• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marry Me - Season 1 |OT| From the creator of Happy Endings and pennydance.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was pretty great. Good chemistry of the leads, I had a good couple of laughs.

I was already a fan from the promo clip months back and now I'm hooked.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought that was a pretty fun start. I liked Casey Wilson a lot (pretty much all of her scenes were fun to watch) but Ken Marino was a bit iffy for me. He was okay, I suppose, but for whatever reason, I just can't like him in anything other than Children's Hospital.

Vert boil

30eyerollcro9u.gif

That was pretty bad. I'll give it a few more but I doubt it will improve much.

Asbel

Ok, I love a good rant. Show's got me. Should use a rant in a promo.
bearythebear said:
Good episode. You could make easy comparisons to Happy Endings, but I feel like this has a kinda dark edge to it. Dunno if anyone else noticed it.
Cuz the flaws of the leads (lies and name calling) do hurt those around them.

ivysaur12

Banned
New episode tonight.

Move Me

10/21/2014 (09:01PM - 09:30PM) (Tuesday) : JAKE SETTLES INTO ANNIE'S APARTMENT WHILE GIL RELOCATES TO AN ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT BUFFET RESTAURANT - Jake (Ken Marino) moves into Annie's (Casey Wilson) apartment and she begins to feel the pinch of having to share her space with someone. She confesses her claustrophobia to her dads Kevin 1 (Tim Meadows) and Kevin 2 (Dan Bucatinsky) but her stress continues to mount. Meanwhile, Gil (John Gemberling) discovers an all-you-can-eat buffet where he can eat for one low price all day - as long as he never leaves the restaurant. Sarah Wright Olsen and Tymberlee Hill also star.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I didn't like tonight's episode nearly as much as the pilot. It was... okay.

Saty

Yep, considerable dip from the pilot. Didn't really laugh throughout. While i enjoyed the pilot even when most of the situations were in the trailers before. Gimme more Denna (the non-bottox variety).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The best thing to come out of this episode is the fact that the 24-hours-at-a-buffet thing actually more or less just played out in real life:

Tan Shen, 26, from Chengdu in China's southwest Sichuan Province, was recently dumped. And as one does, she decided she needed some comfort food. But not just any comfort food: Only the blend of 11 secret herbs and spices that makes Colonel Sanders's fried chicken the choice of discerning gourmands worldwide would soothe her pain. (Unless there's a Popeye's available?)

Tan stopped off at a KFC, located near at a train station right by her house, but decided to really double down***: She phoned in sick from work and stayed a whole week at the KFC.

"I hadn't planned on staying there long, I just wanted some chicken wings," Tan said, according to Yahoo. "But once I got in there and started eating I decided I needed time to think. I didn't want to go back to my apartment because it was full of memories of him. So I stayed."

http://www.people.com/article/woman-spends-week-kfc-breakup-china

I still enjoyed it. Had some good laughs and I am enjoying more screentime for the supporting cast. Not so much of Gil though, but Kevins and the two girls are enjoyable to me.

ivysaur12

Banned
I still enjoyed it. Had some good laughs and I am enjoying more screentime for the supporting cast. Not so much of Gil though, but Kevins and the two girls are enjoyable to me.

Kay is winning, because she seems at this point to be the most well-realized secondary character. She needs to be paired with Gil for a few episodes so you can maybe try to mine humor from that? That's what I would do.

Sober

Kay is winning, because she seems at this point to be the most well-realized secondary character. She needs to be paired with Gil for a few episodes so you can maybe try to mine humor from that? That's what I would do.
I'm curious how far they might do pair-offs ala Happy Endings did; obviously not the same case but there are the five there they could play with (I don't know if the two Kevins would ever get split except amongst Annie and Jake though).

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm curious how far they might do pair-offs ala Happy Endings did; obviously not the same case but there are the five there they could play with (I don't know if the two Kevins would ever get split except amongst Annie and Jake though).

You saw that a biiiiiit in this episode. They still need to figure it out, though. And I really don't think that Dennah and Jack are that well developed at this point, which is a problem. And Gil is "developed", though I think his character is deeply problematic for the series going forward.

maxcriden

Very good so far. I agree about the concerns about Gil, but I think they'll pull a Happy Endings and make him (and all of the tertiary characters) more well-rounded than just their archetypes imply at this point.

Ugh. I watched the pilot and the 2nd episode and it feels like a throwaway NBC sitcom akin to that Olivia Munn one that got cancelled...Happy Endings this is not

I'm out...

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
sigh, the fiance is WOEFULLY miscast, and their irritating friend (the hefty hipster or whatever with the bowl cut) can go.

I watch this just for Penny from Happy Endings <3 though the rest of the cast doesn't measure up to that show :/

ivysaur12

Banned
"What does that mean?"
"&#8230;die white devil."

Still a lot of kinks -- I don't know if I necessarily care about these emotional stories tracking (and I certainly don't care about Gil and his wife), so I'd rather just see them riff. But that first scene in Jake and Anne's apartment was classic Happy Endings goodness. I just wish someone or whoever would let the show be that.

(Also, this was much better than last week's)

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it at the start but fun episode.

I do agree not sure why everything feels like it need to be somewhat emotional but I did enjoy the jokes. Not so much about Gil and his ex-wife issues but still nice to see him paired up with Kay.

Derrick was kinda eh though.

Sober

"What does that mean?"
"…die white devil."

Still a lot of kinks -- I don't know if I necessarily care about these emotional stories tracking (and I certainly don't care about Gil and his wife), so I'd rather just see them riff. But that first scene in Jake and Anne's apartment was classic Happy Endings goodness. I just wish someone or whoever would let the show be that.

(Also, this was much better than last week's)
I never really complained about the emotional stories being played out, I do remember they did it a few times in Happy Endings and they worked out pretty well.

Gil is a little better than the past episodes where he was just straight up passive, but still, the same note and all that. Like they forgot why Max was so fun to watch, to me Gil feels like an even lazier and pathetic version of Max.

Kay got some good material but she's still a little empty to be whereas they give Gil way more material than they needed. And Dennah gets sent off to die again, which is weird cause I'd like to see what she can do. They should've just done 2 / 3 pairings instead of 2/2/1.

I'd also be curious to see if any upcoming episodes don't feature Casey Wilson in the A plot though. The show is a little weird right now, it's kinda stuck in wanting to be a joke delivery device but they haven't really played any of the plots straight up as that, and they are probably transitioning into the ensemble pairings instead but at the same time it also feels like a Casey Wilson vehicle (for various reasons I don't need to list) where everyone else not Ken Marino (and even at times) play second fiddle.

Vert boil

Christ, this show even sucks the funny out of Jess.

The tackle was the first time this show made me laugh.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I hear the gay character from Happy Endings made an appearance (in a Cusack costume) on last night's episode.

I've been enjoying it so far, but I can't stop comparing it to Happy Endings. Especially since the creator eschewed the format that made HE work so well. Probably not his choice, though.

Saty

This is bad. Didn't laugh once, only a couple of mild smiles. They even dropped 'Home' as the title song. Oh, also was weird how much the ep needed censoring, but please point me to the uncensored Dana in the outfit.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I watched the other episodes and it just feels like a watered down Happy Endings. The chemistry between the cast is weird and not as cohesive as HE and there hasnt been really any funny moments to make up for the bad chemistry. I will watch another episode and if that episode doesnt do something to grab me Im completely out.

vatstep

This is bad. Didn't laugh once, only a couple of mild smiles. They even dropped 'Home' as the title song. Oh, also was weird how much the ep needed censoring, but please point me to the uncensored Dana in the outfit.
Were these episodes filmed before the show was picked up by a broadcast network or something (I know nothing about this stuff)? It was kind of ridiculous in last night's episode; there were a handful of bleeps in the last one, too. I don't know why, but I find it annoying and kind of lazy. It can be hilarious when a network show throws in a rare f-bomb (Seinfeld and 30 Rock come to mind), but if it's happening every episode, it just seems forced.

I liked the pilot, but the last two episodes have been completely forgettable. I'll give it a couple more chances.

I really like the main couple and the bits that revolve around them, but I just can't get myself to care about any of their friends. I'll give it one or two more episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom