• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart: Arcade Gran Prix DX announced (Nintendo/Bandai Namco), due this summer

If this turns out to be Mario Kart WiiU, I'll be happy.

If it turns out this will have nothing to do with Mario Kart WiiU, I'll still be happy. Been on a MK binge as of late.

Sponge

Banned
If you look at the bottom of some of the screens you can Pac-Man and the character from Taiko no Tatsujin.

TheOGB

Banned
It's the third arcade Mario Kart featuring Pac-Man made by Namco. Nothing to get too excited about.

I, for one, am pleased with this news, however.

hmmmm

this better not be the Wii U Mario Kart don't mind this as a bonus but I want a real MKU

I'de venture there's a 95% chance this will never see the light of day on the Wii U at all. Nintendo could have made the original Mario Kart Arcade game available for purchase as an "arcade" game on WiiWare but they didn't. And it's probably because Nintendo felt like they should get 25cents for every time we played the game.

Orayn

What's the underlying hardware? Triforce Mk.III? Taito Type X2?

Screens are too low resolution to tell much. Since I have a hard time believing this is using their PS3-based boards, it could very well be re-using the engine of the other Arcade GP games and sticking with Triforce.

I'de venture there's a 95% chance this will never see the light of day on the Wii U at all. Nintendo could have made the original Mario Kart Arcade game available for purchase as an "arcade" game on WiiWare but they didn't. And it's probably because Nintendo felt like they should get 25cents for every time we played the game.

And apparently they don't care one bit that most people outside of Japan can't play it at all. :(

crinale

One interesting thing is, it runs on PS3 arcade board (Namco System357).
Of course MK will never come out on PS3 as a console so it doesn't really mean anything :)

?oe?oe

This looks very similar to the two other arcade games.

After playing the boring Sonic Racing, I want Mario Kart U now :(

ir9K4G29bJaon.gif

the last Mario Kart Arcade was completely independent of the Gamecube Mario Kart, and this looks like an extension of that, so I'm going to go ahead and say that the eventual Mario Kart U won't look anything like this.

hose photos remind me a lot of TANK TANK TANK

but I remember the first arcade Mario Kart from many years ago... meh... Sega should do F-Zero again... wake me up for that

Tevious

I really find it hard to get excited for Mario Kart nowadays, especially after the Wii version. What could Nintendo possibly bring to the table with yet another Mario Kart?

I'd like them to take a cue from MNR or LBP Karting and have a track toolset/editor. Or just have lots of DLC tracks (new and old) over time.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If that gifs supposed to be vomiting then E a D.

Sonic Transformed looks really great.
Yeah, but it's not a good look for Mario Kart. And I hope that EAD pun was on purpose.

If this turns out to be Mario Kart WiiU, I'll be happy.

If it turns out this will have nothing to do with Mario Kart WiiU, I'll still be happy. Been on a MK binge as of late.

eh the arcade versions has never been a indication what the console version will look like. And we should be happy over that considering the arcade version looks bland.

LuuKyK

<3 Mario Kart, would do THINGS to have one of these arcades. t_t

But yeah, about MKWiiU, I expect it to look better. Im sure it will be fun though.

Also Nintendo and Namco are in love apparently.

It is nice seeing Namco and Nintendo working together like this. Now, how about putting one of those Soul Calibur games on Wii U?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It really is odd that the previous ones didn't come home.

Mario Kart is one of the hugest selling titles of all time, and you let fully finished games just sit in the arcades... really?????

This more than likely has nothing to do with the Wii U version of Mario Kart.

Nintendo collaborated with Namco in 2005 for a Mario Kart/Namco mash-up arcade racer for Japanese arcades and I think the game was mostly developed at Namco with Nintendo just offering licensing and asset assistance.

This is pretty much guaranteed to be an extension of that and really shouldn't be construed as something related to the EAD-developed Mario Kart Wii U game.

Branduil

It really is odd that the previous ones didn't come home.

Mario Kart is one of the hugest selling titles of all time, and you let fully finished games just sit in the arcades... really?????

Nintendo probably just views the arcade games as advertisements for the "real" games.

Starting this rumor here:

Nintendo has handed Mario Kart Wii U duties to the Ridge Ever team at Namco. That is why we haven't seen or even heard rumors of an RR for wii u or next gen. Guys it makes perfect sense. Guys. I am sherlock.

zurce

Neo Member
As it seems like the graphics aren't good enough to be another Triforce iteration, it's more likely that it's the same (Type 3 i guess) board of GP2 so that means that could be emulated in a Wii (I mean if they don't bring it to merica') if it is it another board it's more likely that it's gonna be a Wii Based than a WiiU One so it still could possible being emulated on Wii if they don't change too much the specs or by the Dolphin Emulator

And in the weird case that this is a Taito Type X Board, well
Mario Kart for PC :p

BocoDragon

Or maybe they view arcade games as arcade games.

I mean we didn't get Fzero AX either.

I think it has to do with them giving Namco and Sega arcade-exclusive deals.

Mael

I think it has to do with them giving Namco and Sega arcade-exclusive deals.

Indeed sometimes I wonder what StarFox would have been, then I recall how Assault was...

To be fair, all the content from AX was in GX; it just had some insane unlocking requirements.

Yeah I remember that -_-'
hardcore indeed.

We never did see more Mario Kart arcade because the arcade scene is dead anyway I don't know why they should bother bringing them if the arcade scene is dead since the whole experience is more than just the ROM inside the cabinet and we know how Nintendo is asinine with their virtual console requirement...

BocoDragon

We never did see more Mario Kart arcade because the arcade scene is dead anyway I don't know why they should bother bringing them if the arcade scene is dead since the whole experience is more than just the ROM inside the cabinet and we know how Nintendo is asinine with their virtual console requirement...

Arcade ain't dead in Japan.

And I think most of the reason games like this exist is to maintain good relations between the insular Japanese industry anyway.

Pikma

Banned
If it's anything like the previous ones you probably don't want to, outside of the novelty of racing as Pac-Man and Mametchi they didn't look like they were all that fun. Gameplay clip for reference - see how long you can go before you want to strangle the announcer.

OMG, are you kidding me? the first time I saw that video I thought it was a mediocre fanmade game. I mean... wth?!

Top Bottom