• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel announces Aliens vs. Avengers comic by Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic

near

Gold Member
4Kn1A8q.jpeg

"Now that Disney owns the rights to both Marvel and Alien (the latter stemming from the studio's 2019 acquisition of Fox assets), Entertainment Weekly can exclusively report that these two franchises are colliding in the crossover comic Aliens vs. Avengers, from writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Esad Ribic.

"I've never worked on a licensed or 'non-superhero' property the entire time I've been at Marvel, so when all of this came together almost two years ago, I kind of jumped at the opportunity," Hickman tells EW. "I love the Aliens universe and the mythology, and obviously just how atmospherically and well-designed everything is has always gotten my creative juices flowing. It was tricky finding a way to make these two things work together, but I think Esad and I landed on something that works for fans of both franchises."

"Probably one of the coolest things about the project is how we've found really fun ways to 'Avengerize' Aliens and 'alien-up' Avengers," Hickman says. "I think fans will be surprised at how elegantly some of those things fit together. It really turned out to be a chocolate-and-peanut-butter situation."

The brief plot synopsis for the crossover says, "It's all led to this: Xenomorphs reach Earth! The perfect organism meets a planet of superhumans. Who will be first to fall?"

That means this comic will show something that has never been seen in a proper Alien film. In fact, stopping the Xenomorphs from reaching Earth has been treated as so sacrosanct that it's the motivation behind the protagonists' climactic actions in Alien, Alien 3, and Prometheus, to name a few. But this series is set a little into the future, outside the typical continuity for either Alien or Avengers stories, which gives some room to play.

The first issue of Aliens vs. Avengers will hit stores July 24, just ahead of the Aug. 16 theatrical release of Alien: Romulus. Check out Ribic's first cover image above."

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is no different than any other crossover with the predator or aliens franchises. Terminator vs Alien, for example. Or Batman vs Predator.
Oh, it's QUITE different.

Those sci-fi franchises have at least some basis in a shared technology (and in the case of Aliens, predator, even robocop and terminator, a somewhat plausible shared universe) and a skill based power system more so than Avenger level superheroes. TMNT or Batman, both martial art types, can gel well with Predator/aliens. Superman vs Terminator, aliens, and predator....eh, not so much as it required a lot of nerfing of Supes or massively powering up the Terminators.

Now if they have a FULL creative license and can have chestbursters pop out of (and kill) supers like Bruce Banner, leading to a Hulk xeno or some other hyper powerful ones, that might be interesting, but I really can't see any MCU of the avengers level not just wiping the floor with xenos as represented in the films. Street level Marvel, like Blade, DD, and the like would be a bit different, I think. But Captain Marvel, really? Or Ironman? I just don't see it unless they have a REALLY creative story to tell.

The Stig

Oh, it's QUITE different.

Those sci-fi franchises have at least some basis in a shared technology (and in the case of Aliens, predator, even robocop and terminator, a somewhat plausible shared universe) and a skill based power system more so than Avenger level superheroes. TMNT or Batman, both martial art types, can gel well with Predator/aliens. Superman vs Terminator, aliens, and predator....eh, not so much as it required a lot of nerfing of Supes or massively powering up the Terminators.

Now if they have a FULL creative license and can have chestbursters pop out of (and kill) supers like Bruce Banner, leading to a Hulk xeno or some other hyper powerful ones, that might be interesting, but I really can't see any MCU of the avengers level not just wiping the floor with xenos as represented in the films. Street level Marvel, like Blade, DD, and the like would be a bit different, I think. But Captain Marvel, really? Or Ironman? I just don't see it unless they have a REALLY creative story to tell.
this.

though they did a superman v alien comic which was ok.

they powered superman down by having it take place in deep space, no where near any yellow stars.

jason10mm

Gold Member
this.

though they did a superman v alien comic which was ok.

they powered superman down by having it take place in deep space, no where near any yellow stars.
Yeah, its always fun for one-offs to have a "what if XXX hero DIDN'T HAVE POWERS" story against a tough foe and force them to fall back on wits instead of brawn. But I have my doubts this is where they will take an Avengers story, or anything with a heroine, TBH.

Still, the Aliens IP has been whored out for less, so guess we'll see.

captainpat

gonna guess the xenomorphs are gonna get a massive powerup so their a threat.

Also this is kind of funny since Marvel already has their own version of xenomorphs
904b1f8ea23cbcfd3d1e488b2e0694b3ce2c8595.jpg

Last edited:

slayerjman

Neo Member
Should have been Aliens vs Terminators
Dynamite Comics currently has the rights to publish Terminator comics so don't expect this crossover any time soon. What you can look forward to is sexy Terminators on every cover with mediocre interior art and similar quality stories.

jason10mm

Gold Member
a little out of topic, but this game is still not available on any preform legally right?
Define legally.........

I don't recall seeing it on any of the capcom arcade packs. So alas, I think your only option is mame, batocera, or some other emulator. It must be tied up in licensing hell because otherwise it seems like a slam dunk remake or at least a release on one of the capcom arcade packs.

AREYOUOKAY?

The emphasis this (I'm assuming AI generated) art puts in prominent croch pieces is downright HILARIOUS.

That's the kind of homoerotic stuff I can get behind :p
It's possible that's because I prompted it to be based off the 90's X-Men style, but sometimes you stuff like this.

Eog4rbk.jpeg

However I feel as if this one had you and your post in mind.

eTC90gl.jpeg

Either way I'm getting radical 90's manly as fuck stuff that I would totally buy back then.

Krxz5ja.jpeg
qWzdiJm.jpeg

Just who could stop Aliens combined with Skynet technology?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's possible that's because I prompted it to be based off the 90's X-Men style, but sometimes you stuff like this.

Eog4rbk.jpeg

However I feel as if this one had you and your post in mind.

eTC90gl.jpeg

Either way I'm getting radical 90's manly as fuck stuff that I would totally buy back then.

Krxz5ja.jpeg
qWzdiJm.jpeg

Just who could stop Aliens combined with Skynet technology?
Damn, now I want a Dredd/Robocop vs Aliens/Terminator crazy Mashup:p

We know xenos don't react to artificial humans (well, mostly....) so Terminators would be able to 'work' with them fairly well. And Dredd and Robocop would have a lot to (not) talk about :p

Top Bottom