• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel 1943: Rise of Hydra Officially Announced - Coming 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Great visuals, not much else to go off since there's no gameplay.
I will say the increase in visual fidelity does draw attention to the things that are lacking, say facial animation and more complex fabrics.

Keeping track of the racial makeup of the cast makes you sound no different than the people you're mocking.
If the cast were 3 whites and one black character you wouldn't think twice about it, while the people you mock on Era would whine about it. You're doing more or less the same but inverse with race.

Diversity is not the same as pandering. I have nothing against the former.

Last edited:

YuLY

Bro you cant make this up, so it is Captain America and then 3 black people. My god what is the US dev fascination with black people, it is like there is no other race out there to pander to. Look at the freakin poster, it is Cap and then Black Panther and 2 other black people, like holy shit.

It’s an odd setting - occupied Paris in 1943 would be a pretty bleak place - with Jewish adults and children recently rounded up and sent to Auschwitz, with very little in the way of French resistance other than the odd blown up bicycle or bit of graffiti - and incredibly strict Nazi control.

Not sure how that chimes with the usual Disney meta humour nonsense.

Still - the graphics looks amazing and if the story is gritty/realistic enough, it could work. I am assuming the gameplay will just be Uncharted - jumping about/combat which should be fine.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
It's a tech demo for UE5.

"As the trailer hopefully illustrates, we're creating a story driven WW2-era Marvel action adventure game, with an ensemble of playable heroes. But, here's what's important to note, people might not think this, this isn't some custom demo that we made just for this show, that's our game. All the sequences you just saw in that trailer, are pull right out of our game, running real-time on Unreal Engine 5, no smoke and mirrors." - Amy Hennig

mortal

Gold Member
Diversity is not the same as pandering. I have nothing against the former.
lol pandering is it? I guess for you token black characters should be the norm, and anything that goes beyond that is pandering.
Even funnier to call it pandering when in all likelihood the majority of the characters in this game won't even be black, but I suppose that's two blacks too many for you.
It's not like black Americans were fighting in WWII or anything, no need to make characters inspired by them.

Edder1

Bro you cant make this up, so it is Captain America and then 3 black people. My God what is the US dev fascination with black people, it is like there is no other race out there to pander to. Look at the freakin poster, it is Cap and then Black Panther and 2 other black people, like holy shit.
It just proves to you that western devs don't care about representation, they are just trying to please BLM crowd. If they really cared about representation then we'd have more Latinos, South Asians, Asians in general, Arabs, South Americans etc being represented in games. Instead they shoehorn a couple of black people and act like they saved the world with their fake representation. Also there are way too many black females compared to males in games today, which is another proof of their fake representation. Propagandist activists is what they really are.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Far more impressive than I thought it would be. It actually feels quite interesting... which is no small feat given how fucking tired everything Marvel is these days.

What other golden age Marvel characters will turn up?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Far more impressive than I thought it would be. It actually feels quite interesting... which is no small feat given how fucking tired everything Marvel is these days.

What other golden age Marvel characters will turn up?
I think setting this during WW2 is a brilliant idea that will set it apart from other generic marvel stuff.

Also, i trust Amy and its great to finally get a single player superhero game again after Avengers, Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad.

Oof85

Game looks good but I'm doubtful the game design will hold up to the cast.

A super soldier means the whole world should be interactive, ie climbing easily, running fast etc.

If it's a guided experience with invisible walls galore, it's a waste imo.

And going by the past titles, that's exactly what I'm expecting.

The Dora imo is pretty though. Definitely not the Mad TV sis being the inspiration here. She's dope too tho.

Oof85

Bro you cant make this up, so it is Captain America and then 3 black people. My god what is the US dev fascination with black people, it is like there is no other race out there to pander to. Look at the freakin poster, it is Cap and then Black Panther and 2 other black people, like holy shit.
Have we no shortage of other games where this would just be four white people with one borderline super human in the mix?

Literally decades of the above and one title on the flipside and people can't handle it.

It's based off a Marvel ip, and probably has Hydra utilizing Vibranium in some format and nobody cares more about the misuse of vibranium than Wakanda.

Perrott

Gold Member
No platforms confirmed, and it's worth noting that this is the title's second reveal.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

MirageMew2

Black Panther and his famously white entourage the Dora Mildred

sendit

Amy Hennig
Whale GIF

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
lol pandering is it? I guess for you token black characters should be the norm, and anything that goes beyond that is pandering.
Even funnier to call it pandering when in all likelihood the majority of the characters in this game won't even be black, but I suppose that's two blacks too many for you.
It's not like black Americans were fighting in WWII or anything, no need to make characters inspired by them.
Blacks make up approx 14% of the US population. Captain America is a US superhero so a story around him set in Europe (mostly white) should have diversity based on the makeup of the country it’s for or the region it takes place in.

Black Panther is good for me, and makes since, but the other characters should be made up of other races/demographics if you actually want diversity. It’s Hispanics that really get screwed in this new world. Much higher population and even when they get a character it’s just a black kid whose given a Hispanic background for pander points.

Kinda getting a black supremacy vibe from this type of pandering.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
gdc_p_12_a_3x2_per80.jpg

Here is the cast

Top left to right. Khary Payton (Photo credit: Brad Buckman), Drew Moerlein (Photo credit: Andy & Sheila Photography), and Megalyn Echikunwoke (Photo credit: David Simon Dayan). Bottom left to right Lyne Renée (Photo credit: Lucia O'Connor-McCarthy), Marque Richardson (Photo credit: Bukunmi Grace), and Joel Johnstone.

Radical_3d

Bah. Politics ruined GAF/ERA. Came here expecting a 32 pages thread about the burning barrel’s smoke and you guys are talking about race. It’s an Amy Hennig game. It’s going to have diversity and inclusion. She’s progressive AF. I’m more conservative than all of you combined. So what. She’s still one of the few good game directors out there.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Blacks make up approx 14% of the US population. Captain America is a US superhero so a story around him set in Europe (mostly white) should have diversity based on the makeup of the country it’s for or the region it takes place in.

Black Panther is good for me, and makes since, but the other characters should be made up of other races/demographics if you actually want diversity. It’s Hispanics that really get screwed in this new world. Much higher population and even when they get a character it’s just a black kid whose given a Hispanic background for pander points.

And what was Wakandas demographic make up in 1943?

Why would Black Panther bring his one inexplicably Hispanic Dora Milaje (known to be selected from rival tribes to foster peace) to go on this mission?

And while Dum Dum Dogan is probably the most famous HC, I think most people link him with Nick Fury so giving Gabe a chance to shine isnt exactly outside the realm of possibility.

But yeah you are totally right.
Theres way too many Black people in this cast:
gdc_p_12_a_3x2_per80.jpg

conpfreak

Can't tell if serious or not. This game is lifting the story 'Flags of our Fathers' from the comics, where BP opposes Captain America. And a significant portion of Wakanda Forever was spent introducing Namor, who was retconned as Mesoamerica Mayan/Aztec inspired.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom