• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

big_erk

Poe's law.

What does Dontari Poe have to do with anything?
275px-Dontari_Poe_2014.JPG

Wait so playing local split screen, I can't do one grip + one Pro? That's annoying. One player is gimped.

you can as long as your playing in tv mode the article can be confusing its referring to if your playing in tabletop mode but at the same time are connected via wireless to another switch for wireless lan mode.

jts

...hate me...
Weird limitation, but ok. Probably ran into some freak technical issue or barrier. Unlikely to bother me, though.

Blues1990

Super Mario Kart: Koopa Troopa
Mario Kart 64: Toad
Double Dash: Toad
Wii: Toad
8: Rosalina
8D: INKLING GIRL

Mario Kart 64: Luigi
Double Dash: Koopa/Luigi/Daisy
MKDS: Shy Guy/Luigi/Rob
Wii: Daisy/Luigi/Diddy Kong/King Boo
MK8: Daisy/Luigi/Koopalings/Bowser
MK8D: KING BOO!

sensui-tomo

so i went to the theater and a comercial showed up for this and if this info was correct about controllers, they falsly advertised how it works in the comercial as it shows one person with the two joycons on that odd controller (i have no idea what its called) and the pro controller playing splitscreen.

so i went to the theater and a comercial showed up for this and if this info was correct about controllers, they falsly advertised how it works in the comercial as it shows one person with the two joycons on that odd controller (i have no idea what its called) and the pro controller playing splitscreen.

This can be done. You can use the Joy-Con Grip while playing split screen.

The only scenario in which this cannot be done is when you're playing local wireless across multiple systems. The system doesn't want to make that many bluetooth connections.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

sensui-tomo

This can be done. You can use the Joy-Con Grip while playing split screen.

The only scenario in which this cannot be done is when you're playing local wireless across multiple systems. The system doesn't want to make that many bluetooth connections.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

but can 8 people with 8 switches play locally in tablet mode (ala 2 joycons attached to the system)? Its bad enough nintendo just doesnt send a video showing how to play.

but can 8 people with 8 switches play locally in tablet mode (ala 2 joycons attached to the system)?

I dunno what the player restrictions are when playing in tablet mode (one person per Switch + local wireless) , but there's no reason why the system would have issues connecting to the Joy-Con in tablet mode just because you're playing local wireless. They have a physical connection to the system when attached.

Nosgotham

Just like mk8, Wii and 7. One of you joins an online lobby with random players and then you can join in their game and remain in the game as long as you want.

You will be returned to the lobby with all players after each race.

If you join your friend and their are in the middle of a race you will spectate until the race is over and then you will join the lobby

but can 8 people with 8 switches play locally in tablet mode (ala 2 joycons attached to the system)? Its bad enough nintendo just doesnt send a video showing how to play.
They've demonstrated this at various events so I guess so. Presumably if everyone connects to Wi-Fi this issue won't exist.

Unicorn

So I saw a new set of joycon grips that look slightly more comfortable than the previously highly rated Surge grips. I was holding off for a set that had better shoulder buttons and this new set certainly appears better but was wondering if anyone had experience? They came out about a week ago, so fairly new. Also I looked back at the Surge ones and they apparently damage the railing of the joycon leading to wobbling on the console? Anyone experiencing that? It's frustrating just playing the waiting game for these accessories that would potentially aid in controller comfort when the manufacturing process is still not acceptable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTHKRK9/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XH5PH95/?tag=neogaf0e-20

psychotron

So, err...

mario-kart-8-deluxe-controllers.jpg

You can't use the joycon grip in multiplayer? That's utterly ridiculous if so =/

EDIT: To clarify; after reading replies here and looking into it further, it looks like this is only for local wireless play. I err jumped the gun a bit there :'D

I'm confused. If I have the switch docked to my tv, can I use my pro controller while my wife uses the grip with two joycons?

JaseMath

I lied. I'm buying. The Prime discount, plus some Amazon reward points, and a trade for the Wii U version put my grand total around $11. You win, Nintendo.

Just like mk8, Wii and 7. One of you joins an online lobby with random players and then you can join in their game and remain in the game as long as you want.

You will be returned to the lobby with all players after each race.

If you join your friend and their are in the middle of a race you will spectate until the race is over and then you will join the lobby
Thanks so much!! That's great to hear

Not

Banned
This is easily my next Switch game, since I never played the Wii U one even once.

Just gotta finish Zelda, and I'm really enjoying taking my time with it. At least in Mario Kart I won't have to avoid spoilers everywhere

Robin64

I'm confused. If I have the switch docked to my tv, can I use my pro controller while my wife uses the grip with two joycons?

Yes absolutely.

The controller issue only crops up when you are in tabletop mode and linking wirelessly to another local Switch.

Do we know the framerate when playing online? Since that's pretty much exclusively how I play MK8, I'll be concerned if it runs worse than the Wii U version.

Firebrand

Is Lakitu is a bit of a jerk in this too? In MK7 he does those lovely Nelson-like "Hah-hah!" when he overtakes someone. If there's no Wiggler I guess he might be my guy.

Or one of them Koopa kids. Been a while, last game I played with those 7 in was... Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga?

J@hranimo

Banned
I lied. I'm buying. The Prime discount, plus some Amazon reward points, and a trade for the Wii U version put my grand total around $11. You win, Nintendo.

This is me in a sense. Thought about it during the weekend and realized I missed Battle Mode a lot. The Double Dash fanboy got excited seeing more Bob-omb Battle and Shine Thief gameplay too.

Went ahead and preordered on Best Buy, and with GCU it brings it down to ~$51.00 with tax. I'm back in the game!

Ninja Dom

I think I asked in the wrong thread but in the UK where is the best place to buy a digital code for this game?

I've only seen Amazon listing digital codes for sale. Nothing from official Nintendo store, Game UK or CD Keys.

Top Bottom