• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

El Topo

Also Ned in Spider-Man and Amanda Cho in Age of UItron!

I didn't count Ned because the movie isn't out yet. Forgot about Cho. There's also Hogun from the Thor movies and Jim Morita from The First Avenger. We could count Mantis, even though she plays an alien.

SpaceWolf

Banned
He's Atlantean, so why not?

Oh sure, it's just Proff spoke with such confidence about the possibility of an Asian actor being cast in the role, I briefly wondered whether there was a comic book out there that briefly Namor established as canonically Asian or something, which left me a bit confused! That's what I was getting at.

I always had Zachary Quinto in my head myself.

zachary-quinto-2.jpg

It would be a great opportunity to finally cast an Asian actor in a more prominent, heroic role, however.

Pachimari

I was about to mention the same thing. I knew as soon as we made a new thread again for such a small thing, that the new thread wouldn't get pages upon pages of in-depth discussion and at the same time we would kill it in here. Not mad about it at all, since I could care less, but I don't follow the logic in bringing discussion out of this thread every time there's something slightly interesting.

Well, here's something for this thread:

https://www.inverse.com/article/320...tm_medium=on_site&utm_campaign=article-footer

Dr. Michalakis was selected by Marvel Studios in August 2014 to consult on Ant-Man, he tells Inverse over the phone. In a blog post for Quantum Frontiers, Michalakis details the story of meeting the filmmakers, including Paul Rudd, and how he introduced them to the “quantum realm,” a crucial plot point in the film. What fans didn’t know at the time is that the quantum realm will reverberate throughout the Marvel Cinematic Universe, including next year’s Captain Marvel.

Ant-Man bears ties to two other Marvel heroes: Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Captain Marvel, who will debut next year. Ant-Man and the “quantum realm” teased Doctor Strange, which introduced mysticism and the multiverse. Michalakis wasn’t involved in but did talk with the producers. “I think they did a great job describing [the multiverse]. Where these other states exist concurrently with yours. You don’t have to go somewhere else. It’s not like there’s another bubble universe out there, and you can travel to it or something.”

As for Captain Marvel, Dr. Michalakis wasn’t at liberty to talk in-depth. But he does hint that understanding the quantum realm will give a better understanding of Carol Danvers and her place in the MCU. “This is exciting for the future. There are different ways that some of these ideas appear on-screen in a few years. Not just for Ant-Man, but also for Captain Marvel and all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.”

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its all connected.

But it looks like they are going to departure from her Kree Originas then. But I guess thats ok, the Kree are far enough away from Captain Marvel.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Making a separate thread was a good way to bring the discussion in this thread to a screeching halt. Props.

I was about to mention the same thing. I knew as soon as we made a new thread again for such a small thing, that the new thread wouldn't get pages upon pages of in-depth discussion and at the same time we would kill it in here. Not mad about it at all, since I could care less, but I don't follow the logic in bringing discussion out of this thread every time there's something slightly interesting.

Why does it matter where we talk about it, as long as we're talking about it? Plus, there are fans of those characters who don't check habitually in this thread that get to hear the gossip in a way they wouldn't have otherwise.

Totally bizarre thing to get weirdly passive aggressive about, Kree.

The Kree

Banned
People would comment that the community could use more activity but we keep pulling the discussion away from it. This isn't the kind of news most casual fans would care about, so it's not like it's inevitable that someone would make a thread about it anyway as if it were a trailer or a casting announcement.

Quick

Banned
I'm sure we could muster up more discussion on other topics organically vs. having to scrape by on any small detail.

Why does it matter where we talk about it, as long as we're talking about it? Plus, there are fans of those characters who don't check habitually in this thread that get to hear the gossip in a way they wouldn't have otherwise.

Totally bizarre thing to get weirdly passive aggressive about, Kree.
Its annoying because the DC thread is always filled with conversation, and I'll come back to this thread 2 days later and there's like 1 new page.

jmood88

Its annoying because the DC thread is always filled with conversation, and I'll come back to this thread 2 days later and there's like 1 new page.
What difference does it make? The conversation on the Marvel topics is either happening here or in individual threads. I will never understand the obsession some of you have with where things are posted.

Anth0ny

So I just started reading the full Infinity Gauntlet omnibus for the first time. Currently still on the Silver Surfer stuff at the beginning:

Obviously there's a lot of stuff that can't be done in the MCU (either due to rights or due to it looking ridiculous in the universe they've built), but I'm also seeing a lot of stuff they could do.

Thanos appears to Silver Surfer in a "dream" and it makes for a very cool exchange between the two characters, complete with trippy ass early 90s acid-inspired visuals.

I kinda hope they can find a way to do this scene in Avengers 3, maybe with Peter Quill in place of Silver Surfer. Thanos quickly solidifies himself as a real dick, and I think the MCU could use that considering just how little of the character we've seen so far.

lol @ a 'safe' Spider-man movie. Did y'all want Mangold to direct it and make it dark and gritty?

