• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein, " Gears of Wars maps to cost at first, then free a few months later."

DrXym

cjelly said:
You people are stupid.

You realise the more people who buy the maps, the more chance there is of more map packs, don't you?

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'll be buying them.

Except of course Epic's business model has ALWAYS been to give away maps and now it is Microsoft which is interfering with the way they want to release their games. I wonder how this affect things such as servers and mods.

Tieno

Instead of releasing free maps Epic should 'release' free dedicated servers for gold subscribers.

jimbo

Banned
You know for a company as rich as MS they really have a tough problem with smart decisions. You ALWAYS do what's best for yourself AND your customers in business, but this is a poor way of doing so.

They could have easily charged for the maps on SILVER accounts, while offering them for FREE for GOLD accounts. Then everyone not only understands, but then you might turn that $5 into a $50 subscription because a SILVER account holder would eventually just go ahead and pay $5 a month for LIVE rather than a map pack every month.

I don't see the big deal.

Course I'm an Xbot so I guess it goes with the territory. :/
I really need to figure out a way to shake this title.

jimbo

Banned
Oh and another thing about this situation. GAF must be really confused with all these cries of foul. I think there are a lot of people confused about the relationship between Epic and MS for this game because Epic has been known to publish their OWN games. But in reality Epic needs to stfu. For THIS game, Epic is basically no dfferent than AM2 to Sega, ND to Sony or Bungie to MS.

For THIS game Epic is basically working FOR MS. And how ridiculous would it be if AM2 or Naughty Dog told their publishers (aka parent companies) what to do? The only reason Epic is even talking right now is because GOW is such a success but if they want to run things...it's simple...PUBLISH YOUR OWN GAME NEXT TIME!

That's why MS is saying we are not forcing anyone to do anything. Because they are NOT. They're doing what THEY want to do with THEIR game.

If Epic publishes their next Unreal game, I promise you MS can't do jack about it, if they decide they want to release free stuff.

jimbo said:
Oh and another thing about this situation. GAF must be really confused with all these cries of foul. I think there are a lot of people confused about the relationship between Epic and MS for this game because Epic has been known to publish their OWN games. But in reality Epic needs to stfu. For THIS game, Epic is basically no dfferent than AM2 to Sega, ND to Sony or Bungie to MS.

For THIS game Epic is basically working FOR MS. And how ridiculous would it be if AM2 or Naughty Dog told their publishers (aka parent companies) what to do? The only reason Epic is even talking right now is because GOW is such a success but if they want to run things...it's simple...PUBLISH YOUR OWN GAME NEXT TIME!

That's why MS is saying we are not forcing anyone to do anything. Because they are NOT. They're doing what THEY want to do with THEIR game.

If Epic publishes their next Unreal game, I promise you MS can't do jack about it, if they decide they want to release free stuff.

Actually, there are reports of devs being unable to provide free content like levels. But that discussion is already being held at another topic

Andokuky

Banned
jimbo said:

Wrong. It's still MS's platform and they can still tell you what you can release and what you can't release. Just like releasing a retail game, DLC has to pass MS's approval before they will allow it on Live.

What does it matter anyway? The people who made the game wanted them to be free, instead MS forces an alternative that sucks. I'd rather them of just made it never free because now people have incentive to wait and that is going to split the userbase online.

FightyF

Banned
It depends, if the map pack is large, then I'll pick it up.

I bought GRAW's map pack because there was quite a bit to it. It was a rather hefty download.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
armubaba said:
Annex itself will be free. Speaking of Annex, Gamevideos has got a preview up for it. Seems pretty fun.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/10590

Looks like no one even noticed this - awesome, it looks just like I envisioned it would be, but it'll still so much cooler to see it and hear it in action...

I shall be enjoying this for free on my ten or so maps this week, and with my 4 new premium maps whenever they come out on day one - love ya Epic!

Top Bottom