• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

curb

Banned
I'm still left unbelievably hyped for Captain Marvel. Kree, Skrull and that awesome concept art. I'm sold.

My concern over how they'll get her in with the Avengers have eased. Someone in the panel thread mentioned Feige's comparison of Carol to Superman. Either there'll be some stasis/time thing or she'll just age slower - they'll make it work.

Oh, and that second potato cam footage of the IW trailer was amazing, even in horrible resolution.

Glass Rebel

I'm still left unbelievably hyped for Captain Marvel. Kree, Skrull and that awesome concept art. I'm sold.

My concern over how they'll get her in with the Avengers have eased. Someone in the panel thread mentioned Feige's comparison of Carol to Superman. Either there'll be some stasis/time thing or she'll just age slower - they'll make it work.

Oh, and that second potato cam footage of the IW trailer was amazing, even in horrible resolution.

I was super-meh on Captain Marvel but this new stuff has me kinda hyped. I really do hope that we get to see Mar-Vell, Phyla-Vell and/or Ronan though.

curb

Banned
I was super-meh on Captain Marvel but this new stuff has me kinda hyped. I really do hope that we get to see Mar-Vell, Phyla-Vell and/or Ronan though.

I didn't even think about Ronan. This seems like a great opportunity to bring him back naturally and flesh him out a little more since he's rather one-note in Guardians.

I guess her movie is going to explain why Fury feels the need to create the Avengers. If she's seen some shit in the Kree/Skrull War he knows what's coming. Also put credence to the Man on the Wall theory.

El Topo

It feels a bit weird if Fury felt the need to create the Avengers in the 90s, then only starts recruiting superheroes in 2008 with Iron Man. They better have some good explanations for us.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It feels a bit weird if Fury felt the need to create the Avengers in the 90s, then only starts recruiting superheroes in 2008 with Iron Man. They better have some good explanations for us.

There was nobody super around.

Or they leave a opportunity open for a Post-Phase III Secret Avengers movie.

Pachimari

rgDcxkd.jpg

4Ps4nY3.jpg

And from the street level thread:

curb

Banned
I guess her movie is going to explain why Fury feels the need to create the Avengers. If she's seen some shit in the Kree/Skrull War he knows what's coming. Also put credence to the Man on the Wall theory.

I'm unfamiliar with this?

When did Fury become the head of Shield?

Anth0ny

They will.

Feige has all this shit planned out 10 years in advance.

You people really need to stop eating up all the PR. They're very clearly flexible in how they approach MCU, as evidenced e.g. by them removing the Inhumans movie.
I imagine that Feige knows what characters should be introduced and what plot points need to be hit, but the rest is created in collaboration with the directors and Feige.

Anth0ny

You people really need to stop eating up all the PR.

why would they purposely choose to have it take place in the 90s if they didn't have an answer to the super obvious "THEN WHY DID AVENGERS INITIATIVE START WITH IRON MAN?" question?

It's not just PR when they've proven time and time again with MCU films that they have their shit together. Other MCU related questions we've seen over the years:

How are they going to do Avengers without it being an unfocused mess? How are they going to do a talking Raccoon? How are they going to do Civil War with all of those characters? Why is Tony Stark all over this Spider-Man film?

and every time it turned out fine. Feige is the real deal.

El Topo

You claimed they have planned out everything ten years in advance. That is clearly not the case, given that movies have been added and removed. Now you instead talk about how amazing he is and how everything makes sense, which is amusing, given that we recently had the discussion how the timeline with Homecoming doesn't really work out.

Like, is the whole Fury explanation a big thing? No, not at all, it's insignificant. Is it possibly something that wasn't planned ten years in advance? Absolutely.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's pretty easy to explain.

*Carol fights Skrulls*
*CM ends with Carol being in cryo-sleep/lost in space/etc*
*Inspired by Carol, Fury goes around the world for 18 years trying to find more superhumans*
*Finds none*
*2008, Tony Stark becomes the first major hero to reveal their identity*
*Fury approaches him to finally get his Avengers Initiative in action and see any other heroes start popping up now*
*They do*

greatgeek

Banned
Maybe factor in some bureaucratic resistance as well. IIRC, World Security Council members express skepticism/disdain for the Avenger concept in A1 and WS.

The Skrull threat in CM might also retroactively provide Fury's motivation for developing Tesserect-based weapons.

Skab

Tony wasn't the first though.

When Fury first talks to him in the Iron Man after credits scene, he very plainly says "You think youre the only super hero in the world?" and tells him he's become part of a bigger thing, but didn't know it yet.

mreddie

Well, Fury knew about the Tesseract, Ant-Man, Wasp, HYDRA, Cap and other stuff before 08 so likely he dropped that not only hero in the universe line because Iron Man wasn't the first, because he wasn't. He WAS the first one to be known for the modern times.

Neoxon

James Gunn did a pretty lengthy explanation on Groot's growth in the MCU & why he's Adolescent Groot in Infinity War.
James Gunn said:
On Groot and His Growth:

Potential SPOILER for those of you who haven't watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 all the way to the end, and for those of you who don't want to know anything about the Infinity War trailer that played at San Diego Comic Con and at D23.

People are asking me a lot about how fast Groot grows, because in his appearance in the Infinity War trailer he was an ADOLESCENT (not a "teen" as has been reported in many places). This is exactly the same state of growth you see in the post credits scene of Vol. 2: Adolescent Groot.

