• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein teases Unreal Tournament comeback, [More Today]

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/985321-The-new-UT-Open-Tournament?p=31823215#post31823215

I guess Open Tournament has nothing to do with the new project and they haven't talked to Epic at all.

I really doubt the game is going back to 2k4 style gameplay. The changes made to UT3 were made in part because Epic thought that game (and 2k3, which was made by Digital Extremes) was a step in the wrong direction and it had some pretty bad balance issues.

That being said the perfect game would probably have UT99 runspeed, UT3 gravity/air control and weapon balance, and the 2k4 doge jump.

3f5a00acf72df93528b6bb7cd0a4fd0c.jpeg

Orayn

Don't understand the hype - can't speak for PC users but URT3 didn't even make a ripple on consoles, right?

Not really, which is an indication that making console versions at all was kind of a misfire on Epic's part. They should have focused their efforts on meeting the expectations of PC players, which they really didn't.

Xyber

Don't understand the hype - can't speak for PC users but URT3 didn't even make a ripple on consoles, right?

Well Unreal Tournament really isn't a game for consoles, a controller is just way worse in a game like this. And when it was released, people were all about that CoD gameplay and that's one reason why it didn't work on any platform really. Can't speak for the quality of the game since I've only played it briefly.

I don't think a new UT game would do well on consoles today either. But do it right and don't overprice it, then it might be successful on PC.

I sure would like a good arena shooter, I'm tired of military shooters year after year.

Miker

I think UT3 also came in that awkward junction between the remnants of the old PC era and the new Steam PC era. Steamworks wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is now, and the Orange Box had just released. Epic wasn't on the Steam train yet, which led to them relying on Gamespy as UT3's server backend. It was an awful choice that became progressively more awful in hindsight as Steamworks became the de facto multiplayer tool for most games. Even when they moved it to Steamworks with the Black Edition, they couldn't make multiplayer fully Steamworks, and I think that also hurt it.

akaoni

Banned
I've managed to clock up 7 hours playing UT3 on and off, one thing that's striking me more and more is the gameplay changes with ballistics favoured and how quick you need to be on the trigger have made the game feel extremely ping dependent, playing with 60+ ping feels like people with 40+ are playing a game several steps ahead and I have to lead shots like flak prim. differently. Maybe I'm just bad.

BHK3

Banned
I've managed to clock up 7 hours playing UT3 on and off, one thing that's striking me more and more is the gameplay changes with ballistics favoured and how quick you need to be on the trigger have made the game feel extremely ping dependent, playing with 60+ ping feels like people with 40+ are playing a game several steps ahead and I have to lead shots like flak prim. differently. Maybe I'm just bad.

Lol I saw that edit.

I just have 0 hopes that this will be something that impresses me, what I want a straight fully fledged UT2K14 or UT4 or whatever. A straight up new game in the series, very serious endeavor and not some F2P junk or subscription based or fucking anything like that, I JUST WANT A VIDEO GAME NO STRINGS ATTACHED. I don't want to hear that it can run on every tablet like that market actually gives a shit about that kind of stuff, I don't want it on consoles, I want no microtransactions, I want the release trailer to be Malcolm and Xan to be having a 1v1 with the unreal theme playing.

Yet the threat of some F2P thing or just a remake is so real that I have to feel this way.

"Yet the threat of some F2P thing or just a remake is so real that I have to feel this way."

They just said a month ago that there were no plans for a new Unreal Tournament just one month ago. I doubt that if that changed they'd be announcing it so soon.

Though, they could've been sly with their words and are licensing out UT to someone else, but that would be...frightening.

DocSeuss

"Yet the threat of some F2P thing or just a remake is so real that I have to feel this way."

They just said a month ago that there were no plans for a new Unreal Tournament just one month ago. I doubt that if that changed they'd be announcing it so soon.

Though, they could've been sly with their words and are licensing out UT to someone else, but that would be...frightening.

UNLESSS... they licensed it out to a new CLIFFYB studio.

Sorry, I got excited by an idea. D:

belushy

Banned
UNLESSS... they licensed it out to a new CLIFFYB studio.

Sorry, I got excited by an idea. D:

Lol, I actually had the exact same idea. Its too perfect.

For real though, I think that they are licensing it out to someone else, if the announcement really has nothing to do with the Open Tournament project on the UE4 forums. The question here would be, who (other than CliffyB of course :p) are possible candidates?

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
The further Cliffy B stays away from this the better. The last thing he said about Unreal was that he wanted to reboot the original game as an RPG. Just...ugh.

DocSeuss

The further Cliffy B stays away from this the better. The last thing he said about Unreal was that he wanted to reboot the original game as an RPG. Just...ugh.

Um, the original Unreal as a first-person RPG hybrid would be AMAZING AS BALLS. Like, seriously, there were monsters that were allies--imagine actually being able to talk to them.

(kudos for those of you who get the reference)

DieH@rd

Banned

I personally would like for Unreal to go back to its roots. Visually stunning singleplayer campaign + MP package.

I would like the same to happen to Quake. Reboot both franchises, make them appealing to both SP and MP crowd, just as it was 15+ years ago.

"no plans" is as meaningless as PR speak gets. we've heard that dozens of times when a game was already in development. I never read anything into that statement. It's not a confirmation that something is happening, but it's not a valid denial in my eyes either.

gogoud

Open world unreal with rpg elements would be awesome!!

