• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

What are the odds that Infinity War is a look at an MCU where the heroes bite it, and then Thanos gets a taste for more death and alters reality to come to the MCU that we've been watching for the past 16+ films, and then the REAL battle begins?

... Sorry, there's nothing else to do but speculate and go gaga over the media trickle while we wait for the first legit trailer. >_>

Are you saying by killing the heroes, it actually results in peace since you don't have all the revenge and collateral damage and all that nonsense. This, of course, royally ticks off Death and Thanos realizes he f'd up. He reverts everything and goes off to be a farmer.

Peter: No thanks, Mr Stark. The events of this film have taught me I should stick to the smaller stuff for the now. Just keep to looking after the little guy. I'm not yet ready to be an Avenger.

Next film:

Peter: (Joins the Avengers in dodging plummeting moons thrown by Thanos)

I'm just saying, the events of Infinity War would seem to interfere somewhat with the arc Homecoming set-up for the character, even though I'm glad Spidey is being included in the movie.

No. They don't. Because the planet is in danger. Peter getting a temporary promotion to the Avengers makes sense in a situation where it's basically "Earth, bring forward every single one of your heroes or be destroyed by this cat that's chucking moons around like a softball." Fuck is he gonna sit on the sidelines for? This is easy.

It just wouldn't make sense for him to sit this one out, regardless of what happened in Homecoming. That's like arguing Tony and Steve's differences mean fuck all because they're going to team up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I actually want to apologise to the dude wondering if it would be like Infinity, because I guess it DOES look more like Infinity than the classic stories lol.

We still wont get those random Hickman characters like Starbrand tho :3

No. They don't. Because the planet is in danger. Peter getting a temporary promotion to the Avengers makes sense in a situation where it's basically "Earth, bring forward every single one of your heroes or be destroyed by this cat that's chucking moons around like a softball." Fuck is he gonna sit on the sidelines for? This is easy.

It just wouldn't make sense for him to sit this one out, regardless of what happened in Homecoming. That's like arguing Tony and Steve's differences mean fuck all because they're going to team up.

Happened in the comics all the time as far as I can recall. "Today, every single one of you is an Avenger."

XAL

Did anyone interview Feige and ask him about the timeline yet after Spider-Man threw it out the window for no good reason lol

Probably one of Sony's "final creative decision" moments.

Sony Employee: "should we ask Feige how many years later this should be?"
Amy Pascal: "nah"

SArcher

Banned
If they're doing Hickman stuff and other dimensions then they could introduce the Great Society or Squadron Supreme and troll DC in the process.

SpaceWolf

Banned
No. They don't.

...what? Who is "they"?

Peter getting a temporary promotion to the Avengers makes sense in a situation where it's basically "Earth, bring forward every single one of your heroes or be destroyed by this cat that's chucking moons around like a softball." Fuck is he gonna sit on the sidelines for?

This argument isn't related to my point, brother. Homecoming set up a particularly trajectory for Peter Parker's character where Peter realizes that when it comes to the big stuff, he often finds himself feeling completely overwhelmed and out of his element, and as a result he makes a conscious decision to step-away from "the big leagues" represented by The Avengers and instead focus on the small stuff. Even if the world is absolutely danger and the Avengers feel that a kid who can stick to walls could turn the tables against a mad alien god who can throw moons, the decision to bring Peter into the event still flies in the face of the character's profound realization at the end of Homecoming that he needs to mature more before stepping into the Avengers larger world. .

Going "but there's an extra special reason Peter's joining is Avengers!" still doesn't change the fact Peter that it's something of a reversal for the character in relation to his choices in his own film, by accepting the very suit he turned down in Homecoming on account of not feeling he was mature enough for it. The in-universe justification for it may check out, but on a story level it serves as something of anti-climax in terms of the development of Peter's character.

That's like arguing Tony and Steve's differences mean fuck all because they're going to team up.

Not at all. The ending for Civil War hinted pretty strongly that there was hope for Tony and Steve ultimately patching things up, and Tony has had further opportunity to grow and reflect as a character through Homecoming before we get to Infinity War. Peter's had no such opportunity between his own film and the most absurdly ambitious Avengers event in MCU history.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So, what do you think. Spider Man Spoilers:
Tony sells the Avengers tower, no mention of who to.
Defensive plot point to one day turn it into the Baxter Building should Marvel make nice with Fox?

