• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Voice Actor is stepping down as voice actor to become NIntendo Ambassador

Robb

Gold Member
Wow, end of an era!
metal-gear-solid-salute-62nyol9xoti6qi3p.gif

Last edited:

Aretak

When Japanese companies have no use for you anymore, but instead of firing you, they demote you a pseudo-job, like sitting by the windows.
Just like when Ken Kutaragi got booted and replaced with Kaz Hirai after the PS3 debacle and was given the role of "Honorary Chairman" instead.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
A great run but it had to end sometime. I'm surprised it lasted as long in the age of offended on other's behalf. Mario finally moving on from the stereotype so the movie has finally severed that tie. Can't sack the man as it would be awful pr. We've seen how bitter the Hayter crowd were with the Metal Gear Series, especially considering how awful he was in Peace Walker.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I still remember when he showed up in a video announcing Nintendo would bring the Wii u for Brazil, but speaking Brazilian Portuguese, a first for Nintendo at the time. Maybe he will do more of that.

Just hope this has nothing to do with him not voicing Mario on the movie. I really don't want repeat of the Bayonetta situation.

They finally had enough of his self-promotion.

It's inescapable when you're the voice of Mario, but Nintendo would rather not couple themselves to a person ala "Jesse McCree" where they have to cut ties when your personal dirt gets unearthed.

AI Mario voice it is.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I always thought that they can just re-use all the recordings of him they already have if he died. However, keep using him while he's alive. Why not?

Astral Dog

Damn, end of an era. Not a lot of characters have had the same VA stretching out as long as mario did, hell in the same time span sonic has had what, four VA’s?
It helps that Mario doesn't speak dialogue beyond yahoo!, its a me Mario! and Mama Mia!

At least we got his cameo voice in The Super Mario Bros. Movie before he retired

Maybe they'll use an AI representation of his voice going forward for continuity?

Setzer

I hope this happened in good faith. "Don't worry he's an ambassador now" sounds like some sort of window tribe deal, ngl.

But then again, he's in retirement age. Will be missed!
I doubt it happened in good faith and he was most likely pushed out of the role. Nintendo did him dirty by not letting him be the voice of Mario in the movie.

Why don't they just re-use his voice samples over and over. As if they hadn't been doing that over and over. Mario sounds the same to me in every game. Do they record the same exclamations over and over? It's not like Mario has Skyrim dialog.

Jinzo Prime

I kinda weirded out by all these people saying to "use old recordings," or "train an AI voice!"

Like, this is the man's life's work! Let him retire the voice with dignity and not drag it out forever with a computer program. I would hate for my voice to be copied, owned, and manipulated by my employer, forever.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This was definitely because of the movie, even though he is old. Good luck Charles, I hope you continue to have fun. You are very special to me.❤️

Last edited:

gaheris

Why don't they just re-use his voice samples over and over. As if they hadn't been doing that over and over. Mario sounds the same to me in every game. Do they record the same exclamations over and over? It's not like Mario has Skyrim dialog.
It seems that they might go into a new direction with how they use Mario in future games and that might necessitate more dialogue or the need for new samples. Instead of having Charles Martinet having to do more dialogue, it makes sense to start a transition that allows more flexibility for whatever they will do in the future.

Last edited:

Sojiro

That's too bad, no one will be able to top Martinet with Mario's voice, you will be missed man. Hope he enjoys the new position.

RCU005

Mickey has had three voice actors and no one has ever complained. People retire, die or move on. The fact that people barely noticed any difference in the trailer, means they are doing a great job.

Mario's voice is iconic the same way Mickey is, so they will find someone that is able to replicate it as good as possible. the way it sound so far, they did find the right person.

Top Bottom