But somehow I think I'll be disappointed. It'll prolly be a 3rd person f2p cod style shooter. :(

Icefire1424

Subbed, and for the love of all that is good and holy please be good. Perfect timing in my case since I'm actually playing through UT2004 as we speak. Only a few more Assault matches to go (stupid Ion tank one kicking my ass).

Already said, but needs to go back to the tournament format, get the announcers and the original music style back. And level design.

Just restating what's already been said, but really want to see this be good. The original Unreal Tournament is what made me a PC gamer.

Phil4000

I hope its PC only again this time around, console players don't need (doesn't really work well with a controller) or really appreciate the twitch shooter imo....

Tain

I'd be cool with multiplatform if it's, like, Quake Live to Quake Arena Arcade multiplatform, lol. But that's not how these things work!

EVIL

Open world unreal with rpg elements would be awesome!!

But somehow I think I'll be disappointed. It'll prolly be a 3rd person f2p cod style shooter. :(
We are talking about unreal tournament, not unreal here. So twitch arena shooter.

nikos

YES! FINALLY! Hope there's a strong Instagib community.

Was so disappointed when people weren't playing UT3. I still don't understand why. I've been playing since the UT99 beta and UT3 was just fine.

YES! FINALLY! Hope there's a strong Instagib community.

Was so disappointed when people weren't playing UT3. I still don't understand why. I've been playing Instagib since the UT99 beta and UT3 was just fine.
I hated the Character models and bloom abuse.

Cool, I remember playing lots of UT04 so many years ago and UT3 was no 04, but it was still UT at it's core and that was decent fun. But I don't think past games are going to matter when the new UT gets announced to be F2P. The possibility of F2P seems very high, unfortunately.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
UC2 was more fun than UT3, which says a lot about UT3 really. Vehicles, story, art and level design in UT3 was a step back IMO. The game just didn't have the magic.

Icefire1424

UC2 was more fun than UT3, which says a lot about UT3 really. Vehicles, story, art and level design in UT3 was a step back IMO. The game just didn't have the magic.

Hoverboards were the downfall. Well, one of many. Think UT3 largely had an identity crisis, as some elements of what made UT back in the day great (namely the weapons and some of the environments) were maintained, but features like the War and Vehicle CTF modes were just confusing. Tough to be a twitch shooter when large vehicles over a vast expanse of land are part of the gameplay. That, and the story was horrific ("we need to exhaust their respawner!").

Gimme frenetic twitch action in unique settings with the techno music blaring and the announcer calling out every headshot and I'll be a happy man.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
UT3 vehicles were great and a huge step above the previous vehicles. UT2004 vehicles were fun until you realized unbalanced and relatively worthless most of them were. Scorpion was flat out so bad in competitive ONS maps they would replace it with the Manta. Hellbender was nothing more than a glorified sniper turret unless you could manage to get somebody in the side seat, which never happened. Manta was stupid powerful.

The issue with UT2k4 vehicles was they all died to Shocktape stupid fast. Are you in the air with a Raptor/Cicada? You're getting blasted like a paper plane in a tsunami. Are you driving a Hellbender or Scorpion? You're dead before you get close to anyone. The Raptor was so bad it was actually only ever used as a hard counter to the Goliath in competitive play, it couldn't deal damage fast enough to not die to foot solider unless you crushed them. The Goliath and the Manta were the only vehicles that had a clear advantage over a foot soldier with the Shock Rifle, everything else had a VERY specific role or just died insantly to anyone that was halfway competent.

UT3 vehicles applied armor to every vehicle sans the Manta and Viper, so they took reduced damage from normal weapon fire to compensate for their huge easy to hit hitboxes (I have no idea why UT2004 didn't do this). They also took away splash damage bullets from the Manta because you're using the fastest vehicle in the entire game that kills dudes on foot super easy, you don't need splash damage bullets on top of that. The new Hellbender is freaking amazing and I don't know why the driver didn't get to use the Skymines before. The back turret is way too nerfed, only doing 150 damage max shot instead of 200, but the vehicle is way better overall. Scorpion is a very useful vehicle instead of being complete and total garbage. The Raptor is a legitimate threat with more damaging bullets that have larger splash damage. The Shock Rifle could also no longer knock vehicles around like it could in UT2004 so not being shot around like a ragdoll when you were driving a giant metal vehicle was pretty cool. UT3's Cicada is pretty janky to use and the Scavenger is the worst vehicle in the entire game, the Nightshade is also pretty stupid but only because you can't destroy spider mine traps. Other than that UT3 nailed the vehicle balance and I hope if vehicles come back they use that as a base instead of 2k4 vehicles.

The Orb does need to be looked at. I admire them trying to fix Onslaught's terrible stalemates that go on forever but there's probably a better way to do it. I like the Orb I just think it could be implemented better.

I think it'd be fun if it had character creator with sliders and different armors and stuff. Personalization for people who haven't messed with 3D modeling.

DocSeuss

Wait...people didn't like UT3? It was my favorite shooter on the PS3 until Killzone 2 came out. The mods made this game godly.

Well, there's your problem right there. You thought Killzone 2 was a good game. :(

Seriously, UT3 had an awful lot of problems, especially in terms of visual communication, level design, weapon balance, netcode, story...

Actual movement and aiming were nice, but that's about it.

DrPreston

Wait...people didn't like UT3? It was my favorite shooter on the PS3 until Killzone 2 came out. The mods made this game godly.

Epic basically had to ruin the game to make it playable on consoles. The UT fanbase has always been PC centric, so when UT3 came out and was clearly gimped to be enjoyable with a controller it naturally upset a lot of fans.

Top Bottom