SpaceWolf

Banned
We're not seeing the Osbornes for a long, long time in this series, guys....if ever. Feige stated as much in interviews. The Osbornes have been done to death in previous Spidey films and the people in charge of the new movies want to steer away from that.

We're not seeing the Osbornes for a long, long time in this series, guys....if ever. Feige stated as much in interviews. The Osbornes have been done to death in previous Spidey films and the people in charge of the new movies want to steer away from that.

Eh, so has the character of Spider-Man. It depends how long they hold onto the license, but with Venom out of play Spidey needs a big big bad.

LionPride

Banned

I ain't say we see them

I said they bought the tower

I think having them as a presence that you know is there but not shown could work

Give it till movie 4

SpaceWolf

Banned
Eh, so has the character of Spider-Man.

Right, but you can't really have a Spider-Man franchise without Spider-Man. You can have a Spider-Man franchise with a third iteration of both Norman and Harry Osborne in around a decade. Feige and Watts have stated in the past they're intentionally avoiding the Osbornes going forward. Don't be surprised if we don't see them for a while.

...what? Who is "they"?

You: "I'm just saying the events of IW seem to interfere with...

Me: "No they don't."

They = the events.

Having to start with that isn't exactly a positive sign, but, here we go....

This argument isn't related to my point, brother. Homecoming set up a particularly trajectory for Peter Parker's character where Peter realizes that when it comes to the big stuff, he often finds himself feeling completely overwhelmed and out of his element, and as a result he makes a conscious decision to step-away from "the big leagues" represented by The Avengers and instead focus on the small stuff. Even if the world is absolutely danger and the Avengers feel that a kid who can stick to walls could turn the tables against a mad alien god who can throw moons, the decision to bring Peter into the event still flies in the face of the character's profound realization at the end of Homecoming that he needs to mature more before stepping into the Avengers larger world. .

Going "but there's an extra special reason Peter's joining is Avengers!" still doesn't change the fact Peter that it's something of a reversal for the character in relation to his choices in his own film, by accepting the very suit he turned down in Homecoming on account of not feeling he was mature enough for it. The in-universe justification for it may check out, but on a story level it serves as something of anti-climax in terms of the development of Peter's character.

Not at all. The ending for Civil War hinted pretty strongly that there was hope for Tony and Steve ultimately patching things up, and Tony has had further opportunity to grow and reflect as a character through Homecoming before we get to Infinity War. Peter's had no such opportunity between his own film and the most absurdly ambitious Avengers event in MCU history.

It's exactly related, because, HE HAS TO JOIN THEM. THEY NEED EVERYBODY. Yes, even the kid who's still wet behind the ears and turned them down maybe a day ago because of it. It being a reversal doesn't mean much of anything if it's a reversal that makes complete sense. Life throws curve
moons
balls all the time that require people to do 180's with little preparation. We don't need some extended training montage to show Peter's ready now. He can be the exact same kid we just saw in HC. It sounds like his Spidey sense freaks him out because Thanos is coming and even he can't ignore what seems to be every fiber of his being telling him "hey, if this isn't stopped, everyone loses. Not just the Avengers. Your mature choice needs to be put on pause."

If anything, this movie's probably gonna give him a great moment or two but otherwise further highlight "you not ready, but you're needed, get your shit together youngblood".

Everything doesn't need set up. Some things are just common sense.

Happened in the comics all the time as far as I can recall. "Today, every single one of you is an Avenger."

This guy gets it.

Too bad the Defenders + Quake are still being ignored :(

Pachimari

I still kinda wish
the tower was the Avengers'
. It was just so symbolic. I am fine with the MCU moving forward though, it's just the symbolism of it.

Thanos throwing a planet against the Avengers + The tweet about opening gates to other dimensions.

May this be a hint to a MCU Version of Counter Earth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Earth_(comics)
That actually makes sense. We know the Living Tribunal, Celestials, and the Watchers exist in the MCU, so it is in the realm of possibility that the High Evolutionary exists too. He seems to be an MCU character since he's fought the Avengers and first appeared in a Thor comic, too.

