

Tempted to cancel my physical pre order and go digital. I will basically be paying £10 extra for the convenience of not having to get off my sofa when I feel like a quick game. But I can see this being the kind of game I keep coming back to in short bursts. When do digital titles get "released"? Midnight for each respective time zone?

I'd join you if I weren't paying near £20 extra for tje digital version due to various price reductions. Paying that much just for a bit of convenience is tough.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

If I were you I'd stick physical. 4-5 years down the line you'd probably be able to resell the game for around £25, the convenience doesn't really counteract that. It's literally the only main advantage of Nintendo games always staying high in price so you might as well make use of it even if you have no current plans to

Mario Kart 8 came out in Spring 2014, with two DLC packs that hit in fall 2014 and spring 2015. The first pack had Link with Zelda stuff, and the second pack had Animal Crossing characters with related goodies. MK8DX now has the Inklings as new non-Mario characters. Also if you haven't played MK since Wii, you are in a treat if you pick up this game (coming from someone who loves MKWii).

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. Switch is my first Nintendo home console I've owned in years, but I loved playing Mario Kart with friends who owned them, but no one I knew had a Wii U.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So after debating about it, I ended pre-ordering the game the idea of playing Mario Kart 8 on the go is pretty nice.

Though I wonder if I will still be playing it once the on-line paywall go up.

Top Bottom