• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

Dalek

Watching GOTG v2 again today-it blows my mind that there were people that complained that they couldn't see the action in the background during the opening sequence when Groot is dancing. Talk about missing the point.

The Kree

Banned
You guys think I can go into The Defenders without watching any Iron Fist or Luke Cage? Because I really don't wanna.

Luke Cage is good. I'd recommend watching that.

But instead of watching Iron Fist, subscribe to Highlights magazine and read it upside down every month.

El Topo

You guys think I can go into The Defenders without watching any Iron Fist or Luke Cage? Because I really don't wanna.

I don't think they're mandatory, even if Luke Cage is quite enjoyable. Iron Fist is garbage, but it might be fun for you to watch the first episode if only to see just how bad it really is.

Edit:
SpaceWolf was so kind and prepared a spot-on summary of Iron Fist.

Quick

Banned

If you can find a video to summarize both shows, that's probably sufficient, especially for Iron Fist.

Seems like Daredevil is the most essential to The Defenders.

Mafro

I though Luke Cage probably was on par with Jessica Jones and one of the best out of the Netflix shows, and Iron Fist was fine (the amount of people on here falling over themselves to tell everyone else how shit it was is crazy)

From the looks of things both seasons of Daredevil will be the only essential ones to watch if you're not going to do all four shows since they had most to do with the Hand and serves as the main set up for Defenders.

sTiTcH AU

Last week I decided to watch all the MCU movies in order on Bluray, now up to age of Ultron.

One thing I noticed with Cap 1 and I am sure its been picked up a 1000 times but it was the first time I noticed it but the Red Skull didn't actually die. The tesseract transported him somewhere. I always assumed he did because Cap specifically says that he is dead. So is it possible that he could show up again in the Infinity Wars with Thanos?

Gleethor

Last week I decided to watch all the MCU movies in order on Bluray, now up to age of Ultron.

One thing I noticed with Cap 1 and I am sure its been picked up a 1000 times but it was the first time I noticed it but the Red Skull didn't actually die. The tesseract transported him somewhere. I always assumed he did because Cap specifically says that he is dead. So is it possible that he could show up again in the Infinity Wars with Thanos?
They definitely left the door open, but I kinda doubt it. Weaving didn't really want to come back and I think whatever plans they had for him were probably in phase 2.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its not that I dont care about Defenders, I just really want to finish Iron Fist before and this is delayed to infinity due more interesting shows, movies and games to spend my time on right now.
Maybe I manage to watch booth in my holidays.

AMUSIX

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jevcdyHhvE4

(again, I really think this should have been in the OP for the Defenders thread)

Other than that...as far as plot goes, here's what I think you might need to know for the Defenders:

-Luke Cage moved to Harlem, started a relationship with Claire, and got caught up with a detective, Misty Knight. Then he went to jail.

-Iron Fist met a martial arts instructor named Colleen Wing. She was friends with Claire.
It gets revealed that she was working for The Hand, sort of. Turns out there are different factions of The Hand, Madame Gao is big in one of them, Colleen was working for another. Eventually Colleen leaves hers.
And I think that's the entire bit of plot that you need to know.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
There's no better time to bring back Red Skull than now. Just have T'Challa, Sam and Rhodey kick the shit out of him for 3 hours.

I think Red Skull is pretty much a lock that he is in one of the infinity wars movie, since the tesseract has some sort of transportation ability and he was literally beamed away at the end of Cap 1.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'd love for Red Skull to come back as they left that door wide open for him but I don't know how they would.

Fhtagn

I'd love for Red Skull to come back as they left that door wide open for him but I don't know how they would.

I think it was intentional to leave a door open to having all the villains killed with infinity stones come back at once as a inversion of the Avengers, but it looks like Infinity War is going with the Black Order instead; if Red Skull/Ronan/Ultron were coming back we'd have heard casting news already.

There's a chance they come back later, and Red Skull might be a topical villain in particular, but I'd be legit surprised if we don't hear confirmation of their return during production unless they show up in a stinger first.

David Tennant somehow returning for JJ S2:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/14/jessica-jones-david-tennant-season-2/

Hd2fyuV.jpg

The actor will appear in season 2 of the Marvel-Netflix drama about the titular super-powered private investigator played by Krysten Ritter, EW has confirmed. The Doctor Who alum starred in the first season as Kilgrave, a mind-controlling villain who tormented Jessica until — nearly two-year-old spoiler alert! — she grew immune to his powers and snapped his neck, killing him in the season finale.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I think it was intentional to leave a door open to having all the villains killed with infinity stones come back at once as a inversion of the Avengers, but it looks like Infinity War is going with the Black Order instead; if Red Skull/Ronan/Ultron were coming back we'd have heard casting news already.