In terms of how fast Groot grows overall, I can tell you this: Baby Groot appears two months after the Infant Groot we see at the end of Vol. 1. The post-credits scene with Adolescent Groot and Peter Quill is YEARS after the ending of Vol. 2. I won't say exactly how many years at this time, but be clear that it took him a fair amount of time just to go from Baby Groot to Adolescent Groot. (As a side note, I'll point out that Peter Quill can obviously understand what "I am Groot" means in the post-credits scene, so somehow he's learned to understand him in the same way Rocket has).

Like dogs, who grow at a different rate than humans, and spend a different percentage of their lives in adolescence than humans do, Groot and Humans do not grow at some exact exchange rate. So, although two months seems to be about two years (as Baby Groot seems to behave roughly like a two year old), it is not fair to assume that every month is a year to Groot. He has an alien biology and ages in a completely different way than a human being. Different aspects of his growth may take longer or shorter than a human's.

And, other than that, I'm going to leave you in suspense - frankly, for quite a while, as it will take years to show you how Groot goes from infancy to adulthood.

You claimed they have planned out everything ten years in advance. That is clearly not the case, given that movies have been added and removed. Now you instead talk about how amazing he is and how everything makes sense, which is amusing, given that we recently had the discussion how the timeline with Homecoming doesn't really work out.

Like, is the whole Fury explanation a big thing? No, not at all, it's insignificant. Is it possibly something that wasn't planned ten years in advance? Absolutely.

In fairness, I don't think Feige would claim it's all planned out. At best they have a destination, but the route is played by the ear. And for the most part they haven't pulled any harsh retcons like the Incredible Hulk stinger.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
In fairness, I don't think Feige would claim it's all planned out. At best they have a destination, but the route is played by the ear. And for the most part they haven't pulled any harsh retcons like the Incredible Hulk stinger.

I dont even think that. The Russos have pointed out, that they had a goal set for Winter Soldier, so my assumption is, that it goes kinda like this:

Winter Soldier: Take down SHIELD
Age of Ultron: Introduce a Gem and the Twins
Ant Man: Introduce the Macroverse
Civil War: Break the Avengers apart
etc etc

The rest can vary and the director can bring up stuff.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
King Groot in Vol. 3, you heard it here first.

On Groot and His Growth:

Potential SPOILER for those of you who haven't watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 all the way to the end, and for those of you who don't want to know anything about the Infinity War trailer that played at San Diego Comic Con and at D23.

People are asking me a lot about how fast Groot grows, because in his appearance in the Infinity War trailer he was an ADOLESCENT (not a "teen" as has been reported in many places). This is exactly the same state of growth you see in the post credits scene of Vol. 2: Adolescent Groot.

In terms of how fast Groot grows overall, I can tell you this: Baby Groot appears two months after the Infant Groot we see at the end of Vol. 1. The post-credits scene with Adolescent Groot and Peter Quill is YEARS after the ending of Vol. 2. I won't say exactly how many years at this time, but be clear that it took him a fair amount of time just to go from Baby Groot to Adolescent Groot. (As a side note, I'll point out that Peter Quill can obviously understand what "I am Groot" means in the post-credits scene, so somehow he's learned to understand him in the same way Rocket has).

Like dogs, who grow at a different rate than humans, and spend a different percentage of their lives in adolescence than humans do, Groot and Humans do not grow at some exact exchange rate. So, although two months seems to be about two years (as Baby Groot seems to behave roughly like a two year old), it is not fair to assume that every month is a year to Groot. He has an alien biology and ages in a completely different way than a human being. Different aspects of his growth may take longer or shorter than a human's.

And, other than that, I'm going to leave you in suspense - frankly, for quite a while, as it will take years to show you how Groot goes from infancy to adulthood.

Quote for the tin-foil-people

Vibranium

Banned
Punished Cap/Nomad looks really good. I kind of wish he had some sort of tech mask as a throwback to the domino mask, but I guess actor face time is important. I wish post-brainwash Bucky would wear goggles styled like his comics mask too.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Slayven? Joining the Carol Corps?

tenor.gif

Seriously though, I'm not a fan of Carol at all in the comics but Marvel's saying all the right things with this movie. Having it set in Earth & space in a period where almost everyone in the MCU is still alive sets up a world of possibilities.

Pachimari

Just found out Avengers: Infinity War premieres here on April 26, two days before my birthday. It'll be a Thursday, and if I go see it in the cinema each day in all of May that'll be six weeks. So that will end up around $790, and we could add a Hot Toys Thanos figure for $300 and celebrate the MCU culmination for about $1000. These festivities will make Thanos happy.

jojz0Us.jpg

I dont even think that. The Russos have pointed out, that they had a goal set for Winter Soldier, so my assumption is, that it goes kinda like this:

Winter Soldier: Take down SHIELD
Age of Ultron: Introduce a Gem and the Twins
Ant Man: Introduce the Macroverse
Civil War: Break the Avengers apart
etc etc

The rest can vary and the director can bring up stuff.

You're both saying essentially the same thing, really.

Which is that there is an outline of major plot points and the specifics are, for the most part, determined once it comes time to write the script. This is generally the common process for developing any long lasting series provided there's ample development time. I.e. movies and books.

Just found out Avengers: Infinity War premieres here on April 26, two days before my birthday. It'll be a Thursday, and if I go see it in the cinema each day in all of May that'll be six weeks. So that will end up around $790, and we could add a Hot Toys Thanos figure for $300 and celebrate the MCU culmination for about $1000. These festivities will make Thanos happy.

jojz0Us.jpg
So, Pachimari, buddy, pal,

I hear you got plenty of dough, care to share the love?

Top Bottom