• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart: Arcade Gran Prix DX announced (Nintendo/Bandai Namco), due this summer

Trike

Original screens:
ih4ggmK02uwZh.png

Hell yeah, Japanese James Franco is in this game.

dock

I was really disappointed with the arcade Mario Kart game. Were there even any corners? Boring sweeping tracks.

I've played the original Arcade GP. It was fun, but the kart handling is not very fast and responsive.

I can't really tell if the graphics are better than the original games, which were on Gamecube-based hardware.

ffdgh

Well it's good to see they're seemingly sticking with the MK7 setup for future mario karts.

Glidind and under water driving is good.

dock

Well it's good to see they're seemingly sticking with the MK7 setup for future mario karts.

Glidind and under water driving is good.

Oh that's a very good point! Yeah, that's good news!!

I've been curious about that too, and I'd hate to lose gliding. (underwater is more lame, but I'm sure it can be improved).

Lose the raccoon tail, but keep the gliding/water.

KNT-Zero

Nintendo is missing a huge opportunity by not releasing this games in their consoles. I tried both Arcade ones on Dolphin and, while they aren't as featured as Mario Kart Wii, they still would have made an awesome addition. Not to mention, they had new powerups and characters.
WTH Nintendo? :(

Branduil

They probably view the potential dilution of the brand as a bigger negative than the positives of porting it to home consoles.

Refyref

This is the first Nintendo related arcade game since Pokemon Battrio in 2008, IIRC. Although I doubt this means more incoming, since this is based on a Namco board rather than a Nintendo specific one, and the Triforce board is too old, likely the reason this isn't using it.
I do wonder how the game will turn out, but I doubt it would be anything noteworthy, since the last two were pretty bad.

daakusedo

For the game itself, at first glance, tracks are in the same style as the first one, more racing than kart, and given it was not particularly fast, you have the quality of neither, so nothing really to expect.
But, if the mk7 additions seen here are a clue to them being in mk8, that's all good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nintendo is missing a huge opportunity by not releasing this games in their consoles. I tried both Arcade ones on Dolphin and, while they aren't as featured as Mario Kart Wii, they still would have made an awesome addition. Not to mention, they had new powerups and characters.
Just throwing more items at Mario Kart isn't going to do anyone any favours. See: MKWii. Glad they toned it down in 7.

big_z

first mario kart game was garbage and this looks the same. hopefully nintendo doesnt port this for wiiU or if they do the tracks are nothing more than an unlockable bonus in the wiiU game kind of like f-zeroGX had the AX tracks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Heh, we still have Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 in our arcades.

Pac-Man for Smash? But Bamco seems to be keen in promoting Taiko lately so maybe him too.

Indeed sometimes I wonder what StarFox would have been, then I recall how Assault was...

Considering how Assault's multiplayer was the best of the series, Star Fox Armada (iirc) would have probably been Assault's multiplayer.

tkscz

I've played the current Mario Kart arcade game (one at my local Game Works) and it's pretty boring. I hope they fixed that.

There were two Mario Kart Arcade GPs, not just the first one in 2005. It did seem like the series was abandoned, so it's surprising to see a third one.

And from what I've played of the arcade ones, I really didn't find them that fun. I'm sure they're "better with lots of friends" games (I only had one playing against me the last time), but the tracks are nothing like the Mario Kart designs, the limited item system basically means you can get stuck with awful items the entire match... and that announcer...

Pociask

It really is odd that the previous ones didn't come home.

Mario Kart is one of the hugest selling titles of all time, and you let fully finished games just sit in the arcades... really?????

Probably didn't want to taint the brand by releasing those boring stinkers where people could actually play them.

Interesting they got the hang gliders and underwater sections in the game. Could these be staying as a permanent addition to the franchise or maybe Namco is just giving the ideas one more go for fun? I personally wouldn't mind them staying but I'm not sure.

bumpkin

I doubt this will ever make it to Wii U or is MK8.
This is my guess. And if my guess is correct, I'm okay with that. I always thought it was a shame that the first Mario Kart GP didn't come out for home consoles. We got Double Dash instead which was arguably the least enjoyable of the recent Mario Kart games, at least for me.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Fingers crossed for

No more horrible announcer.

The graphics on these games are always slick and they look good but the level design and gameplay isn't Mario Kart console standards.

Like many said, I doubt it has anything to do with what will we see at E3 but it's still kind of cool.

Ezalc

IIRC the first two arcade Mario Kart games were terrible, so there isn't much to get excited about here.

How's this possible? Dolphin is a GC/Wii emulator only, correct?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One of the Arcade games had a Diamond City level, so that's cool.

They need to bring in WarioWare characters to the Mario Kart/Sports Universe, imo. That'd be neater than relying on the random mooks/babies they've been using.

Top Bottom