I'd imagine that's one way to just wreck shit without consequences for the MCU Earth. Imagine you're a fledgling superhero and you see a thicc purple dude bring down a planet on your favorite superhero. You'd want to get out of the hero game as soon as fucking possible after that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
High Evolutionary is gonna be a Fox Property, I think he is first and foremost a X-Men Foe, but Counter-Earth could be a different case and Thanos can just snatch a different earth from another dimension.

Also, it could be a nod to Incursion.

SpaceWolf

Banned
You: "I'm just saying the events of IW seem to interfere with...

Me: "No they don't."

They = the events.

Having to start with that isn't exactly a positive sign, but, here we go....

Oh god, haha. My bad! Apologies, for some reason when I read your post I automatically assumed you were talking about some unidentified group of people and was a bit confused. I should have picked up on what you were talking about upon re-reading my own post.

That aside...

exactly related, because, HE HAS TO JOIN THEM. THEY NEED EVERYBODY. Yes, even the kid who's still wet behind the ears and turned them down maybe a day ago because of it. It being a reversal doesn't mean much of anything if it's a reversal that makes complete sense. Life throws curve
moons
balls all the time that require people to do 180's with little preparation. We don't need some extended training montage to show Peter's ready now. He can be the exact same kid we just saw in HC.

Mate...

See, here's the problem, dude. I think essentially we're coming at this from two completely different angles. I'm coming at this from the perspective of the narrative, of the writers for these films needing to build on certain set-ups and working within defined character arcs established in previous movies as a means of maintaining the integrity of many aspects of the story-telling. Whereas, conversely, I think you're coming at this from an in-universe perspective where you're talking about how "shit happens in life" and sometimes unexpected events just happen and how sometimes you just need to deal with it. I mean, sure, while technically that's true...this isn't real life. This is a story. And in stories, a lot of it is all about building a satisfying narrative where the characters feel like they're progressing in a natural way whilst maintaining the integrity of their prior characterization and past choices in order for the characters to feel cohesive.

Spider-Man becoming an Avenger in Infinity War isn't a huge narrative problem for the movie. It's not even a particularly noticeable one. But even you yourself just seemed to admit that Spider-Man's joining the Avengers for the film seems like something of a reversal on behalf of his individual story, only that "doesn't mean much of anything if it's a reversal that makes complete sense.". But what I'm saying dude, is that if the writers are needing to make reversals on Peter's character arc...essentially having to have the character immediately backtrack on the most important decision he makes in Homecoming, that's not a good thing. And by and large, it's faintly disappointing...because Peter putting on the outfit he previously, and very consciously, turned down in Homecoming robs Peter's decision in that movie of both its agency and impact, even if he has an in-universe reason for doing so.

Again, I'm very glad Spider-Man is in the movie, but I think overall, Infinity War is going to serve as something of an awkward place to serve as a continuation of Peter's story, especially in relation to the decisions he made at the end of that particular film. I think it's a fairly simple and justified point, but for some reason you seem so wildly opposed to the very concept, we just seem to keep butting heads.

This guy gets it.

Here's the thing about comic book events: A lot of comic book fans resent them because they often disrupt ongoing story-lines in isolated books by pulling characters into events that they're almost always forced to participate in, no matter how unnatural a transition for the character at large. Those kinds of events often lead to rushed conclusions of particular story-lines, or complicate them greatly in the manner in which they get to be told. And ironically enough, that's actually a problem that's started to surface increasingly in Marvel's own movies as well. So just happening to say "it happens in the comics" is a particularly bad rejoinder in this instance, because it's actually one particular element of comic-books that can often prove to be something of a detriment to isolated, character based storytelling and it's a tradition that a lot of comic book fans have begun to actively resent on account of the way they often disrupt the flow of the stories they happen to be engaged in.

Oh god, haha. My bad! Apologies, for some reason when I read your post I automatically assumed you were talking about some unidentified group of people and was a bit confused. I should have picked up on what you were talking about upon re-reading my own post.

That aside...

Mate...