This is supposed to ease folks back into spider-man after his last 3 movies have been bad-mediocre.

El Topo

This narrative that safe=bad is…ugh

There's nothing inherently bad about it. There is also nothing impressive about it either. It's not really hard to understand why someone might want filmmakers to shake things up after five movies.

It looks like a really good Spider-Man movie. Everything after that is icing on the cake.

If you feel that way, good. I don't think it looks better than the ASM trailers so far.

jph139

Spider-Man looks fine, but sandwiched between Guardians and Ragnarok (both of which look creative visually and are relatively fresh takes on the genre), it's definitely the most forgettable of the MCU movies this year on the surface.

The one novel thing about Homecoming is the MCU stuff - an "origin story" for a character that grew up surrounded by famous, established superheroes. Which is why the Stark complaints are weird to me.

BLACKLAC

If you feel that way, good. I don't think it looks better than the ASM trailers so far.

Nah, you could see the banal dead parents mystery coming a mile away in the ASM trailers, that was never going to be interesting to watch unfold and there was clearly never going to be an interesting payoff.

Homecoming (from the trailers) feels refreshing, in both Spider-man fare and after 15 films in the MCU. The thing that got me most excited even back during the first trailer is what they felt confident not showing; Spider-man swinging from skyscraper to skyscraper, with the final shot having the skyscrapers set in the far background while Spidey is swinging through the neighborhood with Iron Man. Told me everything I needed to know about their direction and I approve.

B5ZXBHP.gif

curb

Banned
After five Spidey movies where he was the only super hero around, I'm ready for a movie where he's where he belongs - within the broader Marvel universe. That's enough for me.

Marvel could Re-Air the 60's spider-man cartoon for 2 hours and it would still be better than The ASM series

skip1.png

he's a dude who swings between buildings, the fuck else is he supposed to do?

SpaceWolf

Banned
The original Amazing Spiderman wasn't awful, the cynical cash-grabbing enterprise of its very existence aside. It had a handful of things going for it.

The less said about the sequel the better.

I liked the first ASM. It wasn't great, but it could have gone places. Then the sequel happened, and my biggest issue was how it undermined Uncle Ben's death.

That and forcing so much pointless shit.

I was fine with it in the first movie, because it was setting up the world. But they really, REALLY wanted to hammer it into you about Pete's parents. Then again, ASM2 was trying it's goddamnedest to make a universe.

jph139

I didn't care for ASM at all, personally. That whole scene with Peter Parker brooding with his skateboard made it impossible to take the rest of the movie seriously.

Pachimari

I found ASM2 to be more fun than ASM1, and I'm not sure why. Was probably the colors popping, the beautiful costume and brightness that made me in a better mood. But generally, Lizard and Electro were both really lackluster.

Homecoming looks to have a helluva lot potential. And it was the music playing while we see the students walk up the hallway in High School that really got to me. It's that feeling and atmosphere I expect out of Homecoming and I expect Jon Watts to nail it all the way through.

I also have no problem with all of that tech Tony have equipped Peter with if his arc ends up with him wanting to do his superhero thing his own way without all of Tony's toys. Then it will be refreshing seeing Spidey play with all of these gadgets throughout the movie. Just imagine, 518 different combinations of webbings. They can be really creative with this tool alone.

I love how the suit lights up like it's an action figure in the backyard, it's just really fun. The voice over tech is a bit too much but again, I won't complain if it's stuff he will end up getting rid off. Peter being in the MCU having grown up with all of these idols is so fucking interesting. And that's the viewpoint we are getting now.

Just that scene alone with him talking in the phone to Tony about how his day been was amazing. It's totally that tone that makes me really happy and satisfied inside. It brings good feelings up in me.

Just that clip alone where he crawls into his bedroom and closes the window with his food is a scene straight out of the comic panels and it's exactly as I remember my Spider-Man growing up. And then mixing Ganke into this (honestly, I don't care they've renamed him to Ned Leeds) is such a clever decision because this best friend thing just works with high school Peter Parker too.

I can't stop being excited about all things MCU. I love it, with all my heart. Being on Spider-Man: Homecoming.

El Topo

ASM2 would have been the GOAT comic book movie if the Paul Giamatti scenes were without CGI, just him wearing this shitty prop.

Pretty sure Peter is going to throw all the extra tech in the trash later on in the movie.

the suit doesn't make the man, the man makes the suit.

curb

Banned
I was fine with it in the first movie, because it was setting up the world. But they really, REALLY wanted to hammer it into you about Pete's parents. Then again, ASM2 was trying it's goddamnedest to make a universe.

Definitely its downfall for me. I like ASM2 but it's so bogged down by all the extra garbage they tried to cram in there. I'm not in the "too many villains" crowd but cut Rhino, cut the parents, cut the Goblin and it could have been a much better movie. It seems like making the Sinister Six for ASM3 was such a priority them.

To me, they could have just set up Harry to be the Goblin at the end and got another movie out of the solid Peter/Gwen dynamic which I felt worked really well.

Top Bottom