There's a chance they come back later, and Red Skull might be a topical villain in particular, but I'd be legit surprised if we don't hear confirmation of their return during production unless they show up in a stinger first.

Well they could use them in Avengers 4 (which title should be a spoiler to Infinity War) and it is currently shooting now.
Were there any characters/actors appearing in the MCU where we didn't know they would be in it until watching the movie in the theaters?

Also to keep in mind that in Avengers 3-4 the actors don't get a full script, just their parts so it could be possible that they are keep the casting news (such as Red Skull) under wraps.

From what I hear Hugo Weaving didn't love being in Captain America one. Red Skull would probably be recast, which is a shame because Weaving was good in the role.

So I'm guessing that eventually they'll run out of villains and heroes to kill off and they'll just keep reviving them like in the comics, right? You can't keep some of these characters alive forever.
I wonder how the movie going audience would deal with that. Characters dying left and right only to come back later through some inane ways. We're used to a character or two coming back in a film or tv franchise, but if these films become like comic books it'll be on a whole different level.

iirc, Hugo Weaving was uncomfortable playing a comic book version of Hitler because Nazism is too evil to treat like a comic.

Why he took the role to start with, I don't know.

From what I hear Hugo Weaving didn't love being in Captain America one. Red Skull would probably be recast, which is a shame because Weaving was good in the role.

So I'm guessing that eventually they'll run out of villains and heroes to kill off and they'll just keep reviving them like in the comics, right? You can't keep some of these characters alive forever.
I wonder how the movie going audience would deal with that. Characters dying left and right only to come back later through some inane ways. We're used to a character or two coming back in a film or tv franchise, but if these films become like comic books it'll be on a whole different level.

Hugo Weaving is not totally against of returning, probably because MCU blown up since Avenger 1 .

I can see the teaser of A4 being that those villains related to the stones returning due to the infinity stones breaking or something. They can even show a flashback on how they never died but was absorb etc.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

iirc, Hugo Weaving was uncomfortable playing a comic book version of Hitler because Nazism is too evil to treat like a comic.

Why he took the role to start with, I don't know.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/hugo-weaving-enjoyed-outrageousness-of-playing-red-skul-1787006799
I thought it would be a lot of fun to play a classic über-Nazi, someone who thought Hitler was a pussy! [Laughs] It was fun to play; I enjoyed the outrageousness of the German accent that I employed and I enjoyed the extraordinary mask and costume, even though it was unbelievably hot inside it. I enjoy mask work; I enjoy trying to animate masks and reveal certain things that the mask itself might not reveal. V for Vendetta was another example of that, but there was less animation within that mask versus the Red Skull.

In terms of me going back and doing another one, I don’t know. I’m not sure what they’re up to with the Red Skull.

I can't find the interview where he said he would be willing to come back if Marvel wanted him back.

Well that's good to know.
I thought it was weird the way he died - it looked like he was absorbed by the tesseract more than killed/disintegrated by it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Ugh, I was really hoping we were going to move beyond the Purple Man stuff for JJ S2 in favor of the show focusing on self-contained episodic mysteries. Hopefully Tennant is just making a cameo.

Wait

Did they go back for the Aeather after he died?

I can't remember shit.
I'd imagine so, otherwise how does the Collector get his hands on it via Sif and the other Asgardian?

Bernthal speaks on the Punisher. The interviewer asked how he handled playing the Punisher as an antihero.
It's an interesting predicament. To put him as the central character is interesting. I think that my big struggle with him is that one of my biggest kind of things that I'm always fighting for on set is, I always want to preserve the essence of Frank, and have the right and be bold enough to really turn my back on the audience, and not do things to win the audience's favor, but rather stay true to the character and the essence of who he is.

I think Frank is brutal. Frank is damaged. Frank is tortured. I think Frank, when he engages in violence, there's something utterly satisfying and addictive for him to be doing that, and that may not be something that the audience can agree with or get behind. But I've always fought to preserve that, and I think that that's a part of him. I think the pain and what's behind the violence and the reason why he's committing the violence, that's a different story. I want to explore that, too.

So I think that's the real challenge: being bold enough to not make him too heroic, at least "heroic," is important to me. That being said, I think there's Frank Castle inside of everybody. I think being a father and being a husband, he's a character that I deeply empathize with.
I really hope they don't make Frank a hero, because Frank isn't one. He does "good things"in horrifying ways.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I absolutely loved Bernthal's take on Castle but I HATED the idea that "brain damage made him the Punisher".

Plus, how absurdly overcomplicated they made the event that led to the death of his family. What was it again? The Irish Mob, a biker gang and some ex-military personnel (who coincidentally happened to have served with Frank) met in a park before some cops botched a surveillance operation which led to things spinning out of control?

Goddamnit, DD S2.

Top Bottom