• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Odyssey is #10 for 2017 on Amazon. Will it end up the best selling Swich game?

Super Mario Odyssey is # 1 on Amazon (US) right now, and it has been for a while, even beating the unstoppable Playstation Store Cards. It's actually # 10 for the year, and it hasn't even been released! Will it outship BOTW and Mario Kart 8 DX, which have now shipped over 4 million each? Could it end up as the best selling Switch game of 2017?

I think with bundles and the holiday it will outsell BOTW and Mario Kart 8 DX for the year. However, its biggest competition for # 1 selling Swich game ever will be mainline Pokémon, given that it's Pokémon and both versions of the games are counted as one. As a result, 3 out of 4 of the best selling 3DS games were Pokémon. So maybe it could finish in the top 3 overall.

I think Mario Kart will always be ahead.
Might overtake Zelda eventually but the Switch version of BotW was more popular than Switches originally!

I think it's likely. Without being given hard sales numbers, I'd expect the two current best-selling Switch games are BOTW and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, both of which are also available on Wii U and millions of Wii U owners played them on that platform and don't plan on re-buying those games again on Switch.

Mario Odyssey is definitely the biggest Switch-exclusive game so far and a prime reason for people to buy that system. It may not be the best selling Switch game forever, but it's likely to be the highest selling so far.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I believe Switch be close to 12 millions by end of the year, and Mario may reach 7 millions. Japan will diminish the attach rate.

Dyle

Nah, it might beat BoTW/Splatoon 2 globally in 2017, but it won't come close to Mario Kart, especially not in lifetime sales. Pokemon and Mario Maker will handily destroy it too

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
talking about best selling game of "all time" on a plattform that isnt even a year old seems unnecessary.

But yeah it will perform well.

Zedark

Yup, saw it a few hours ago. A storm is definitely brewing. I wonder if it will be the best-selling game, though. I think MK8D and/or BOTW will stay ahead by virtue of being on the market for many more months. Still, SMO will be a massive game, and if the storm is perfect it might even end up as the best-selling Switch game of the year! Good tidings for Nintendo for sure, hopefully they have a lineup for next year that approaches this year's to at least some degree.

sinonobu

Banned
It's definitely not going to be the best selling one cuz Pokemon.

But yeah it will definitely be amongst the best selling titles.

I think Mario Kart will always be ahead.
Might overtake Zelda eventually but the Switch version of BotW was more popular than Switches originally!

It's not touching mario kart

mario_kart_overlapping_line_chart.jpg

I think it's likely. Without being given hard sales numbers, I'd expect the two current best-selling Switch games are BOTW and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, both of which are also available on Wii U and millions of Wii U owners played them on that platform and don't plan on re-buying those games again on Switch.

Tell that to every Wii U owner who's bought a Switch and did buy those games again on the same platform. I really think people keep underestimating the audience for having high quality older games on a portable. Hell, the biggest Switch game that releases before Black Friday is a portable version of Skyrim! That audience includes me by the way. I've done similar with games with Ocarina, SM64 and many more.

As for the OP's question: No. I see too much on the horizon that could beat Odessy in terms of sales like 2D Mario, Pokémon and Animal Crossing. But that doesn't mean that Odessy isn't going to sell well. We've had 2 portable 3D Mario platformers and both have sold more then 11 million copies. That's what i'm expecting Odessy to do.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why are we talking about the best selling game for a system less than a year old? I'm looking forward to Odyssey releasing, but I just find the question by the OP absurd. It's something you bring up years into a system when a lot of games are established. The question should have been, will Mario Odyssey outsell Mario Kart and Zelda?

notaskwid

Individual SKU, I could see it.

BOTW and MK8DX are hobbled by the fact that they also have Wii U versions imo. BOTW less so, but still. Zelda isn’t as big a seller as Mario typically anyway.

I see Odyssey doing 10 mil easily.
Maybe, but not this year.
Pubg already sold over 10M this year. Maybe GTA 5 and WildLands too.

WTH....The game is not even out yet... and is already the third best selling game on Amazon this year. Mario Odyssey is going to be HUUUUUGEEEEE this christmas.

Top Bottom