See, here's the problem, dude. I think essentially we're coming at this from two completely different angles. I'm coming at this from the perspective of the narrative, of the writers for these films needing to build on certain set-ups and working within defined character arcs established in previous movies as a means of maintaining the integrity of many aspects of the story-telling. Whereas, conversely, I think you're coming at this from an in-universe perspective where you're talking about how "shit happens in life" and sometimes unexpected events just happen and how sometimes you just need to deal with it. I mean, sure, while technically that's true...this isn't real life. This is a story. And in stories, a lot of it is all about building a satisfying narrative where the characters feel like they're progressing in a natural way whilst maintaining the integrity of their prior characterization and past choices in order for the characters to feel cohesive.

Spider-Man becoming an Avenger in Infinity War isn't a huge narrative problem for the movie. It's not even a particularly noticeable one. But even you yourself just seemed to admit that Spider-Man's joining the Avengers for the film seems like something of a reversal on behalf of his individual story, only that "doesn't mean much of anything if it's a reversal that makes complete sense.". But what I'm saying dude, is that if the writers are needing to make reversals on Peter's character arc...essentially having to have the character immediately backtrack on the most important decision he makes in Homecoming, that's not a good thing. And by and large, it's faintly disappointing...because Peter putting on the outfit he previously, and very consciously, turned down in Homecoming robs Peter's decision in that movie of both its agency and impact, even if he has an in-universe reason for doing so.

Again, I'm very glad Spider-Man is in the movie, but I think overall, Infinity War is going to serve as something of an awkward place to serve as a continuation of Peter's story, especially in relation to the decisions he made at the end of that particular film. I think it's a fairly simple and justified point, but for some reason you seem so wildly opposed to the very concept, we just seem to keep butting heads.

Here's the thing about comic book events: A lot of comic book fans resent them because they often disrupt ongoing story-lines in isolated books by pulling characters into events that they're almost always forced to participate in, no matter how unnatural a transition for the character at large. Those kinds of events often lead to rushed conclusions of particular story-lines, or complicate them greatly in the manner in which they get to be told. And ironically enough, that's actually a problem that's started to surface increasingly in Marvel's own movies as well. So just happening to say "it happens in the comics" is a particularly bad rejoinder in this instance, because it's actually one particular element of comic-books that can often prove to be something of a detriment to isolated, character based storytelling and it's a tradition that a lot of comic book fans have begun to actively resent on account of the way they often disrupt the flow of the stories they happen to be engaged in.

Eh. Agree to disagree.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Mature decisions don't mean shit when there's an intergalactic genocidal maniac about to blow up Aunt May's apartment and everything else ever.

Again, my criticisms are solely focused on a narrative level. A solid in-universe justification for a sudden reversal in the way a character's arc seems to be unfolding doesn't make it any less of a reversal in regards to the character's development.

Again, my criticisms are solely focused on a narrative level. A solid in-universe justification for a sudden reversal in the way a character's arc seems to be unfolding doesn't make it any less of a reversal in regards to the character's development.
"I'm sorry Thanos, this negatively affects my character arc"

*Thanos rearranges the atoms in Peter's skull anyway*

SpaceWolf

Banned
Until we see how it unfolds it isn't really a valid criticism.

While this is certainly true we should all wait to see the finished film, given Peter's limited screen-time in a film already absurdly stuffed with Marvel characters (Feige and Holland have stated Spider-Man won't be in the film for very long at all)...I don't see how there can be much more context to that specific criticism. We know Peter puts on the Avengers suit and teams up with the Avengers, and we know why he does it. I don't think there's going to be a whole lot more to his decision than that.

Conceptually, I have a problem with how they're handling Peter's progression between both movies. But you're right in regards to the fact that we should all probably wait for the finished film before passing proper judgment.

"I'm sorry Thanos, this negatively affects my character arc"

*Thanos rearranges the atoms in Peter's skull anyway*

Haha, love it!

Peter: Tony, breh, this maniac is gonna kill us all. I want to help you guys and fight.

Tony: Fine, you little twerp, but you gotta wear this if you want to stay alive. (Throws Avengers suit at Peter's head)

Top Bottom